Industry News: Sony Alpha a7s III images leak ahead of tomorrow’s announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sony will be unveiling the long-awaited Alpha a7s III tomorrow. For now, it appears a lot of the specifications and now images have leaked ahead of tomorrow’s announcement.
Sony Alpha a7s III specifications: (Via SAR)

New 12MP sensor with fast readout and S-Cinetone color science
Records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI
Only up to 4k60 will be 10bit 4:2:2 internal.
Downsampled 1080p from 4K, making this the best 1080p hybrid ever made! No line skipping or pixel binning.
No internal RAW.
600mbps bitrate
Base ISO 160 for S-LOG3
No Dual ISO
Max ISO 409600 (video)
16bit RAW output
Sony claims 15 stops dynamic range
Movie Edit add-on compatibility for Image Stabilization in post
World’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)
Same Sony A7rIV AF...

Continue reading...

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
The EVF MP count is crazy! This is what makes the camera a 4k$ model I think? :D

Never thought that we will have this fast more then the high end 5,7MP currently!

Also the dual sd/cfe cardslot is awesome!! The R5 should have this too!

But I think this camera is a bit late.... no RAW internal... and really expensive for a 12MP small video camera with FE mount?
Maybe they could give it a new name like A7v (v for video)?!^^
Astrophotographer will not switch I think.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Wow, $4000 for a 12MP camera? :ROFLMAO:
If you like videos, you are ready to pay for it.
There must be a reason for 12MP.
I am still confused though, what does this practically mean? " Records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI " and only up to 4k60 will be 10bit 4:2:2 internal . Are there external recorders who can do those? For how much?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
how is the world's highest resolution EVF relevant in a video oriented camera?
also, a bit more pixels and that EVF would have been the same resolution as the sensor...strange choices, sony.. :)))

Aren’t reported EVF dot counts ”marketing values” ie. total number of RGB subpixels rather than what we usually mean by pixels? (Hence ”dots” instead of ”pixels”.) So assuming there are three dots per pixel (could be four as well) the math would work out toabout half the linear resolution of the sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
This is so strange. Reading through those specs and seeing all the typical Sony Alpha Bois going nuts...I see a very mediocre camera by comparison. I also laugh at how wrong Alpha Rumors always is - they really do just make things up and credit fake sources. So this can't shoot 4K 120p internally... That means slow motion shots need to use a potentially bulkier cage/rig to support an external recorder or set off on a tripod versus the R5 which can easily be used for handheld clips (*if it's not too hot). A 600mbps bit rate....in what shooting mode? Is that the maximum?!

But, in all honesty, if the camera can shoot in all 4K modes all day, this is a winner. Canon swung for the fences and hit the foul poles. The R5 and R6 sacrificed reliability over winning the spec war and it may come back to haunt them. If these are the specs of the A7SIII, then I feel sorry for Sony shooters that were waiting for this camera for so long. It's internal recording capabilities don't feel that impressive, but if they work reliably, that might be all that matters to people who really use their gear professionally. It appears everyone just wants to stick with 4K. 8K is neat, but impractical for average use.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
how is the world's highest resolution EVF relevant in a video oriented camera?
also, a bit more pixels and that EVF would have been the same resolution as the sensor...strange choices, sony.. :)))

Not quite, the EVF is 9.44 M-Dots but only 3.14MP. Still, really exciting to see such a high resolution EVF. Hopefully the viewfinder magnification has been scaled up to take advantage of all that resolution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
Cinema cameras do 1:1 readout, right?
Depends. My C300 (and the C100) I think has a 4k sensor but records 1080 footage. I think generally if you're shooting raw video though, it'll be 1:1 since the whole thing with raw imagery is you're getting the image before it's debayered (at least as I understand it) which means raw footage can't really be oversampled...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0