I'm not sure how I feel about this quiz... but its not positive.

May 31, 2011
https://app.e2ma.net/app2/survey/36399/213038842/594d480b5b/?v=a

This company is paying photogs $20 an hour and you might have to drive as far as 100 miles... But that's neither here nor there.

I read through the quiz... and I really want there to be write in answers.

For instance...

If you are photographing a person at 12 Noon in bright sunlight what would you do? *
Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops
Reduce the ISO on your camera

I'd go with... tell everyone to stare into sun... and I'd shoot from a high angle in time lapse... so you CAN SEE the exact moment when they all go blind.

You are photographing a 5 month old outdoors on the grass. Which would work best? *
Put the baby in a car seat
Put the baby on it's tummy
Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

5 months... my freaking 7 month can't sit up. I'd ask the mother if her body has snapped back yet and if she has thought of doing nudes... oh yeah. My concern is the grass... I think if you put a baby on the grass, it is going to poke them and they are going to freak the f out.

But hey... good for them... they are making fat cash off of people.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jdramirez said:
If you are photographing a person at 12 Noon in bright sunlight what would you do? *
Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

I'd go with... tell everyone to stare into sun... and I'd shoot from a high angle in time lapse... so you CAN SEE the exact moment when they all go blind.
My question is where am I at 12 noon.... am I down south with the sun directly overhead or am I in the high arctic with the sun just above the horizon....

And If I was somewhere with the sun directly overhead, I'd go for a coffee and wait for less harsh lighting.....

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Don Haines said:
jdramirez said:
Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

My question is where am I at 12 noon.... am I down south with the sun directly overhead or am I in the high arctic with the sun just above the horizon....

And If I was somewhere with the sun directly overhead, I'd go for a coffee and wait for less harsh lighting.....

I know. Can I get a Gazebo all up in the piece? I needs some shadows... double off camera satellite flash, and a bottle of scotch. STAT!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You are photographing a 5 month old outdoors on the grass. Which would work best?
Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

Use a fast shutter speed. 5 month old babies move very fast, almost like a hummingbird....

It is close to sundown and your camera shows a shutter speed of 1/15th of a second. What would you do? *
Change your lens
Stand very still
Increase your ISO
Decrease your ISO

Stand very still... you don't want to startle the baby from the previous question.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
jdramirez said:
A centennial has redeemed a groupon for a nude photo shoot. You have a 5dmkiii, a 24-70 f/2.8 mkii, and a jar of vaseline. Elaborate on your technique.

First, buy some gaff tape. Then arrive early, so that you are already in the room when your models arrive. Smear the vaseline in your eyepiece so that you can't see any details. Tape the camera to your head, and use the vaseline jar's cap as an eye patch to cover the other eye. Trust the autofocus, and thank whatever deity you worship that you're not using a 6D.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:

This company is paying photogs $20 an hour and you might have to drive as far as 100 miles... But that's neither here nor there.

For instance...

Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

You are photographing a 5 month old outdoors on the grass. Which would work best? *
Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

5 months... my freaking 7 month can't sit up. I'd ask the mother if her body has snapped back yet and if she has thought of doing nudes... oh yeah. My concern is the grass... I think if you put a baby on the grass, it is going to poke them and they are going to freak the f out.

lol..high angle time lapse ;D

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
jdramirez said:

At that rate, you'd have to be crazy to even consider it unless they pay travel on top of that cost. For a trip 100 miles each way, given the IRS estimate of travel costs, and assuming you're in the lowest 10% tax bracket, after taxes, social security, and medicare, you'd make a whopping $9.52 for an 8-hour shoot, or $1.19 per hour. You'd do better begging for money outside a 7–11.

In the 15% tax bracket, you make $1.52, or 19 cents per hour. You'd do better walking into random buildings and searching the couches for loose change.

If you're in the 25% tax bracket, you don't break even until you've worked more than 9 hours. Assuming the shoot is less than that, you'd do better staying at home and posting snarky comments about their quiz.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
ht
Northstar said:
jdramirez said:

For instance...

Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

lol..high angle time lapse ;D
dgatwood said:
jdramirez said:

At that rate, you'd have to be crazy to even consider it unless they pay travel on top of that cost. For a trip 100 miles each way, given the IRS estimate of travel costs, and assuming you're in the lowest 10% tax bracket, after taxes, social security, and medicare, you'd make a whopping $9.52 for an 8-hour shoot, or $1.19 per hour. You'd do better begging for money outside a 7–11.

In the 15% tax bracket, you make $1.52, or 19 cents per hour. You'd do better walking into random buildings and searching the couches for loose change.

If you're in the 25% tax bracket, you don't break even until you've worked more than 9 hours. Assuming the shoot is less than that, you'd do better staying at home and posting snarky comments about their quiz.
jdramirez said:

For instance...

Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

tps://app.e2ma.net/app2/survey/36399/213038842/594d480b5b/?v=a

For instance...

Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

These people haven't got a clue! I have been laughing til my sides split over some of the quotes!

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Don Haines said:
You are photographing a 5 month old outdoors on the grass. Which would work best?
Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

Use a fast shutter speed. 5 month old babies move very fast, almost like a hummingbird....

It is close to sundown and your camera shows a shutter speed of 1/15th of a second. What would you do? *
Change your lens
Stand very still
Increase your ISO
Decrease your ISO

Stand very still... you don't want to startle the baby from the previous question.

I take it you haven't had a 5 month old in quite sometime... they might roll slowly but humming bird like quick ;D

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

jdramirez said:

For instance...

Use your flash
Over expose 2 stops
Under expose 2 stops

Shoot from a high angle
Use a fast shutter speed

Where is shoot with a scrim option? ???

Upvote 0