Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I understand that, but there were clearly comments about soft focus, for example, and I don't see any reason why Canon would choose to include that human specific portrait feature on a macro lens of all things. Macro lenses are not at a loss for bokeh, the primary goal of most macro work is to get the most detail and depth of field out of a very shallow depth of field and often diffraction limited sharpness. No one is looking to smooth the skin of a fly.
Increasing spherical aberration would not be a soft focus effect, it would be control over bokeh rendering and focus falloff, which would be a unique and valuable tool. In the normal position, the lens would be closer to an APO design. Increasing SA would transform the lens into a completely different design more suited for artistic subject isolation.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Assuming the 'SA' slider adds valuable additional capability for macro photography, Cannon is really pushing the boundary for the RF mount, and we should rejoice.....except for the price, that is. And, it looks like a costly one. 'SA' could well stand for 'Sanity Adjustments', ie. how far above or below the expected price one actually pays, which means the negative markings are an optical illusion.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would love if the SA is as others have guessed is "Scale Adjustment" as I would love to see it be capable of going 2:1 macro like the laowa lenses, it would be a grand slam I'd assume if this is the case as the last time we saw a canon macro lens with the ability to go beyond 1:1 macro was a very long time ago. On that note I'd even more love to see something capable of going up to 5:1 macro like the Canon MP E Macro 65mm F2/.8

Upvote 0
Are you aware that to macro photographers the photo of a plant or insect is actually a portrait, just not a portrait of a person? Can’t believe I have to even say that, LOL.
I can't believe that anyone could misinterpret the meaning of “portrait” on a photography forum. Yes, to you (and to me) a bug pic is a ”portrait”, but please...we know what was meant by that- portraits of human beings, LOL.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can't believe that anyone could misinterpret the meaning of “portrait” on a photography forum. Yes, to you (and to me) a bug pic is a ”portrait”, but please...we know what was meant by that- portraits of human beings, LOL.

The EF version has been very popular for dual-use macro and (human) portraits. But whether we're talking about people, plants, insects, or objects, they all can benefit from having control over SA.

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
SA could be startpoint adjuster for macro stacking. You can adjust startpoint what is different where autofocus is locked.
Like when shooting fly face from front, autofocus always hits too back to shoulder hairs, eyes stay out of focus.
i been using manual override for this with RP but its darn tricky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Increasing spherical aberration would not be a soft focus effect, it would be control over bokeh rendering and focus falloff, which would be a unique and valuable tool. In the normal position, the lens would be closer to an APO design. Increasing SA would transform the lens into a completely different design more suited for artistic subject isolation.

I, too, like the slider idea, but, as you say, spherical aberration modification seems more likely. I read somewhere that Japanese macro photographers tend to favor a style of wide open shooting -- a narrow depth of field and an aesthetic management of bokeh. Given that predilection, it would make sense to seek to implement an enhanced capability in that direction. Keep the SA setting in the middle and use a rail for focus stacking, would be my guess. This new capability sounds rather intriguing, actually. Hypothetically.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if that's "SA" or "5A", and I'm thinking "5 axis"

EDIT: nvm. I didn't read the original post properly.
Maybe "stabilization assistance", who knows...
I recall the first photos of the front of the R5 and the font made it hard to determine if it saying "RS" instead

Upvote 0
Interesting... the lens looks fairly similar to the EF 100mm L IS f/2.8 macro (which I own).
Obviously the control ring at the front (a given) was going to be different / new.
The "SA Control" I am guessing is some ability to change the dynamics of spherical aberration perhaps?
If so, that's something new and quite interesting! I love my EF 100mm L IS macro... and had expected to use it with a RF-EF converter.
Though if there are certain benefits of the new RF 100mm f/2.8 lens, that may persuade me to buy it in time.... and use it instead!
I love my EF 100mm L IS f/2.8, too. It's also not that expensive so you can have the best of the best for your (macro) work - instead of buying budget lenses because you cannot afford some stupid expensive EF 600mm f/4L for birding.

Upvote 0
When the patent for the macro lense hit the internet, I remember that especially some germans websites said it would a 1:1,4 macro. CR and CN said it was 1,4:1 macro. Maybe both were correct and the ring is indeed a "scale adjustment" so you can go from 1:1,4 to 1,4:1 and have a 1:1 macro if you wish. To me, this would make a lot of sense, but so do some of the other suggestions here.

But I'm very excited to see some real innovation with the added bonus of keeping us guessing until the lense is officially introduced :) please more of that Canon!

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I’m hoping it’s for “Slider Adjustment” or “Slider Advance”. The major missing feature in macro work is the ability to focus stack using just the lens. When you’re shooting magnified subjects, you often need to rely on a focus rail to incrementally slide the lens in and out to capture the narrow range in focus to stack. Simply moving the internal components in and out would achieve this control without the need of a rail and tripod. What a revolutionary idea this would be for macro shooting!!

EDIT:
Having looked at the patent, I’m gonna guess it does move the entire internal assembly in and out. SA could also be “Scale Adjustment” where you could change the magnification from 1:1 to 1.4:1 etc.
For stacking you have to slide camera and lens, ie the distance of the sensor plane to the object. Moving only the lens or parts of it inevitably changes the frame. This is useless for stacking.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I almost guarantee you that the SA adjustment ring is related to a macro function. It would make absolutely no sense for Canon to add excess portrait-related features to a professional high-end 1:1 macro lens, I know people use this for portraits, but the point of a 1:1 macro is... macro. I'm more willing to believe that the SA is for focus bracketing, or possibly for higher than 1:1 macro. Possibly "Step Adjustment control?"

Sidenote: It happens a 25mm extension tube gives you 1.4X life size on a 100mm macro. If the patent says there's a 1.4X macro, I wouldnt be surprised if this pulls off some sort of internal extension tube for bonus macro lengths.
But what would be the reason for those + and - markings on the lens-barrel ?
Spherical Adjustment could make more sense...

Upvote 0