iPadOS and backing up

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A major drawback with the iPad Pro and earlier is that whereas you can download images from your camera, card reader or external drive, you can't transfer files to an external drive for backing up. But, that is now solved. iPadOS will be available 09/30 and iOS 13 for the iPhone on 09/19 https://www.apple.com/uk/ipados/
This will be a real boon for travel. We will be able to download images directly from our cameras and card readers to any suitable app on the iPAD, like LR, and not just to Photos. And, more importantly, we will now be able to plug an external drive into an iPad and transfer and back up files to it. I'll be travelling from now on with my wife with two iPads and two back-up drives to have overkill for backing up. It doesn't look like we'll be able to use iPhones with drives but SSD cards should work https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ternal-storage-on-ipad-and-iphone-with-ios-13 So, a few cheap high capacity SD cards and a card reader and iPhone will allow single slot cameras like the R to back up their card.

Reactions: 1 user

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is interesting and is something I've wondered about. Is it conceivable that a camera manufacturer could implement some of this in-camera. Wouldn't this be a selling feature?

Jack
Yes! I tried tethering my 5DIV to a WD SSD and use the card copy function of the 5DIV. It didn't work. It would be so great if we could back up in such a way. Zeiss, I recall, is incorporating PS in its new camera for in camera processing so there is some future in harnessing more of the computing power of the processor.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was looking forward to using Canon's DPP Express app, which will work on .CR3 files (for the 90D in mycase) and jpegs in general, and checked it yesterday to find a pop-up that it will become a paid for app from October. I found DPR reported this on 9 Sept, and it will be a subscription service. I wonder what's going on.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A major drawback with the iPad Pro and earlier is that whereas you can download images from your camera, card reader or external drive, you can't transfer files to an external drive for backing up. But, that is now solved. iPadOS will be available 09/30 and iOS 13 for the iPhone on 09/19 https://www.apple.com/uk/ipados/
This will be a real boon for travel. We will be able to download images directly from our cameras and card readers to any suitable app on the iPAD, like LR, and not just to Photos. And, more importantly, we will now be able to plug an external drive into an iPad and transfer and back up files to it. I'll be travelling from now on with my wife with two iPads and two back-up drives to have overkill for backing up. It doesn't look like we'll be able to use iPhones with drives but SSD cards should work https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ternal-storage-on-ipad-and-iphone-with-ios-13 So, a few cheap high capacity SD cards and a card reader and iPhone will allow single slot cameras like the R to back up their card.
Yes I've been eagerly awaiting this new functionality. Although I got a 1TB iPad and you can plug a card reader or camera into it now so on most trips don't need additional storage the necessity to channel through Photos can be annoying. I have a Sandisk 2TB SSD waiting. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...sk_sdssde60_2t00_g25_extreme_600_2tb_ssd.html

The iPad move to USB-C was a main reason for me upgrading.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was looking forward to using Canon's DPP Express app, which will work on .CR3 files (for the 90D in mycase) and jpegs in general, and checked it yesterday to find a pop-up that it will become a paid for app from October. I found DPR reported this on 9 Sept, and it will be a subscription service. I wonder what's going on.
Yes very disappointing, mind you the .CR3 and no .CR2 killed it for me anyway.

As for the fees, they are trying to make it a cloud service so somebody has to pay for the server space.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If only they'd invent removable memory where all the jpgs and raw files were stored and also invent removable memory readers that any file browser could access.
I don't understand the first part. Second part is only possible if the card has more than just memory, like some kind of USB interface which I guess means a much larger card. There must be some way that the ease of backup could be improved, I'm sure. Maybe the issue is, how many camera owners worry about backup.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I gave up on ipads. I can tether my Samsung Tablet to my camera and download raw, jpg, or both plus I can remotely control it by tether as well. I can save to the internal microSD card, so I can have as much saved as I have cards.

When I plug in my camera (EOS R), or 5D MK IV, a window opens offering me Camera Importer, Downloads, Gallery, Lightroom, or DSLR Controller.

The apps show the embedded jpg image in the raw photo, so it might only be Lightroom or DSLR Controller that actually deals with raw images, I have not tried the others, since they only download images from the memory card. Only DSLR controller controls my camera remotely, the others just download from the camera card.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't understand the first part. Second part is only possible if the card has more than just memory, like some kind of USB interface which I guess means a much larger card. There must be some way that the ease of backup could be improved, I'm sure. Maybe the issue is, how many camera owners worry about backup.

Jack
It's all a bit cryptic. Judging by the amount of discussion about 1 vs 2 card slots and work arounds when just having one slot, there is a lot of interest about backing up.

Upvote 0

Jack

There are only two parts to it.
The white, Samsung branded cable is a USB host adapter, also known as USB OTG (On The Go).
The black, IOGear branded device is is a card reader that accepts standard and/or micro size SD cards.
There are many brands and styles of these devices. I think there are single piece, thumb drive size card readers on the market now.

I could have phrased my previous post less ambiguously.
Rather than "removable memory readers" I should have written to the effect of 'readers of removable memory'.
- -
In use, insert your camera's memory into the reader, connect via the adapter to your phone, tablet, laptop or whatever, open that device's file browser and copy/paste whatever you want off the card to whatever destination you'd like on the device.

If your device has no file browser or it has one that you don't know how to use, spend large on a proprietary and kludgey work around.

File management is really an essential compute device ability.
Operating systems each have their own file structure and means to place files in planned locations, owners/operators should also plan and establish their own folder/file structures and have the ability to place their own files where and how they choose.

Why is this so hard for so many? Is it due to Apple's walled garden approach to everything? Adobe's (and others') insisting that your files go where their software decides?
NO Lightroom, you are NOT placing my files levels deep in Program Files, I'll place them where I want, you can build your catalog from there.

File browsing, folder and file structures, they're elementary computer concepts and skills.

usb-host-reader.jpgusb-host-reader.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I downloaded iPadOS 13.1 as soon as it became available this evening (BST). It works well for downloading photos to my iPad Pro and transferring to an external hard drive. I imported RAW images to Photos, set up a folder in Files and copied the images there, and then copied them to the SSD opened in files. If you want to transfer RAW images directly, it is important not to edit them in Photos first otherwise it exports only the jpegs. The workaround if you have edited is to import into LR iPad and then choose to export the original+jpeg to Files.
So, for our next trips, we can safely make do with our iPads and a back up drive or two.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I downloaded iPadOS 13.1 as soon as it became available this evening (BST). It works well for downloading photos to my iPad Pro and transferring to an external hard drive. I imported RAW images to Photos, set up a folder in Files and copied the images there, and then copied them to the SSD opened in files. If you want to transfer RAW images directly, it is important not to edit them in Photos first otherwise it exports only the jpegs. The workaround if you have edited is to import into LR iPad and then choose to export the original+jpeg to Files.
So, for our next trips, we can safely make do with our iPads and a back up drive or two.
Yep I’m using iPadOS now too and liking it a lot. I can’t recommend the Sandisk SSD shown earlier Highly enough, robust, small, light and unbelievably fast. Comes with USB-C and older USB cable too so it can be used on new and older stuff, its weatherproof too!

Upvote 0