I need an new xl backpack

Hi Guys!
I´ve started looking for an new xl sized backpack.
My equipment for wildlife: 600mm L II, 100-400 L, 2 bodies, two smaller lenses, an flash and an extender to carry. And some food. Oh, yes and an tripod
My long time used Tamrac expedition 9 has been "retired" by my dog. :rolleyes:
Looking in the web, it brought me to Loewpro 650 pro trekker. This bulky backpack looks quite stable, but is heavy too.
Do you recommend another model for carrying heavy equipment with you?
f-stop seems to sell interesting models, but I do not know how robust they are.

Thank you a lot
Daniela

Last edited:
I have a pro-runner 450. It is considerably lighter than the pro-tracker 450 or the 600.

Depending on what you have for lenses, you can get two bodies in there, but it really depends on your individual kit.View attachment 183881
That's a nice bag but it certainly won't fit a 600 II L in there.

My advice is to pick up a 2nd hand Gura Gear back pack. They are still the best large lens back pack available.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I bought a used LowePro SuperTrekker a while back. Holds my 800 F5.6, 300 F2.8, 100-400, 24-70, 16-35 both camera bodies, 100 Macro and has room to spare. There are two side pouches for more lenses and a thermos flask of tea + an add on daypack for munchies and waterproofs + plenty of options to carry a tripod or two - 3? That should cover you! However do not fall over - you will never get up!
Realistically, more sensibly loaded, it is a VERY comfortable pack and with loads up to about 50/55 lbs, has loads of attachment points, the most comfortable harness system I have yet found. Now they are no longer made they are cheap too!

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The Mindshift/Think Tank First Light 40L is what I use (500 f/4) and seems to get a lot of press:

Upvote 0
The Mindshift/Think Tank First Light 40L is what I use (500 f/4) and seems to get a lot of press:
I use the 40L whenever I'm using my 600F4 and I've found it to be very comfortable once correctly adjusted, and more than enough space for a couple of bodies + 600F4 +100-400, and a couple of free slots for 20-70F4 or filters etc. One slight warning, I measured it as being right on the limit in height for some aircraft carry-on, so you may want to check.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I use the 40L whenever I'm using my 600F4 and I've found it to be very comfortable once correctly adjusted, and more than enough space for a couple of bodies + 600F4 +100-400, and a couple of free slots for 20-70F4 or filters etc. One slight warning, I measured it as being right on the limit in height for some aircraft carry-on, so you may want to check.
This is very true. Be careful not to overstuff and check your airlines size limitations. But I have flown with my 500 f/4 II in the 40L without issue. The other option that I've heard but have not yet tried is something like the Pelican luggage carry on. The 600 f/4 II should very snuggley fit in there, then, if it gets checked, it is at least in a hard case.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys!
I tried a lot of backpacks and stayed with the Lowepro Trekker 650. I got one really cheap from an private seller who wrote an PM to me, for whom it was to heavy.

I´ve just one small problem with it:
On the front side, there is an compartment, where you can put the Laptop-sleeve inside. This is an very big compartment and is welcome for a lot of my things like colth eg.
But the problem is: The compartment can´t be closed. There is an belt on the top to secure, but when it ist closed, you can not open the lens-compartment. And if you unsecure the belt, the content of the big front-compartment falls out of it.
Has someone solved this issue?
Should I sew an button on the backpack, to keep the content insode the department? Or sew (more difficult) an velcro fastener inside the compartment?

Thanks for your thoughts....
Daniela

Upvote 0