Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
NEW YORK — July 16, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the latest addition to its acclaimed Alpha 7R series full-frame mirrorless camera line-up: the extremely versatile, powerful Alpha 7R IV (model ILCE-7RM4).
Sony’s highest resolution full-frame camera ever, the new Alpha 7R IV delivers stunning image quality with high resolution and wide dynamic range while maintaining outstanding focusing performance, high-speed continuous shooting and much, much more.
“We are continuing to drive innovation, break boundaries and redefine the expectations of digital camera performance,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Product and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “The new Alpha 7R IV combines medium format-level image quality with high-speed shooting, extremely fast focusing and an extensive list of upgrades to design, connectivity and usability. This will allow professional photographers, videographers and all other types of creators...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe Sony fans will stop harping about video (little chance, I know) when Canon introduces non-crop 4k/30fps to the pro models of R. One notable thing about the new camera is that while the sensor is more megapixels the video capabilities didn't actually improve, except for getting rid of pixel binning. So in fact Canon has the ability to improve over the Sony in these areas. I don't know if Canon will get better DR than the Sony, but if it gets to 13 or 14 stops of range it's close enough.

It'll also be interesting to see if canon rolls out something like pixel shifting on their version of this camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As a wildlife photographer i am kind of torn between canon and sony at the moment. On the one hand i really like canon so far and am pleased with the gear, but my needs arent getting adressed. i am longing for a native not 10k+ wildlife lens and for an up to date good high iso camera body with good reach (high mp) that can handle moving subjects.

sony seems really good regarding those requirements. 200-600 f6.3 + this 60mp beast with 10fps and supposedly a9 tracking is really all i want.

i dont know what to do. i really like canon but my needs arent getting adressed :/

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
Nothing else attracts me more than Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L, and Canon RF 16-28mm F2 L.

Basically Canon RF F1.2 primes and F2 zooms are much more important, for pro level photography/equipment in my opinion, than anything else in mirrorless industry. Lenses are much more important than bodies. Canon R body is behind for sure and it will catch up. But if the lens mount has flaw, it is going to stay there for 30 years.

The only thing about Canon RF lenses that bothers me is the prices. Cheaper than Zeiss Otus, Leica M, I know. But still too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
As a wildlife photographer i am kind of torn between canon and sony at the moment. On the one hand i really like canon so far and am pleased with the gear, but my needs arent getting adressed. i am longing for a native not 10k+ wildlife lens and for an up to date good high iso camera body with good reach (high mp) that can handle moving subjects.

sony seems really good regarding those requirements. 200-600 f6.3 + this 60mp beast with 10fps and supposedly a9 tracking is really all i want.

i dont know what to do. i really like canon but my needs arent getting adressed :/
I'm not sure about your lens choice, Sony doesn't have much to offer price-wise that Canon doesn't have. Least of all, the Sigma 150-600 is sub $1k on all platforms. So that's one thing you needn't worry about too much. The rest of it is just a camera body. If you need the Sony, get it, but if not, wait?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about your lens choice, Sony doesn't have much to offer price-wise that Canon doesn't have. Least of all, the Sigma 150-600 is sub $1k on all platforms. So that's one thing you needn't worry about too much. The rest of it is just a camera body. If you need the Sony, get it, but if not, wait?
Currently on the 80d and sigma 150-600 sport. the 80d was nice for starting out but now i want something more professional. I want maximum reach because its often difficult to get close to subjects.
for the last two years i was waiting for the 7d iii but i changed my mind along the way. i basicaly want the reach of an aps-c but also the good iso and ability to blur the background of a full frame (for when i can get close). so a high mp ff is suited best.

For composition i am used to having a lot of freedom with the 80d, but on the 5dsr the focusing points are all clumbed in the middle. thats why i need a mirrorless ff with high mp.
sonys offering is basicaly exactly what i want. good reach, good iso, good fps, good tracking.

i hope the canon eos high mp model can offer something similar, but im not sure. i hope so tho

PS: and im not a noob who thinks he will be pro with a better camera. i think im already doing a decent job and just want features that match the efforts that i put in. all animals in the wild:

Attachments

• Unbenannt2.PNG
    Unbenannt2.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,015
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 2323.JPG
    2323.JPG
    492.3 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

I've been with Canon for years: from 500d to 5dM3 and I like them a lot.
For the last 3 years I had couple of a7II and now a7r3. I love it.
Do I need 60+ megapixels?? Probably not.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

You could have Nikon 500 5.6PF with D500 and D850.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

I have exactly the same requirements and Sony seems to be the best choice. Can get this 60MP camera and have 200-1000mm from 61MP to 22MP.
Basically replaces the 7D2 with better reach and better image quality. Can also add a A6300/6400 for bargain backup which fits in a very small place..

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Sounds awesome!!!

But what I really don't understand..why don't lower the res. in the Sony camers in the body!
I m often using with my 5DIV only 17MP.. or sometimes less! I have also done this with my 5DII (22 & 10MP)! This is a feature I dont want to miss!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Nothing else attracts me more than Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L, and Canon RF 16-28mm F2 L.

Basically Canon RF F1.2 primes and F2 zooms are much more important, in my opinion, than anything else in mirrorless industry. Lenses are much more important than bodies. Canon R body is behind for sure and it will catch up. But if the lens mount has flaw, it is going to stay there for 30 years.

The only thing about Canon RF lenses that bothers me is prices.
16-28 is is rumored and why so important over a 2.8 15-35 is??

Upvote 0
One notable thing about the new camera is that while the sensor is more megapixels the video capabilities didn't actually improve, except for getting rid of pixel binning. So in fact Canon has the ability to improve over the Sony in these areas.

The lack of pixel binning is a major improvement as it means that the sensor readout speed has increased despite the increase in megapixels. The A7RIII was already twice faster than the A7RII.
Canon has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to readout speeds and all the more so for high megapixels sensors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I am sure that it will be s great camera, but I still like Canon ergonomics and the file size of my 5DIV. I really don’t need or want 61 MP. I am sure Canon will probably surpass this Sony with even more MP, but other than having the ability to crop with this many MP, the usefulness of extremely high MP is questionable. I do like 90 % of my cropping in-camera. I rarely crop a native image.

Upvote 0