Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

lustyd

EOS M6 Mark II
May 4, 2022
At one time, these were all called "crutches" by some people who learned without them and felt they were unnecessary if you knew what you were doing.
The differemce here is that there are other ways to build that digital crutch with less complexity and engineering. I don't think anyone is saying image sabilisation isn't great, but IBIS as a specific technology is unnecessary and complex, and like it or not adds cost. GoPro have neither lens nor sensor stabilisation and yet somehow don't suffer at all from movement in a tiny lightweight body. The main issue here is people with "decades of experience" not accepting change and insisting that they know best. With technology sometimes no experience at all is better.

Reactions: 1 user

Gino_FOTO

Right in the middle of exposure triangle.
Aug 19, 2018
RF-S version of a 22mm and 32mm would be nice, also definitive dot towards M system.

Reactions: 1 user

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
45mm has been "standard focal" length for a long time even since pre WW II.
Theoretical "normal" is around 43mm. My first 35mm camera was a Yashica rangefinder with a fixed 45mm lens. By using the same focal length all the time, my brain got used to that perspective, and I could previsualize compositions when I didn't even have the camera with me. Sometimes I would come back to the spot and take the picture. It affected how I saw things, appreciating beauty and order in ordinary scenes and things. I'm probably a better photographer today than if I had started off with the level of control I have now.

Reactions: 1 users

Random Orbits

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 14, 2012
Will Canon stick with the 1.6x crop factor? With a new RF mount, how likely will it choose a 1.5 crop factor like other manufacturers?

jordanisaak

I'm New Here
Jan 29, 2022
Will Canon stick with the 1.6x crop factor? With a new RF mount, how likely will it choose a 1.5 crop factor like other manufacturers?
That would probably make adapted EF-S lenses either vignette heavily or have bad corner quality. They would also have to develop new sensors from scratch instead of refining what they already have.

Seems unlikely.

Reactions: 2 users

sanj

EOS R5
Jan 22, 2012
All those auto everything cameras make me become a very sloppy photographer
Not me. I like all the help modern cameras provide. I lap them up. I could do without the added help under normal circumstances, but when the going gets tough, all the added help from the camera is appreciated: Good AF, Good Exposure, Stabilization, Flippy screen etc etc come in real handy.

Reactions: 9 users

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Part of the art and craft of photography is to decide what is important to control and what is just as well left to the hardware/software. As has been suggested, playing with dials and menus can be distracting, and sometimes unnecessarily so.

Reactions: 3 users

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
All those auto everything cameras make me become a very sloppy photographer

I don't agree. It's much better to focus on composition, the subject and the story in the image and video than worrying about AF, focus point position, exposure, etc, etc

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
I don't agree. It's much better to focus on composition, the subject and the story in the image and video than worrying about AF, focus point position, exposure, etc, etc
Oh, come off it. Real image-makers don't use all those fancy, new-fangled gadgetry tools. They create images the old fashioned, tried-and-true way.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 4.47.45 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Hard times for the "M is not dead" fraction!
Yeah, we have heard that for nearly a decade now. High doubt that Canons newest offerings will weigh in and be as small as the M6 mk 2 (34mp). Would def have to come minus an EVF to even replace the M6 on same gimbal.

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
In as much as Sony sells it's aps-c ZV-E10 for vloggers right along with its other different aps-c mount cameras, Canon has continued to do the same with its M50 and M6 with much success. Despite the traditionalist photographers that have yet to grasp any other form of content creation other than theirs.

Reactions: 2 users

rawshooter

I'm New Here
Dec 19, 2014
Same here I'd take a R10 pocket cam as addition to my Canon gear. If it does Canons autoISO with settable lower shutter limit. Finally getting rid of the outdated Nikon J5.

Blue Zurich

The artist formerly known as slclick
Jan 22, 2022
Are we heading into Modality of Mind and Fodor & Chomsky territory? It might be better than these crop circles posts, lol.