Help me, 5D Mark iii order now or wait for a "possible deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii. I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i. I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography. If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale. Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas? If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful. I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dpedro said:
I am seriously sitting here ready to pull the trigger and order my 5D Mark iii. I have L glass and currently shoot with a T4i. I do just fine with my camera and LR4, but know that the FF be a better choice, especially for my indoor event photography. If I was ready to order this last month or the month before, i wouldn't be worried about anything, but this close to Nov, I have to wonder if I am going to be angry with myself for missing the next 2750.00 type sale. Typically, do these sales begin early Nov or closer to black Friday/X-Mas? If B and H only drops this camera by 100 or so, I won't care, but saving almost 800 bucks had I waited 2-3 weeks would def make me regretful. I know it shows a 5D3 in my profile, but I had planned on having it by this week...LOL Everything else in my profile I own now.

Wait for the 2750$ deal. I managed to get my 5D3 for 3099$ and it was the best choice ever.

Upvote 0
DO it do it do it. Pull the trigger... Your are going to be so happy. I came up from the 7D to the 5D III and pre-ordered it to boot. Paid a lot of money and I don't regret a thing. Full frame is a whole different animal, well No S#!+, right? But man I just could not appreciate that until I shot with a FF for awhile... Just a whole different animal.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time. Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me. I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that. I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical. I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday. If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
dpedro said:
Thanks, even the B and H salesman hinted that I may want to hold off a few weeks just to be safe. Either way, I will have one well before Christmas. The more I save on the sale, the faster I am getting my 24-70 2.8 ii and after that a 70-200 2.8 ii. Probably done for a long while unless I upgrade my 85 for the L someday

Did the saleman told you about 35L or 50L too??? ::)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RC said:
I don't see any significant drop in price (below $3000) for a long time. Canon will probably do a rebate around the holidays or early 2013 which I wouldn't expect it to be more than $150.

The Adorama and now the Beach Camera ebay sales puzzle me. I still do not understand how and why they were able to do that. I've read what others have posted but I remain skeptical. I would not count on a 3rd ebay sale but who knows.

If I was aching to pull the trigger, I'd try and wait until Thanksgiving/Black Friday. If no sales or rebates then, just order it and enjoy.

+1....I can see Canon offers $200 - $300, plus maybe another $100 from BH during end of year holiday sales.

For 2012, I bet $5 that 5D III price will not drop below $2900 even on big holidays. I'm talking about an offical price drop from Canon, not through Ebay deals.

Upvote 0
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday. I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps. Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it.

Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit? I am leaning toward keeping it. I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL.

After the dust settles, I should have the 5D3/T4i the 35L/85 1.8/24-70 2.8L/100 L Macro/70-200 F4L and 2.8L

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
dpedro said:
yeah, I don't care what happens, I will own this damn camera by or on Black Friday. I am trying to get a 24-70 and upgrade my 70-200 f4l to the 2.8 ii, so every penny helps. Rebate, package deal, what ever they do for the holiday, I am getting it.
I'm in a very similar situation as you. I too plan to buy a 5D3 but not at the current price. Eventually I'll break down and get one--how long and at what price remains to be seen. I don't want to spend all my money on body since there are a couple of lens I want to get. I don't have a problem spending money on photography but I do have a problem spending $3500 on just a body.

dpedro said:
Would you sell the f4l 70-200 to get the 2.8 ii or keep both for times you want to grap a lighter kit? I am leaning toward keeping it. I used my buddies 2.8 ii and that sucker felt like it wanted to tear the front of my old t4i clean off...LOL.
I also have the 70-200 F4 IS and will mostly likely sell it for the 2.8 II. I realize I could benefit from the extra stop more so than the compactness of the F4. I can't justify keeping both. If money is not an issue at all, I'd keep both but I suspect most people don't need both, can't justify both, or can't afford both.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.