IBIS coming to EOS M in 2020 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I recently reported that two EOS M cameras were scheduled to launch in 2020, one is a follow-up to the very popular EOS M50, the other is apparently going to be above the EOS M6 Mark II, but this source claims that it won’t be an EOS M5 Mark II.
The higher-end EOS M camera will reportedly come equipped with IBIS, something we’ll see first in the upcoming EOS R5 and EOS R6.
The EOS M50 Mark II will not have IBIS according to this source.
This is a [CR1] rumor, please treat it accordingly.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Very interesting piece of (CR1) news/ rumour....
I love my M5.. and would really love an IBIS in a Canon APS-C mirrorless... would really help with some of the lenses that I have (e.g. Canon 22mm f/2) and the Samyang 12mm f/2. In the future I may also buy the EF-M 32mm... so let's stay tuned. ;)

Each of my EF-M lenses (yes, even the 'lowly' 15-45mm STM, which cops some unfair flak at times) - is GREAT bang for buck / quality for size.
But especially so the primes! :) So IBIS would really be lovely... :love:

(... and yes, I'm hoping/planning to get the R5 ... too.... ) :cool:

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
While I like the M50 very much I had the chance to buy an EOS RP set wich wasn't that much more (body only) than the M50 and I have to say: The EOS RP is - ergonomically - much much better than the M50, because of one wheel (two wheels with RF 35) more and some additional buttons. Small AF point WITH Servo, rocks, audio levels in video rock.
So some M5 style body with IBIS might be an option if ... if R6 isn't much better in a similar price range and might lead to ONE mount system in my bag ... if I supply my EF lenses with three or four EF-RF adapters.
The M50 will then be welded to the 32mm - I think I will keep that camera and lens for decades because this is my snapshot set with high quality ambitions.
My 200D is now my youtube cam for schooling on a desk stand looking down to show my students during lockdown at least a little bit about geometry or physics.
Just forgotten to say: EOS M with IBIS is a great addition to the Canon lineup ...

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
When IBIS is useful especially for videographers and the M50 was more video oriented than the M5, why should the M50II not get IBIS then?
I tend to not believe this CR1 rated rumor.

Frank

Because the M50 is first of all a cheap camera, i got it almost two years ago for 500 euros

There isn't another camera as capable as the M50 at that price level

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Because the M50 is first of all a cheap camera, i got it almost two years ago for 500 euros

There isn't another camera as capable as the M50 at that price level

When it came out, it was the most advanced mirrorless camera Canon had to offer, so from that perspective it would make sense that it will have IBIS. But most of the M50 features were software and/or digic related, so pretty much 'free'. IBIS would cost real money to add, so if 'cheap' is the driving force, IBIS will likely be left out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0