How do you pay for your lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
darklord said:
I sold my unimportant organs to pay for my L lenses.

+1 - everybody else is being boring!

Here are some other answers I would like to see:
I am a government official, and every time I receive a bribe of over $10 000, I treat myself to a new L series lens

or

As a bank robber, I have a high risk profession, so in order to celebrate a successful job, I buy myself a new piece of glass with a red ring around the end. The 100mm macro has proved to be an awesome tool for documenting the items I liberate from bank vaults.

Upvote 0

jasonsim

Hobbyist
Dec 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I pay everything I can with my Amazon points credit card, take new CC offers that give my $300 credits on first use, take loans against my 401K, refinance the house at historically low interest rates, sell everything that is not nailed down including my son's star wars toys that he no longer plays with. Gotta get creative... The addiction to L glass is pretty bad!

Oh and don't tell the wife about that big bonus this year.

Upvote 0
D

docfrance

My ability to convince my wife that my lens purchases were vital took a huge positive step when my son and daughter-in-law got married (I was #2 photographer for the event) and then ESPECIALLY when they announced a year later that they were expecting grandkid #1. Grandchildren are perhaps the greatest excuse to invest in good lens or upgrade what you've got. I highly recommend them. Since the happy arrival, I've jumped from the 70-200mm F4L IS to the F2.8L IS Mk II and added the 100mm F2.8 IS. The wife (and family) see the photos and then they ask me what I need for my birthday. I LOVE my grandson!
423717_2394344151817_1647342086_1693607_1664284149_n.jpg

Upvote 0
docfrance said:
My ability to convince my wife that my lens purchases were vital took a huge positive step when my son and daughter-in-law got married (I was #2 photographer for the event) and then ESPECIALLY when they announced a year later that they were expecting grandkid #1. Grandchildren are perhaps the greatest excuse to invest in good lens or upgrade what you've got. I highly recommend them.

I second this. And even though i'm too young to even have children yet, I tell my wife that I need to buy new lens well in advance of any children to practice and get my skill level up so that i can take those shots when she's pregnant. Also taking lots of photos of the new nephew in law and any family event helps a bunch too.

On the money side, I put away $100 bucks for "big ticket items" every month and that plus any extra money from my budget i use to buy a lens. Though after buying 4 new lens (1 being an L) in the last 3 months , going forward I'm going to try to limit myself to only 1 a year.

Just make sure you take lots of pictures of the significant other and make sure they are good helps a long way.

Upvote 0
D

docfrance

scrappydog said:
docfrance said:
Grandchildren are perhaps the greatest excuse to invest in good lens or upgrade what you've got. I highly recommend them.
Great shot. I love the quote! I will look into these grandsons, as they sound pretty cool. ;)
They're great! Unlike your own kids (highly over-rated, trust me), you get to return them when they're dirty and loud. Our model sleeps well, eats everything we give him, and knows when Pop-Pop has the camera ready. When he learns to speak, if he calls me "7D" I won't be surprised.

Upvote 0
D

docfrance

squarebox said:
I second this. And even though i'm too young to even have children yet, I tell my wife that I need to buy new lens well in advance of any children to practice and get my skill level up so that i can take those shots when she's pregnant. Also taking lots of photos of the new nephew in law and any family event helps a bunch too.

Just make sure you take lots of pictures of the significant other and make sure they are good helps a long way.
All excellent ploys. One great picture of grandma&grandson is easily worth an L lens. I just can't wait for him to start playing sports so I can jump to some outrageous super-telephoto.

Another advantage is that MANY family members, including maternal grandma live in different time-zones, so they love the shots, the secure website for sharing, etc.

Upvote 0
I bought a 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and numerous other accesories in a splurge literally using loose change a few years back. Total amount was close to $7K in coins and while I didn't have a way to measure the weight accurately put the last few boxes on a scale before taking them to the bank and estimate in total it must have been close to 100Kg of coins.

Considering the local bank is almost impossible to park right outside it was quite a bit of effort I spread over a week or so, especially when after the first batch I found they charge a fee (2% from memory) if you cash over $1000 at a time. Anyway for anyone that complains about the weight of a 70-200 f/2.8 I can tell you it's a lot less than the weight of coins you need to buy one ;D.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.