Impact of using a clear filter on TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II?

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
In a few days I will receive the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens.
On all my other lenses I use B+W 007 clear XS-Pro filters. Because this is a Tilt/Shift lens, I wonder if it is wise to use a filter here as well. This concerns the B+W Digital MRC Nano XS-Pro 007M clear filter. Does the use of this clear filter have a negative effect on the quality of shifts/tilts and therefore also the quality of the photo?

Jul 21, 2010
In a few days I will receive the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens.
On all my other lenses I use B+W 007 clear XS-Pro filters. Because this is a Tilt/Shift lens, I wonder if it is wise to use a filter here as well. This concerns the B+W Digital MRC Nano XS-Pro 007M clear filter. Does the use of this clear filter have a negative effect on the quality of shifts/tilts and therefore also the quality of the photo?
I use one on mine (XS-Pro, I can't recall if it's clear or UV), with no ill effect on images. Obviously, I remove it if I'm putting on a CPL and/or ND.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I use one on mine (XS-Pro, I can't recall if it's clear or UV), with no ill effect on images. Obviously, I remove it if I'm putting on a CPL and/or ND.
Good to read about this practical experience. Thank you for the answer. Soon I will be able to try it myself. I look forward. By the way, I use CPL and ND filters with the LEE Foundation (100). I read somewhere that with the Tilt/shift lens you should limit the simultaneous use of filters to a maximum of 2. This is due to vignetting. I can test/try that too.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
2 filters will definitely have an impact on picture quality, even more if the lens is shifted to its maximum.
That's at least what I noticed, with 2 B&W XS-Pro filters. But if you use your TSE on an EOS R body, all you have to do is to use the R to EF filter adapter for filter 1, filter 2 can be mounted on the front thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
No obvious impact as far as I notice. I too of course would remove it if I was using a ND or circular polariser.
I'm generally on the fence about clear filters. If its a lens I will use in the rain I'd do add them.
If not I don't bother. I've had a few issues in the past with dented filters and they are a pain to remove. I'm not sure what protection they actually give.
(Weather sealing they do protect).

Upvote 0