Is a 6K Canon Cinema EOS C900 Coming in 2018? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told, though we haven’t confirmed, that Canon will announce a 6K Cinema EOS camera to compete with the Sony CineAlta VENICE 6K camera likely in May of 2018 (though the announcement date isn’t yet set in stone).</p>
<p>The new camera that could potentially be called the “C900” will incorporate a new full frame (larger than Super35) 6K image sensor.</p>
<p>It’s possible the camera could be announced at NAB in April, but it appears more likely that it’ll be announced after that trade show.</p>

<p>The same source also mentioned that Canon will be using their <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/first-photo-of-the-cinema-eos-8k-camera/">8K camera that they showed at the CineExpo in 2015</a> for Japanese coverage of the winter Olympic games in PyeongChang, South Korea in February. The cameras will not yet be consumer products at that time.</p>
<p>More to come as we get further confirmation.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 12, 2011
kphoto99 said:
So for video, bigger number means higher end camera and in photo that is the opposite. That must be Canon logic.

There’s probably some obscure marketing research study they did that supports a theory of videographers and cinematographers responding to bigger numbers and spec bumps and photographers responding to simplicity in numbering and ease of use. Or it’s just random :)

Either way, if true, this is good news in that Canon believes a 6K camera is necessary to compete, which it is. Will cost be competitive with Sony and Red, though- that’s a good question.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Cochese said:
"Larger sensor for 6K. They will need new lenses to cover the enlarged sensor. Could this be a harbinger a MF camera?"

No, it's a full frame sensor. It's just larger than Super35.

(For some reason, I can't quote like normal).

too bad. I would like to see Canon get into MF, phase one is out of my price range (of course I don't need 100MP images, either)

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
JoseB said:
Canon should put this inside 6D2...

yeah because a $70,000++ CINI camera and a 2K DSLR have so much in common.
::)
They have the same canon logo on them. They are both mainly black on the outside. They both have interchangeable lenses. They both record images.
Sounds almost identical to me ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
A couple of weeks back was the BSC Show in London where Arri launched the Alexa LF large format camera with Signature lenses. Panavision announced the DXL2 large format camera and Sony had another public viewing of the Venice.
The elephant in the room is Canon and rumors were rife in Los Angeles this past week that the C900 will be announced at NAB as Canon doesn't want to miss out on the large format cinema market. Zeiss recently announced the large format "Supreme" lenses, Cookes have the S7i lenses, Leica the Thalia lenses and Panavision the Primo 70 and Artise lenses so their are large format lens options.

Upvote 0