Industry News: Major Sony photography announcement July 16, 2019 at 10AM ET

SUNDOG04

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 1, 2015
So many "Canon is Doomed" comments. Not sure what percentage is being serious and percentage is saying that to be sarcastic!

PGSanta

EOS 90D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
So many "Canon is Doomed" comments. Not sure what percentage is being serious and percentage is saying that to be sarcastic!
It's interesting that Sony is bringing this out now, when they don't really have to. I hope the rumors of a 70+ MP sensor from Canon are actually true, and Sony is trying to appear to keep out ahead.

Super interesting time in the market.

Reactions: Labdoc

MadisonMike

EOS M50
May 30, 2019
None, but it is a funny read.
Now back to the Sony, this is an impressive camera. It's not the sports orientated model, yet will do 10fps, 68 images at full 61MP, pretty awesome specs. That with the A9 tracking and focus this is really a beast. I wonder what they have waiting for the A9II?

AaronT

EOS RP
Jan 5, 2013
Not being a troll, just would like to see Canon come out with something to replace my 5DSR. A bit more MP's but specially more DR. Put these specs in a Canon body and I'm sold.

Reactions: xps and Labdoc

PGSanta

EOS 90D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hilarious that the company that is touting the first camera to use a special audio signal in a new shoe design can't get the audio for a simple presentation right. Haha.

edoorn

EOS RP
Apr 1, 2016
74% coverage? That sounds a bit meh. Otherwise, curious to see real world tests of that sensor. And a 5.76 million dot evf is very nice...

Oct 9, 2018
My brief summary:

$3500 USD in September 2019

Sony A7RIV
61MP (New, BSI, FF Sensor)
15 stop dr
10 FPS, AF-C and Continuous AF/AE Tracking
FF: 567 PDAF points, 74% coverage
Real-time Tracking AF (From A9)
Real-time Eye AF (From A9)
Real-time Eye AF For Animals (From A9)

APS-C Mode:
26MP
325 PDAF points covering entire frame

Video:
Full-width sensor
Oversampled 6K frames for 4k
Touch-tracking for video
Real-Time tracking AF for video
HLG S-Log3
Real-Time Eye AF in video

Audio:
Multi-interface Shoe
Digital Audio Interface from mic to camera
MIC has A/D converter

Other:
Dual UHS-II card slots
Improved Grip
5.7M dot OLED viewfinder
Improved Sealing/Dust/Moisture Resistance
Magnesium Alloy Chassis
2.4 and 5G Wireless
USB 3.2
VG-C4EM Grip $400 USD

OCM-B1M Sony Mic ($350 USD):
Boom style
8 capsules
8"
DSP
Cardiod pattern selection
Digital/Analog Switch

XLR-K3M XLR Mic Kit ($600 USD)

Last edited:
Reactions: MadisonMike

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I guess Canon R pro body will be similar. Sony is trying to get out before it to compete.
Get what out. the a7riii is already better for photos. They made new next gen sensors and plan on using them because people want the best images possible (especially for thousands of dollars) instead of making a million patents like Canon but to only cripple everything they make or used recycled sensors.

• Sad
Reactions: Randywayne and Rixy

privatebydesign

I don't preorder, I'm not a paid beta tester!
Jan 29, 2011
Is it the 16-bit sensor or still 14 bit? Likely 16-bit because of 15-stop DR. That sounds like something Canon won't beat any time soon.
I’ll bet Sony don’t either. I await independent and competent testing before believing a single word.

Reactions: Sharlin

PGSanta

EOS 90D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
3500... yes, much money, but fair for the specs
I meant to imply it's more than just fair... it's aggressive relative to what is currently out. It'd be competitive at $4k USD right now.

The timing, the pricing, it all seems like Canon is waiting in the wings with something big, and Sony is trying really hard to appear to stay ahead.

Or maybe Sony really just is that far ahead.

CMON CANON