How would you photograph this near dark event?

Following that, here's some "creative" (/potentially purpose-defeating) options that come to mind ;)

- Switch to Monochrome and shoot some jpegs whilst smashing that High ISO with Shapness boosted and High ISO NR turned off (generally blurs stuff to help with splotchy colour noise, so off you'll get gainer, sharper images in B/W!) - straight out ofcam product for sh*tty paying gig: BAM! though they might not want BW... But I use the EOS M and 22/2 like this all the time for social occasions and people really get off over the quality, "DoF" and alls :)

- Shoot video so you can play with focus and see what of your 24-30 fps at 1080 linrs of resolution are way more usable than your 12-50mp of unfocussed tripe ;)

- Small/low power flash and still fairly high ISO etc.. Maybe off cam with one of those cheap, springy hotshoe cables offa' ebay!

- Rip out those pesky filters from inside your camera, get yourself a big torch and IR filters/gels for it or for flashes and shoot in thr dark... With AAAAAALL the light :D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Mt Spokane Photography said:
CanonFanBoy said:
UV or black light? There's a huge difference. I feel sorry for the eyes of the actors or anyone close if UV.
https://www.ehs.washington.edu/rsononion/uvlight.shtm

Black light is UV. It has a limited range of frequencies that fall in the UV category.

A black light, also referred to as a UV-A light, Wood's light, or simply ultraviolet light, is a lamp that emits long wave (UV-A) ultraviolet light and not much visible light.[1][2][3][4] The lamp has a violet filter material, either on the bulb or in a separate glass filter in the lamp housing, which blocks most visible light and allows through UV,[3] so the lamp has a dim violet glow when operating.[5][6] Black light bulbs which have this filter have a lighting industry designation that includes the letters "BLB".[3][5]

A second type of bulb, which is also called a black light, produces ultraviolet but does not have the filter material, so it produces more visible light and has a blue color when operating.[3][4][5] These are made for use in "bug zapper" insect traps and are identified by the industry designation "BL".[5][6]

Black light sources may be specially designed fluorescent lamps, mercury vapor lamps, light-emitting diodes, lasers, or incandescent lamps.[5][6] In medicine, forensics, and some other scientific fields, such a light source is referred to as a Wood's lamp (named after Robert Williams Wood).

Although many other types of lamp emit ultraviolet light with visible light, black lights are essential when UV-A light without visible light is needed, particularly in observing fluorescence,[4][5] the colored glow that many substances emit when exposed to UV. Black lights are employed for decorative and artistic lighting effects, diagnostic and therapeutic uses in medicine,[3] the detection of substances tagged with fluorescent dyes, rock-hunting, the detection of counterfeit money, the curing of plastic resins, and attracting insects.[4] Strong sources of long-wave ultraviolet light are used in tanning beds.[4] Although the low power UV-A emitted by black lights is not a hazard to skin or eyes and can be viewed without protection, powerful ultraviolet sources present dangers and require personal protective equipment such as goggles and gloves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

Thanks! I've used and serviced very powerful UV lighting in an industrial setting for years, especially in food manufacturing and printed circuit board manufacturing. Never realized that a "black light" was UV-A. However, I have never heard them referred to in the common nomenclature as UV lights, only as "black lights" (because of the filter, I guess).

Upvote 0