Here are some more images of the Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here are some images of the upcoming Canon EOS M6 Mark II. The official announcement for this camera will be this week and shipping will likely begin in late September. Pricing has yet to leak out.

M6II-1-168x168.jpg

M6II-2-168x168.jpg

M6II-3-168x168.jpg

M6II-4-168x168.jpg

M6II-5-168x168.jpg

M6II-6-168x168.jpg

M6II-8-168x168.jpg

M6II-9-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

++k

Jul 27, 2019
When I first saw the leaked video I noticed that the palm grip to the right of the back buttons was extended quite a bit, making it much more comfortable to hold. And now with these photos is quite clear how much better ergonomics we could expect from Mk II.

I took these new images and combined them with old ones into gifs that show the relative size increase. I aligned the images using the back screen and the mount position to make sure they're in proper scale. Take a look:

Back-Mk1-vs-Mk2.gifFront-Mk1-vs-Mk2.gif

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
When I first saw the leaked video I noticed that the palm grip to the right of the back buttons was extended quite a bit, making it much more comfortable to hold. And now with these photos is quite clear how much better ergonomics we could expect from Mk II.

I took these new images and combined them with old ones into gifs that show the relative size increase. I aligned the images using the back screen and the mount position to make sure they're in proper scale. Take a look:

Huh, indeed! Hadn't realized. Shame that they apparently weren't able to fit a larger battery though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And the grip is much more substantial. Here are the top views compared, this time I took the hotshoe mount to align the images:
Thanks for the graphical comparisons!

For me, the small size is a very important feature and bigger ≠ better. I'll be hanging onto my M6 and skipping the M6II.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Personally I think it looks great especially in the two-tone silver.

To anyone considering buying any of the Ef-m cameras my advice is go and try holding one - I think it will be a pleasant surprise. They are both smaller than you expect but also more comfortable than you expect and have a very high quality feel. Not an easy thing to pull off.

I think it's why Canon went with a separate mount for crop sensors. With mirrorless it allows them to really make things smaller over the RF mount. With SLRs it probably wouldn't have made sense to have two different mounts and also in the days before high density full frame sensors there really was a market for cameras like the 7D for birders. However increasingly those photographers will want full frame and crop as needed.

Going forward I think we'll see Ef-S disappear in the coming years and the main consumer cameras Canon offers be Ef-m. They are small, light, have some great lenses, work flawlessly with the Ef glass and have ever improving autofocus - all things that will appeal to the average user. They also have ergonomics that will appeal to consumers.

For me it's such a nice travel camera to have, the 22mm lens means I can take it out on evening meals, the 11-22 is a great lens and small and the 55-200 strikes a nice balance, going for a small aperture at the long end to keep it small. Unlike some other crop systems it works out to a kit a lot smaller than for example using the Sony A7 system and makes virtue of the crop sensor. My only complaint is some of the lenses being made in Taiwan though that's still vastly preferable for all sorts of quality and moral reasons than China. The M5 is made in Japan, I wonder if the M6 II will be.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is it just me that thinks Canon's technology roadmap is running at least 5 years behind Sony's for example? Nikon released what is arguably the best prosumer DSLR ever made and what has Canon's response been? Sony's A7rIV is what I was hoping that Canon would release this year as the replacement to the now obsolete 5DS R, and again Canon's response is..........? Becoming harder for me to continue my lifetime Canon brand loyalty!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
What's the story on the prominently placed Manual Focus switch? Is MF something that M users are likely to use? Do M lenses even have mechanical focus? Seems like an odd chioce.

I guess they wanted to add an AF-ON button and there was real estate for a switch so they thought what the hell. Would be nice if it turned out to be programmable. Would be even nicer if it turned out to be the same kind of spring-loaded thing as those on the 7D2 and the 5D4 (and I’m slightly disappointed that the 90D didn’t get one, but I digress…)

Upvote 0
I guess they wanted to add an AF-ON button and there was real estate for a switch so they thought what the hell. Would be nice if it turned out to be programmable. Would be even nicer if it turned out to be the same kind of spring-loaded thing as those on the 7D2 and the 5D4 (and I’m slightly disappointed that the 90D didn’t get one, but I digress…)
I was just editing my post to say I thought it might enable BBF. That makes sense. Nice idea. Allows you to quickly shift to/from BBF with a switch. I wouldn't mind having that for hand off's to stangers and such. Assuming the middle button is an AF-ON swith which works when the switch is in the MF position of course. That may not be the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Nikon released what is arguably the best prosumer DSLR ever made and what has Canon's response been?

That is totally off topic in this thread (do people these days even understand what off topic means?! Canon-bashers certainly don’t seem to), but I believe Canon’s response has been roughly on the lines of ”Out market share has been growing in a shrinking market, how about yours?” or an equivalent phrase in Japanese.

Upvote 0
I hope it's th
What's the story on the prominently placed Manual Focus switch? Is MF something that M users are likely to use? Do M lenses even have mechanical focus? Seems like an odd chioce.
edit... I wonder if that's designed to allow BBF. There seem to be a button in the middle of the switch.
I hope it's this. Would be a great improvement over the current BBF placement. I use MF everyone the camera is on a tripod. So the switch is also nicer than the existing button which gets pressed accidentally all the time.

Looks like my ergonomic issues have all been addressed in the new model (not that I'll upgrade at this point)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
This would be a perfect camera with the integrated side EVF.
Personally I think it looks great especially in the two-tone silver.

To anyone considering buying any of the Ef-m cameras my advice is go and try holding one - I think it will be a pleasant surprise. They are both smaller than you expect but also more comfortable than you expect and have a very high quality feel. Not an easy thing to pull off.

I think it's why Canon went with a separate mount for crop sensors. With mirrorless it allows them to really make things smaller over the RF mount. With SLRs it probably wouldn't have made sense to have two different mounts and also in the days before high density full frame sensors there really was a market for cameras like the 7D for birders. However increasingly those photographers will want full frame and crop as needed.

Going forward I think we'll see Ef-S disappear in the coming years and the main consumer cameras Canon offers be Ef-m. They are small, light, have some great lenses, work flawlessly with the Ef glass and have ever improving autofocus - all things that will appeal to the average user. They also have ergonomics that will appeal to consumers.

For me it's such a nice travel camera to have, the 22mm lens means I can take it out on evening meals, the 11-22 is a great lens and small and the 55-200 strikes a nice balance, going for a small aperture at the long end to keep it small. Unlike some other crop systems it works out to a kit a lot smaller than for example using the Sony A7 system and makes virtue of the crop sensor. My only complaint is some of the lenses being made in Taiwan though that's still vastly preferable for all sorts of quality and moral reasons than China. The M5 is made in Japan, I wonder if the M6 II will be.

I read some reviews and seen samples and i am disappointed of the image quality (and build) of the 55-200. Considering how good is the 55-250 STM, i expected at least as good. I would probably go for the 70-200 F4 IS

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
edit... I wonder if that's designed to allow BBF. There seem to be a button in the middle of the switch.

I mapped AF/MF to the record button on my M50, it's a great way to fine tune focus with 10x magnify and switch back to autofocus when the situation changes. For profile shots at f/1.4 I use MF and when my 3 year old turns her head towards me I switch back to eye-AF.
On my 7D I would have used BBF for situations like this, but the EF-M lenses don't have an MF switch, you have to set it via the menus or assign a button to it.

Upvote 0