Image quality of the Canon RF 24-105 mm F4-7.1 IS STM so good?

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
This is just for interest:
In the German magazine "Color Foto" the Canon RF 24-105 mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens is rated 102,5 Points.
(The Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM is rated 95 points, the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 L USM is 103 points and the Canon RF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM is 91 points).
So, you get an extraordinary lens for just 500€?
Can anyone confirm this high ratings?

Jan 27, 2020
This is far from an extraordinary lens. Are they factoring in price, weight, size in their ratings? Bryan Carnathan from The-Digital-Picture.com sums up the image quality portion of his review thus:

Overall, this lens produces decent image quality for its price point. Lenses providing better image quality are available, but size, weight, and cost penalties must be paid."

Anyone interested can go to his website where he has image quality test results and comparisons with other lenses. For those looking for a small, light, relatively inexpensive lens for the new R system, this may be a good choice. But it does not have "L" class image quality and I doubt many of the folks here would choose this lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This magazine (Color Foto) is far from being :
- reliable
- objective
- qualified
- neutral
- serious
I'd never rely on their opinion, same for the French Chasseur d' images, the German Foto Magazin.
Rather take a look at "The Digital Picture", "Lens Rentals", "Optical Limits" etc...
They don't depend on the advertiser's goodwill...
PS: Czardoom is right !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Considering you can buy this lens new from someone tossing it out of their R6 kit for $250, it's a steal. IQ from 35-105 at all distances is very sharp – at 24mm needs software correction and corner sharpening. Close-focus feature is pretty cool.

In point of fact someone just ordered the RP+this lens on another thread, and he proclaimed his intent to sell the lens.

(Click on the title inside that box and it will take you directly to the comment I was talking about.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0