Industry News: Nikon posts another Nikon Z 9 teaser video, showcasing its 8K capabilities

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon has posted the second of four teasers for the upcoming Nikon Z 9, their flagship mirrorless camera body. Some describe it as a D850 and D6 in one camera body with some added features.
The first teaser came out last week.

Nikon Z 9 Rumored Specifications from Nikon Rumors

8256 x 5504px resolution that confirms a 45MP stacked sensor (it is interesting to note that Canon decided to go with a 24MP sensor for their R3 camera).
The Z9 will be capable of up to 120 fps in a lower res file size (6Mb I think). Some reports even indicated 160 fps!
Built-in GPS – probably GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System).
The Z9 will use the same battery as D6. There will be also a new 18-type battery (EN-EL18x) that can be charged by the camera’s USB-C.
The sensor has a multi-leaf blade...

Continue reading...

I know Canon's party line is that the R3 was designed for a very specific audience that doesn't need/want more than 24MP but I can't help wondering if having half the resolution of Sony and Nikon isn't going to end up hurting sales among other users. Obviously, people already invested in RF glass are less likely to jump ship over this but anyone transitioning from an older DSLR mount who is planning to replace their lenses anyway may be.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I know Canon's party line is that the R3 was designed for a very specific audience that doesn't need/want more than 24MP but I can't help wondering if having half the resolution of Sony and Nikon isn't going to end up hurting sales among other users. Obviously, people already invested in RF glass are less likely to jump ship over this but anyone transitioning from an older DSLR mount who is planning to replace their lenses anyway may be.
For sure, there will be a small percentage who jump ship, but selling and replacing a complete system is a very expensive move.

And it’s not just about cost, many will also find it a daunting prospect to learn a new control system and overcome “muscle memory”. That probably applies particularly to pros, who can’t afford to miss vital shots during the adaptation period when switching brands.

Every new camera from Sony, Nikon and Canon will for a while offer something unique, or have some performance gain over the competition, but within a year or so that advantage is usually lost, as the various brands play catch up.

So I believe that most people will stay with their existing brand, and transition gradually from their DSLR glass to native mirrorless glass. In some cases Canon users probably retain their EF glass indefinitely - e.g. there’s little point in getting the RF 400mm F2.8L or the RF 600mm F4L if they already own the EF version, because the lenses are identical apart from the mount.

The extra resolution of the A1 and Z9 are certainly tempting, but I think Canon users who are spending that amount of money will just be patient and wait for the R1.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Nikon as sRAW and mRAW if you need smaller files out of it and crop mode. Now I would prefer if it was 24 MP, but I am not going to turn my nose up at the Z9 (nor R3 if the Z9 doesn't have good animal tracking) based on how many pixels it outputs. All the pictures on my wall as A2 or larder from 18-24 MP bodies and no one could tell you which came from a 5D Mark II vs the 1Dx or the Z6 (though I know the Z6 images right away as they seem more '3D').

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The extra resolution of the A1 and Z9 are certainly tempting, but I think Canon users who are spending that amount of money will just be patient and wait for the R1.

Hopefully in 3-4 years time we'll get back to picking camera's based on which lenses you own/want to own instead of on daft spec wars on bodies. I don't recall Canon 5d3/4 users having to jump to the Nikon D850 (arguably the best DSLR made) just because Nikon were a wee bit ahead. And I don't think Nikon shooters are jumping to Canon just because the R5 is spectacular... trading in lenses is expensive.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
For sure, there will be a small percentage who jump ship, but selling and replacing a complete system is a very expensive move.
R mount allows a transition to RF lenses over time which is a big benefit and why I migrated to R mount but I could have easily done the same to Sony using Metabones adapted EF lenses and then migrating to Sony lenses over time. Adapted EF lenses on R mount is seamless and better than the Sony option but ultimately still replacing a complete system over time. Complicating the migration for me was the cost of a new underwater housing which is another USD1700 so moving to Sony/Nikon was line ball for me cost-wise. My old 5Div housing is still unsold after a year on the market. Covid has definitely affected this.
Canon users would not have jumped to Sony for 5 years if not for Metabones/etc adapters allowing EF lens usage.

Every new camera from Sony, Nikon and Canon will for a while offer something unique, or have some performance gain over the competition, but within a year or so that advantage is usually lost, as the various brands play catch up.
True, but Canon was quite late to the mirrorless party as Sony's A7/A7R had a 5 year time advantage for users to switch. Even now, the RP/R bodies were and still are a hybrid DLSR/mirrorless offering by reusing 4-5 year old sensors. Although the RP/R were released 2-3 years old there are multiple replacement rumours and are clearly priced lower than respective 6Dii/5Div bodies even though they are arguably better in many aspects. The "year or so" advantage may be truer now but certainly wasn't for 5 years.

So I believe that most people will stay with their existing brand, and transition gradually from their DSLR glass to native mirrorless glass. In some cases Canon users probably retain their EF glass indefinitely -
I believe that there will be at least 10 years of RF and EF lenses used on R bodies. RF lenses are generally priced higher but have some unique advantages over their EF counterparts. I wouldn't replace my EF16-35mm/4 lens with the RF14-35mm/4 simply due to the increased cost.

e.g. there’s little point in getting the RF 400mm F2.8L or the RF 600mm F4L if they already own the EF version, because the lenses are identical apart from the mount.
Not quite identical. Yes, the welded adapter provides additional rigidity but there are other advantages:
- compatibility with RF 1.4/2x teleconverters
- increased CIPA image stabilisation
- R mount connectivity allowing faster AF by delivering more power to the AF motors
but I agree that optically there is no benefit to upgrade if you currently have the EF version

We are assuming that the R1 will be high res/8k. I think that it would be a mis-step for Canon not to have this resolution but traditionally the 1D series never had high res sensors.
Many current 1D users will jump to the R3 for its obvious benefits over the 1Dxiii but will they then buy the R1?
I'm surprised that the A1's price has not deterred popularity especially as the A9ii's price is so much cheaper if the target audience is only sports/photojournalists.
It isn't clear to me what the R1's market niche will be. It may be a R5 on steroids ie combining high res/sports AF/global shutter/16 bit monster that we can only drool over due to the high price :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
We are assuming that the R1 will be high res/8k. I think that it would be a mis-step for Canon not to have this resolution but traditionally the 1D series never had high res sensors.
Many current 1D users will jump to the R3 for its obvious benefits over the 1Dxiii but will they then buy the R1?
I'm surprised that the A1's price has not deterred popularity especially as the A9ii's price is so much cheaper if the target audience is only sports/photojournalists.
It isn't clear to me what the R1's market niche will be. It may be a R5 on steroids ie combining high res/sports AF/global shutter/16 bit monster that we can only drool over due to the high price :)
The 1DS series led the way in resolution for years.

Upvote 0
...I don't recall Canon 5d3/4 users having to jump to the Nikon D850 (arguably the best DSLR made) just because Nikon were a wee bit ahead. And I don't think Nikon shooters are jumping to Canon just because the R5 is spectacular... trading in lenses is expensive.
Then maybe you missed my thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/my-experience-from-canon-5d4-to-nikon-d850.37563/
You are correct about one thing: trading lenses (and bodies) is expensive. Ironically if I were to go mirrorless today I would probably go back to Canon because their R lens lineup is far better than Nikon's Z lens lineup. I find it interesting this second teaser promotes wildlife safaris when they don't have any telephoto lenses other than a 70-200.

Upvote 0
The 1DS series led the way in resolution for years.
You are right that the 1DS from 2002-2012 had the FF sensor and higher resolution. Interesting to see the mp evolution over the last decade...
1DX series replaced both 1D/1Ds in 2012 with ~20mp
M6 with 24mp from 2017
6Dii with 26mp from 2017
5Div with 30mp from 2016
M6ii with 32mp from 2019
R5 with 45mp from 2020
5DS/R with 50mp from 2015
R1 = ?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HJN

May 28, 2021
... Ironically if I were to go mirrorless today I would probably go back to Canon because their R lens lineup is far better than Nikon's Z lens lineup. I find it interesting this second teaser promotes wildlife safaris when they don't have any telephoto lenses other than a 70-200.

If you look closely, you might see the new 100-400mm hidden in plain sight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Then maybe you missed my thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/my-experience-from-canon-5d4-to-nikon-d850.37563/
You are correct about one thing: trading lenses (and bodies) is expensive. Ironically if I were to go mirrorless today I would probably go back to Canon because their R lens lineup is far better than Nikon's Z lens lineup. I find it interesting this second teaser promotes wildlife safaris when they don't have any telephoto lenses other than a 70-200.

I switched to Nikon because the R lineup was dreadful (R/RP). The Z9 looks like it is coming with the 100-400 and likely the 400 S as well. These are expected by the end of the financial year along with the 600 S. And you can adapt F super tele lenses... or even EF lenses.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As a long time Canon user, I have never used Nikon gear. Nevertheless, I have always admired their cameras, especially the D850 and its capabilities, not to mention Nikon's commitment to their user base. While the Mirrorless Z offerings have been a little slow out of the gate, they are improving with every new iteration and I wish Nikon every success with the Z9 and hope they hit it out of the park and make this body a dream come true for the Nikon community. The marketplace needs Nikon to keep things interesting and competitive, pushing all Mfgs to continue to innovate, not to mention satisfying Nikon's loyal user base. So, I hope they sell a ton of Z9s'. Go Nikon......

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...as the MP sells cameras and for me is an important thing.
Sony and Nikon have generally had higher MP cameras than Canon for quite some time, so since 'MP sells cameras' Sony and Nikon must sell more cameras than Canon. Except...they don't. Canon sells more cameras than Sony and Nikon combined. But if MP is what matters to you, then by all means, buy a Sony or a Nikon.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Hopefully in 3-4 years time we'll get back to picking camera's based on which lenses you own/want to own instead of on daft spec wars on bodies.....
I think most serous photographers already do - and have always done so. The main brands now have cameras that essentially do the same thing and have similar specs.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
You are right that the 1DS from 2002-2012 had the FF sensor and higher resolution. Interesting to see the mp evolution over the last decade...
1DX series replaced both 1D/1Ds in 2012 with ~20mp
M6 with 24mp from 2017
6Dii with 26mp from 2017
5Div with 30mp from 2016
M6ii with 32mp from 2019
R5 with 45mp from 2020
5DS/R with 50mp from 2015
R1 = ?
I don't know what it is, but I still miss my 5D IV sensor from time to time. Something about that sensor just produced such rich images, as well as RAW files that graded beautifully. Maybe that 30mp sweet spot, idk. I still think that is one of Canon's best.

Upvote 0