www.canonrumors.com
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The only camera Canon released this year was the R3. No other mirrorless, DSLR, or even 1" compact camera.
The first year I remember with only a single new camera.
With the supply chain issues I am not surprised. I hope that 2022 sees more releases of cameras and lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only camera Canon released this year was the R3. No other mirrorless, DSLR, or even 1" compact camera.
The first year I remember with only a single new camera.
As I'm sure you've noticed, there's a pandemic that has affected economies and productivity. But that aside, your post is completely irrelevant to the thread.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thank you! Note that when I downloaded the manual from your site, the photos and diagrams were very pixelated. I downloaded directly from Canon and the photos and diagrams looked fine.
I should have posted a note that the viewer compresses the PDF for server purposes. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0
Canon's Compatible Accessories information says the USB Power Adapter PD-E1 "Can only be used to charge battery packs. Cannot power the camera." But I'm pretty sure Gordon Laing's initial review said he was able to do a 6 hour video using a MacBook Pro USB charger.

Also, the official list of compatible Flash Units is shorter than I expected.
Edit: But the R3 Manual itself does say EL/EX series Speedlites can be used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Why on the R3 is the buffer depth the same regardless if one writes to the SD Card or CF Express cards at 30 fps with the electronic shutter? For the R5 at 12 fps mechanical shutter there was a significant difference between the two.

The camera buffer is fixed and is separate from the storage medium being written. Its depth does not change but the ability to clear it does depending on how fast the offloading is to the storage medium. The buffer will fill up faster with slow storage medium (SD) and clear faster with faster storage medium (CFX), and thus will appear to have a bigger "depth" with fast storage mediums.

It's probably a typo.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
It appears that the R3 only supports V60 SD cards, but not V90, and doesn't allow movies with SD cards at the highest data rates. That needs to be fixed! The Canon C70 uses SD cards and supports V90.
Are you referring to the chart on page 1021? I don't think that is saying V90 cards aren't supported, rather it says for those 4K options you need AT LEAST V60.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The camera buffer is fixed and is separate from the storage medium being written. Its depth does not change but the ability to clear it does depending on how fast the offloading is to the storage medium. The buffer will fill up faster with slow storage medium (SD) and clear faster with faster storage medium (CFX), and thus will appear to have a bigger "depth" with fast storage mediums.

It's probably a typo.
Your reply was my understanding as well. I do hope that it is a typo. Will hopefully find out in a few more weeks.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
You
Are you referring to the chart on page 1021? I don't think that is saying V90 cards aren't supported, rather it says for those 4K options you need AT LEAST V60.
You're right but it also says that high data rate video cannot be used with SD cards. The C70 not only supports V90 cards, it requires them at high data rates. The R3 may support V90 cards but their speed advantage is apparently lost. That's what upsets me.

Upvote 0