Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I believe that there are Canon patents for a macro lens with soft focus control. It's very difficult to know if this what this SA ring is for or if it is another unknown function. As others have pointed out, the 26cm range on the focus limiter indicates that this does focus closer than 1:1 as the minimum focus distance of a 100mm 1:1 macro lens is typically around 30cm. This would tally with the 1.4x rumours. The Laowa 100mm achieves 2x at 24.7cm.
Great lens by the way - manual focus (and minimal exif data), but now I'm used to it, I probably have no place for a Canon RF 100 at 3 times the price.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
For context, I use EF 100mm and EF 180mm macros on R5, primarily for insect photography. These live subjects are nervous and difficult to approach, or often can't be approached closely without casting a shadow on them. So high resolution is really useful. It enables you to shoot from further back, and then crop down - saving you the cost and weight of a longer focal length such as the EF 180mm macro.
You ask about IQ. The benefits/disadvantages of high MP remain the same for macro or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Dear MR canon ,could you make 200mm macro lense without useless portrait bokeh adjusts .
Add there focus stacking enabled and disabled lever. And another lever where is focus increment on other end and number of shots on another end.
When stacking is enabled RF adjust ring could be used to adjust number of shots or increment. When stacking disabled it would do ISO adjust.
And firmware so adjusting would be seen side of viewfinder.

Upvote 0
For context, I use EF 100mm and EF 180mm macros on R5, primarily for insect photography. These live subjects are nervous and difficult to approach, or often can't be approached closely without casting a shadow on them. So high resolution is really useful. It enables you to shoot from further back, and then crop down - saving you the cost and weight of a longer focal length such as the EF 180mm macro.

I'll second this. I have both the R5 and the R6 but the cropping possibility is leaps better with the R5's 45 MP.
Coming from a 5D IV i thought the R6 would be an upgrade, but well, after a week or so with the R6 I just felt it was somewhat limiting my workflow and I got the R5, and that one was the first camera since 5D II that had me going "Wow"
So selling my R6 or use it as a backup or something. Don't really know. BUT thats a story for another discussion.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
View attachment 196787

Anyone else notice these notches? I thought it was a glitch from the top angle, but there's another one on the lower left side of the lens. Is that some sort of tripod ring?
I think it's a lock or something similar to prevent the ring from moving accidentally.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
100% agree. Indeed I was reluctant to even get the Vello but it was a special offer price from B&H so I thought if it was garbage I could return it and it was cheap enough to give it a try anyway (it had excellent reviews too). I couldn't be more impressed with it, literally indistinguishable from a Canon one that cost 5 times as much but for the fact it has Vello written on it. Apparently they have now done two versions, the earlier one doesn't get as good ratings but the second one is, from my limited experience, perfect.
Non Canon collars: I fully agree they are often a great value.
Canon LP6 N batteries are a different topic: mine last a maximum 2,5 years... but never experienced off-brand ones.
Other OEM batteries I use, Olympus, Ricoh or Leica, up to 6-7 years !

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
When using a macro lens the amplification of the object (and focus) is very sensitive to the distance between object and lens. It appears possible that Canon might be using this by mechanizing a Slider Assembly to alter the amplification (almost like a zoom) without having to change the distance between object and lens. This might be what gets them to 1.4:1 in one direction and possibly 1:1.4 in the other.
By the way, I am using their RF 35mm macro which has a nifty feature which greatly simplifies manual focus. It consists of two arrows which point apart when the chosen point is out of focus while moving towards coinciding, overlapping and turning green, when in focus. This tells you both which way to move and when you are in focus. I hope that Canon plans to give us both Slider Assembly Control (micro zoom) and arrow focus in their new RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro 1.4:1.
The arrow focus you describe just sounds like Canon's manual focus guides, which should be available regardless of the lens, as long as the lens is detectable for the body. So that's pretty much a given.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Was that tongue in cheek? I cannot imagine you would actually expect members here to be checking in regularly akin to texting a spouse.
Some of us have very emotional affairs with each other. We even fight like married folks. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0