Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

You don't really need focus fine tuning with a RF lens, you can variable focus speed so that it can focus in very fine increments. Ideal for manual macro focusing.

from TDP

View attachment 196833
All RF lenses are focus by wire? Can anyone advise whether they are fiddly like the Sigma 70mm Art?

Upvote 0
It's not quite a ring, but a few solid stops. I can imagine if this is focus bracketing, every step is a defined amount different backwards or forward from the focused point. That would let you make your focus brackets in specific amounts, and if it's electronic, you could probably define how far of focus every step is.
Fiddling with a ring seems to be a way to maximize camera movement in a process that wants to avoid that. I use silent shutter and control my camera with CamRanger precisely so I don't have to touch my camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So far they are. The setting is in the body, not the lens.View attachment 196860
An interesting implementation. I'll have to rent this lens and a body at some point to see whether I like it, because focus by wire has consistently disappointed me thus far, and I almost always focus manually.

Thank you for the information!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
This didn’t age well
Chromatic aberration and spherical aberration are the same thing right?

I followed this up with the Nikon 105mm DC lens that has the same ability to adjust spherical aberration. It’s helpful in portraiture when you stop down because of the narrow range of DoF. I still can’t see the benefit in Macro shooting. To Canon’s credit, the EF 100mm macro likely sold more copies for portrait work than macro work with it’s cheap complaint being harsh bokeh stopped down. At least portrait shooters have an expensive tool to add to their bag.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0