Im looking into getting a new camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
T3i is good, check the Canon refurb website, they might have them a bit cheaper than new and still in good condition. If they have body only, you might save enough money to be able to put $300-400 into a lens of which there are a few decent ones. I used the original Sigma 17-70mm on my XSi and thought it was a pretty good lens. There's a newer version out which has Sigma's image stabilization (OS) tech. Apparently reviews are somewhat mixed, between OK and pretty decent. Even if you don't get that, if you can afford to get something other than the kit lens.

Upvote 0
I'd get a T2i refurbished from the Canon store ($480) plus the EF-S 15-85mm lens ($640). It only goes just a little above your stated budget. There's no need to spend extra money on the T3i or the kit lens.

Edit: order Saturday, July 28 through Monday, July 30 and use promo code EOS712 to save 15% off the price of the camera and get free shipping. Total price: $1047.98 shipped (by my calculation).

Edit 2: sorry, the above promo code doesn't give free shipping. This one does: SHIP712. You can add both promo codes to your order at the same time. Also, you may have to pay sales tax on your order.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
Put most your money into a lens. they are coming out with a new camera every month now it seems, but lenses stay in the marketplace a lot longer and hold value better. I would go with the t2i. the t3i does offer wireless flash support. Refurbished is not a bad thing at all. refurbed products are meticulously inspected before they leave the company. I own a sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 lens and it is a million times better than the kit 18-55. and quite a bit faster(bigger aperature). the canon 15-85 is an amazing lens if you can afford. the sigma is only about 425 USD. a new sigma also has a 3 year warranty in the US. the canon 50mm 1.8 is also a blast to play with for a first fast lens.

Upvote 0
Alternate suggestion: a used 5D from KEH can be had for $750-ish right now. This includes a 6 month warranty through KEH. Pair with a 50/1.8 ($100) or 40/2.8 ($200) if you like primes, or a used 28-135 ($200-ish) if you like zooms. Not nearly as modern in features as the Rebels discussed above, but if you are looking for the best IQ you can get in your budget, I believe the full frame 5D is the answer.

Upvote 0
here is the following choices:

1. as if you just start to learn about photography, buy all of the following:
a. used 30d with excellent condition ($250), and
b. used 50mm f/1.4 ($280), and
c. used 580EX II ($330)

2. as if you already know about dslr, sit back, relax and
a. wait for 60d combo on sale. this was previously sold with 18-135mm for $900
b. buy a used flash 420EX ($70)

3. as if you would buy everything brand new
a. buy t2i (not much different from t3i, but save more than $100 bucks.), or
b. buy t3i (~ $600), and
c. a 430EX II

now, you might have some amount left, put it back in your pocket :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
A lens better than the kit lens is your best bang for the buck. I'd get the T3i/600D with 18-55mm to start, and save another bit for the EF-S 15-85mm lens.

I'd go the same. T3i gives you all you need now for the price. And that includes the priceless wireless flash control (sooner or later, you will greatly appreciate, I guarantee) and flip screen. This kit lens, though pretty flimsy, gives you the best bang for the buck, sharpness and all. The time when you are going to splurge loads of money into gear will come soon enough !

Upvote 0
A great "Jack of all trades master of none" lens to go with your body is the Sigma 18-200mm.

It will allow you a wide range of zoom and great images. It's not as sharp as an L... but you are not on a "L" budget.

I bought one with my first Rebel and used it for a couple of years. It's a great lens and very versatile.

It's only $450 new and you can find it used for a hundred dollars less....

Upvote 0
dan4877 said:
My budget is about 1000 which I know isn't much but I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

It depends on what you're shooting (what are you shooting?) but my boilerplate advice to those on this kind of budget is to spend very little on the body and put it into glass and/or a flash. Bodies depreciate very quickly, especially in this price range, so you will always pay a steep premium for the latest. To put this into perspective, Canon still sell lenses that are around 20 years old as "current" models.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, the 30D is about $250. Good candidates for lenses are the Tamron 17-50 non VC for a zoom, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or a cheaper 50mm f/1.8 for a portrait lens. I would generally recommend against variable aperture zooms (which includes the kit lens). The 15-85mm is pretty decent but it may be a bit of a stretch on your budget.

If you want video you will need a newer model, at that point you need to go with one of the Rebel series (the first of the higher XXD series that supports video is the 60D which will blow your budget). Video on DSLR is essentially manual focus only (the autofocus is so poor that you can only really use it to prefocus at the start of a movie)

Regarding refurbished gear -- if you buy it from Canon's online store, it's as good as new.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dan4877 said:
Thanks for the help! Think going with the t3i. I found a scratch protector for it too. Same place I got one for my phone, www.xoskins.com... I'd recommend them for anyone. :)
Canon DSLR's have a replacable protective cover over the LCD. If it gets scratched, you can order a replacement from Canon. It is held in place with a die-cut piece of double back tape.

Upvote 0
elflord said:
dan4877 said:
My budget is about 1000 which I know isn't much but I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

It depends on what you're shooting (what are you shooting?) but my boilerplate advice to those on this kind of budget is to spend very little on the body and put it into glass and/or a flash. Bodies depreciate very quickly, especially in this price range, so you will always pay a steep premium for the latest. To put this into perspective, Canon still sell lenses that are around 20 years old as "current" models.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, the 30D is about $250. Good candidates for lenses are the Tamron 17-50 non VC for a zoom, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 or a cheaper 50mm f/1.8 for a portrait lens. I would generally recommend against variable aperture zooms (which includes the kit lens). The 15-85mm is pretty decent but it may be a bit of a stretch on your budget.

If you want video you will need a newer model, at that point you need to go with one of the Rebel series (the first of the higher XXD series that supports video is the 60D which will blow your budget). Video on DSLR is essentially manual focus only (the autofocus is so poor that you can only really use it to prefocus at the start of a movie)

Regarding refurbished gear -- if you buy it from Canon's online store, it's as good as new.

My advice is for you to get a 50D. It's cheaper, faster and has AFMA. Its IQ isn't much different to 60D. Get a Tamron 17-50, non-VC and a Yongnuo flash and you're ready to go. Later on, you can add the cheap 55-250 IS to your lens arsenal.

However, for a little bit more than $1K, you can also get a refurbished Canon 5D classic and a 50mm 1.8 II or 35mm F2.0. You can add a Yongnuo flash later if you want. That is if you don't need video. Well it depends on what you really want to do. If I'm going to start again, I'll take the 5D road map. It's the road less traveled but you will learn more by starting with a prime lens.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.