How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

• Total voters
Mar 25, 2011
I just received mine last week, so far, it hasn't ever locked up. Sometimes bad memory cards can lock a camera up. CF Express type B cards are relatively new and some brands have caused strange responses in the R5. I am hoping that there are some deals this week as Amazon Prime Day approaches. I like Delkin cards but a Prograde Cobalt would be fine. I already have a Prograde reader.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Mine locked up when it overheated. (I deliberately shot 8K video of Old Faithful, and she nearly ran out the clock. Of course now my old faithful video is unwatchable by anything I own).

In order to switch modes back to something else I had to pull and re-insert the battery, at which point, of course the camera worked fine since it will work forever doing stills and 1080p.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Mine locked up when it overheated. (I deliberately shot 8K video of Old Faithful, and she nearly ran out the clock. Of course now my old faithful video is unwatchable by anything I own).

In order to switch modes back to something else I had to pull and re-insert the battery, at which point, of course the camera worked fine since it will work forever doing stills and 1080p.
You didn't vote?

Upvote 0
Mine locked up once - just after I turned the camera off, added a 2xTC (to a 600mm F/4 II), then started shooting a burst at high burst rate. Battery out then in fixed the problem. I've never recorded any video or received any overheating warnings.

In all fairness, I've seen similar and very rare lockups in serveral Canon bodies back to the 7D.

...Jerry

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
In one year of use, the R has locked up on me three or four times. Turning off and on fixed except once, then I had to take out battery and put it back in.

Occasionally, for what its worth, I have to reboot a laptop or a tower or a tablet.

Thinking back, I don't remember having any trouble with the 5DIV or the 80D, but my 5DIII, and before that 60D, would occasionally lock up.

My SiriusXM radio locks up every few months. Once or twice would only reboot properly when I turned ignition off and back on.

Sometimes for no apparent reason my icemaker in my LG fridge just decides to take a day or two off.

Electronics. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

An occasional reboot is better, imo, than a broken or jammed roll of film. But if it happened, say, several times a week with the R5 during the 30 day return period, I'd probably try another one! (I'm still waiting for the R5.)

Upvote 0
I don't have R5/R6 but with R, since 2018, I did not experience any lock/freeze so far.
In general, modern cameras are more prone to freezing because the firmware uses multi-threading for faster processing. I think Canon is using it since Digic 8. So what happens is that the threads may compete for resources (memory and card read/write, etc.). Any of the followings can possibly and randomly happen: a process holding one resource and waiting for another one; or a process is held in a non-sharable mode, etc.
These can happen depending on the speed of the cards, number of shots in a burst, need for continuous AF, duration of usage and heat, etc.
A general precaution is knowing camera's limits, using newer and faster cards, reduce the number of burst shots if possible, avoid in-camera processing, avoid overheat because camera goes to less efficiency mode, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I just received mine last week, so far, it hasn't ever locked up. Sometimes bad memory cards can lock a camera up. CF Express type B cards are relatively new and some brands have caused strange responses in the R5. I am hoping that there are some deals this week as Amazon Prime Day approaches. I like Delkin cards but a Prograde Cobalt would be fine. I already have a Prograde reader.
I have still had an occasional lock up after I thought I had solved it all. I'm now using the Silver (regular) ProGrade CF Express card which I was told was fine because I never shoot video (except by accident). The times it occurred was not when the battery was low or when I was using an old battery. Don't know what else to say. Seems unpredictable. Doesn't even correlate with when I'm shooting at a high rate. It's not related to temperature extremes--been shooting in fairly moderate temps when it's occurred. I've almost run out of things to look for.
Catherine

• Sad
Upvote 0
I've yet to experience a lockup or freeze with my first batch R5 with the new firmware. I'm using the Sony CFx Tough card 128gb (for RAWs) and a Sony SF-G64/T1 High-Performance 64GB SDXC UHS-II Class 10 U3 card for JPGs. I'm set to record a RAW and Large JPG for every shot with RAW on CFx and JPG on SD. Both of these cards have some of the fastest write speeds you can get. I don't use bigger cards as 128gb gives me about 2,800 RAW images and lord knows how many JPGs the SD card will hold.

BTW: I don't think you should consider an overheat lockup as a freeze as that's not a freeze but the camera stopping because of hitting the heat limit setting.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have still had an occasional lock up after I thought I had solved it all. I'm now using the Silver (regular) ProGrade CF Express card which I was told was fine because I never shoot video (except by accident). The times it occurred was not when the battery was low or when I was using an old battery. Don't know what else to say. Seems unpredictable. Doesn't even correlate with when I'm shooting at a high rate. It's not related to temperature extremes--been shooting in fairly moderate temps when it's occurred. I've almost run out of things to look for.
Catherine
I'd definitely be contacting Canon about a repair or returning the camera for a replacement. A repair might be faster, they will likely replace the main board which is a quick and easy job. A return for replacement would probably let you do another return if you get another lemon.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I'd definitely be contacting Canon about a repair or returning the camera for a replacement. A repair might be faster, they will likely replace the main board which is a quick and easy job. A return for replacement would probably let you do another return if you get another lemon.
But this might be entirely a software based issue and quite a random event driven one at that, those can be buggers to find and resolve no amount of hardware swaps would fix.

Upvote 0