Jpeg image sizes?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I was just spending some time getting to grips with DxO. I exported some images to file as Jpegs, they were in the order of 20Mb. I thought I could get away with half size for what I wanted as I have no intention of discarding the raw file!
I see a scale in DxO export settings, Quality 0-100, must be percent right? That is the first assumption that will prove a point! ;D
It obviously isn't percentage, but what is it, from trial and error I find that somewhere in the 96-97 range gives half size files! Please see attached list.

Dxo jpeg sizes by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

The blue highlighted set is from one image, I realised it was a crop when I went to compare the raw file so I repeated the 95-100 set and added the raw for comparison. Can anyone tell me how this scale works, it just seems completely random that a quality of 50/100ths (%? ;D) can give a file size of 1/16th the full size file.
Someone must know the answer to this, please! It's making my brain ache! (How do you draw a smiley with smoke coming out the ears?) ;D
Thanks in advance for help with this, I know it is not necessary to know the answer but enquiring minds need (like) to know.

Cheers, Graham.

As you've both posted, it is a percentage, but it's related to the amount of compression, not the resulting file size. At 100%, it's nearly uncompressed and quite large. As you increase compression (lower percent), the algorithm throws away more and more data and in essence becomes more efficient leading to a psuedo-logarithmic reduction of file size. Here's plenty more if you want to geek out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#JPEG_compression

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
Thanks for that, I guess that all software will use a similar scale, I believe even the gimp which I used for the attached image has the same sort of scale, I just never wanted to reduce the image size below maximum before as I only ever fiddled with out of camera Jpegs which are small enough anyway!
I was interested in the logic behind the scale as much as the sizes, though I will say I'm glad my files are not as big as yours!

Edit.
Hi Mackguyver.
I think our replies crossed in the post as it were! Thanks for the response, I shall have a look at the link, not sure I want to geek out too much though!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Valvebounce said:
Thanks for that, I guess that all software will use a similar scale

Definitely not, and there are even some really weird scales like LR/ACR that isn't linear at all. See: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Also unknown to some, there is another quality factor that has a noticeable impact on the filesize - subsampling. Some software changes it from medium quality 2x1 to hq 1x1 on very low jpeg compression like 90+, that's when you see a strange filesize bumb. See: http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/chroma-subsampling.html

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
With Lightroom, you set the DPI of the jpeg image, so its another variable. I sold the D800, at high ISO, those 50MB nef files uncompressed to over 150MB and took a long time to post process. I used a huge amount of NR, and then any resolution advantage was lost. Since I tend to use mostly high iISO like 12800, the camera was not the right choice. My Nikon 24-70 2.8G had a ton of CA. I thought it was defective until I read the fine print in the reviews. I was using it at 24mm to take group photos, but the edges had so much CA that Lightroom could not correct it. There is more to a camera system than a sensor.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I think the content of the image plays a role in the final file size. If there is a lot of repitition of data, the smaller a resulting compressed file can be. So a file with for example lots of gradiated blue sky will result in a more data efficient compressed file. A noisy image with lots of fine textures will result in a larger compressed file.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
With Lightroom, you set the DPI of the jpeg image, so its another variable. I sold the D800, at high ISO, those 50MB nef files uncompressed to over 150MB and took a long time to post process. I used a huge amount of NR, and then any resolution advantage was lost. Since I tend to use mostly high iISO like 12800, the camera was not the right choice. My Nikon 24-70 2.8G had a ton of CA. I thought it was defective until I read the fine print in the reviews. I was using it at 24mm to take group photos, but the edges had so much CA that Lightroom could not correct it. There is more to a camera system than a sensor.

DPI does not affect jpeg file size. Number of pixels does, as does content (more detail bigger files), noise, iso (because of the noise), quality setting etc.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
DPI does not affect jpeg file size. Number of pixels does, as does content (more detail bigger files), noise, iso (because of the noise), quality setting etc.
Makes sense, I have no excuse for my senility ;)

But I can understand the notion because pixel processing software like LR seems to make makes a large fuss about dpi settings, but it only matters for import into desktop publishing and is irrelevant for other print/screen purposes.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi privatebydesign.
I had read that in previous posts, makes you wonder why the products all have DPI so prominent in the menu?
DxO has the DPI setting in an expanded box above a collapsed re-sample box, took me ages to find the settings to resize an image! :eek:
Do as many people as the manufacturers think actually use these softwares to output to print?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
:)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Marsu42 said:
privatebydesign said:
Makes sense, I have no excuse for my senility ;)

But I can understand the notion because pixel processing software like LR seems to make makes a large fuss about dpi settings, but it only matters for import into desktop publishing and is irrelevant for other print/screen purposes.

I don't think LR makes a large fuss over dpi, it is just a tag. But it is what gives you your print size unless you deliberately specify something different, and if you still have a version of PS that has the "Print View" option in the zoom settings and you have set your monitor up correctly then it gives you a pretty accurate WYSIWYG idea of your print. I use Print View all the time and that 100% is driven by dpi.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi privatebydesign.
I had read that in previous posts, makes you wonder why the products all have DPI so prominent in the menu?
DxO has the DPI setting in an expanded box above a collapsed re-sample box, took me ages to find the settings to resize an image! :eek:
Do as many people as the manufacturers think actually use these softwares to output to print?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
:)

DPI doesn't just relate to print, it relates to what size you see your image on screen in some modes. It might be a legacy concept much of the time, but that is down to our misunderstanding of the idea rather than manufacturers being stuck in a previous time.

I use DPI as a key component to handling files non distructively on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Well I have read some from most of the links you all sent me, Mackguyver, I got lost by the time I got to the maths on the Wikipedia link you sent, I couldn't geek out that much! Marsu, I had a look at the links you sent, incredible how good the blind looks at low quality that messes the sun blind, interesting about the chroma sub-sampling.
I think I am none the wiser about the answer, though I do now understand a bit more about the quality level not needing to be 100 to get acceptable images, in some instances it would appear that a lot lower (50?) might be perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for trying to educate me folks much appreciated.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0