How long is Canon going to support your camera?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the concerns people have when purchasing used cameras is how long will Canon support the product with repairs? This is a very valid concern and Canon has updated their list of cameras and how long they will officially support them. If you’re looking for a great deal on the Canon EOS R for

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If Canon supports all cameras for a minimum of 10 years, that's fine by me. Cameras improve all the time, so I'm unlikely to hold onto an older model for long. It's much more important to me that Canon supports lenses for a long period, as I kept several of my DSLR lenses for 15-20 years (or bought older EF lenses secondhand) before finally upgrading to RF versions.

Of course, others may feel differently and may want cameras to be supported for 20 years or whatever, which is fine by me too, if Canon are willing to do it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
If Canon supports all cameras for a minimum of 10 years, that's fine by me. Cameras improve all the time, so I'm unlikely to hold onto an older model for long. It's much more important to me that Canon supports lenses for a long period, as I kept several of my DSLR lenses for 15-20 years (or bought older EF lenses secondhand) before finally upgrading to RF versions.

Of course, others may feel differently and may want cameras to be supported for 20 years or whatever, which is fine by me too, if Canon are willing to do it.
My 5D-2 is in active use. Looks like it is no longer serviced by Canon (followed shortly by 5D-3). I have always been happy with it. Sure am glad it hasn't broken.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Interesting to note that the 5DMkiii is only supported until March 2024 - there seem to be still a hell of a lot of them in regular use, and they're still being used by pros and competition winners.
What exactdoes 'supported' mean though? When support finishes does that mean they will no longer even be serviced? Or just that no new parts will be made? I could imagine that shutter mechanisms will be reaching end of life on the 5d3 but also understand that Canon cannot continue to produce them indefinitely while also continuing to develop and produce new gear

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What exactly does 'supported' mean though? When support finishes does that mean they will no longer even be serviced? Or just that no new parts will be made? I could imagine that shutter mechanisms will be reaching end of life on the 5d3 but also understand that Canon cannot continue to produce them indefinitely while also continuing to develop and produce new gear
This is just speculation, but I'm pretty sure that it means that Canon will no longer accept those products for servicing or repair.

I'd assume that Canon sell off any remaining stocks of spares to independent repairers. It's likely that the independents still have sufficient supplies of major parts such as shutters, mirror assemblies, lens mounts etc, and that if any particular company lacks the required parts, that almost anything could be easily located - e.g. there are hordes of used 5DMkiii bodies available secondhand, and plenty of people dismantling them and selling the parts for more money than the intact camera would have fetched.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Was there any need for the 135TS?
It's strange that because they don't have a personal need for a product, that some folk question other people's needs. When Canon or other companies make a product, you can be pretty sure that they've researched the potential market extremely well before even designing the product, let alone manufacturing it.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Very interesting info; I can see that my only "liability" in the coming future is the EF70-200 2.8L USM: 2026 which isn't that bad, considering that it was released in 1995, so it was supported for 31 years, I would say a satisfying service!

The 24-70 2.8 II and the EF-S 24 STM are still TBD, so nothing to worry about for now; but in 3 years I'll start thinking about getting rid of the 70-200, just for safety. And, if in three years Canon would find an agreement with Tamron, and we'll have the 35-150 f2-2.8 available, I would gladly get rid of both 24-70 and 70-200 at the same time, so my DSLR lens line-up will start to slowly migrate towards native RF.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...I do occasionally think about the CMOS batteries inside most of our electronics these days, including Canon bodies:

(A bit of water damage in the body pictures in the link above?)

=====

Sadly, the M6MkII\'s \'internal\' battery is apparently not easy to get to...

Hello Canon.

...and hello dpreview?!

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I hate the fact that Canon sometimes uses inferior parts that break easily, but then it profits from expensive repairs. My camera needed a replacement of its main board, although I treated it very well over the years. The repair was over €600. Of course that can happen, but then I learned that it is a known problem with that model. One photographer even said that he already had the same problem twice. So it seems a faulty main board and not the fault of the customer, if it breaks. Yet Canon has a monopoly on repairs and they are quite expensive. Of course they "support" cameras for many years, if they can earn so much money with repairs. It very much reminds me of Apple. Apple is much worse though. They charge ridiculous amounts of money for repairs.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hate the fact that Canon sometimes uses inferior parts that break easily, but then it profits from expensive repairs. My camera needed a replacement of its main board, although I treated it very well over the years. The repair was over €600. Of course that can happen, but then I learned that it is a known problem with that model. One photographer even said that he already had the same problem twice. So it seems a faulty main board and not the fault of the customer, if it breaks. Yet Canon has a monopoly on repairs and they are quite expensive. Of course they "support" cameras for many years, if they can earn so much money with repairs. It very much reminds me of Apple. Apple is much worse though. They charge ridiculous amounts of money for repairs.
Keep in mind that changing the mainboard is the easiest way to fix non-mechanical issues. We do the same at my workplace, although we don’t directly charge for repairs or parts.
That makes it hard to gauge if something was actually wrong with the mainboard, as in bad parts, bad design, manufacturing defects or a software bug that the tech can’t fix.

Having said that, using micro-hdmi is a bad decision when it comes to robustness and to make it worse, it’s on the mainboard, not on an easily serviceable daughterboard. So it’s not just a matter of inferior parts, bad design is also a big factor.

Upvote 0
Interesting to note that the 5DMkiii is only supported until March 2024 - there seem to be still a hell of a lot of them in regular use, and they're still being used by pros and competition winners.
IIRC it was release in 2012? So a dozen years of support is good.

5Ds R was released in 2015 and scheduled to end 2027... another body that will be supported for a dozen years.

A dozen years of guaranteed parts availability is pretty good. If the bodies are that durable whatever parts on hand can last 3-5 more years?

Nearly 2 decades of parts and service is pretty good.

At 2 decades old... wouldnt you want to buy a RF body?

Upvote 0