Just Bought ProGrade CFast Cards

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
After losing a card wallet with at least two-three CFast Cards while covering a sporting event this past weekend I went on a search for some replacements.

I decided to try the new ProGrade cards as I could buy two 128 mb cards for not much more than a single card from SanDisk or Lexar (if you can find Lexar in stock anywhere) and less than the cost of two 64 gb cards from either manufacturer.

Arrived today. I've only just put one in the camera, formatted it and fired off a couple of shots. Curious is anyone else has used these new cards and what results they are getting. I will share my experience after I've shot with them for awhile.

BTW, I ordered direct from the company's website. Same price as retailers. They arrived three days later and included a 10% off coupon for the next purchase.

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jeffa4444 said:
CFast are the most unreliable cards out there for higher end video. We have them for Arri Amira cameras and the failure rate is by far the worst we have seen.

I wonder if it's something about video or something about Arri Amira. In about two years of shooting stills with the 1DxII I've never had a problem with Lexar or SanDisk once Canon implemented the fix for the SanDisk hiccup.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
unfocused said:
jeffa4444 said:
CFast are the most unreliable cards out there for higher end video. We have them for Arri Amira cameras and the failure rate is by far the worst we have seen.

I wonder if it's something about video or something about Arri Amira. In about two years of shooting stills with the 1DxII I've never had a problem with Lexar or SanDisk once Canon implemented the fix for the SanDisk hiccup.

Hmmm, keeping my eye on this. I never heard anything about CFast card failures either.

I am going to be making a purchase of the ProGrade Digital cards in the near future, but I was waiting for confirmation of the next Canon bodies supporting it before I drop another $400 on cards that I can only use in one camera.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
unfocused said:
jeffa4444 said:

Never had a problem with the Sandisk cards.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I thought I would update this post. It's been about three week so far with the ProGrade cards. So far, I've not had any problems. Keeping fingers crossed, but given the pricing, I'm going to be buying these Cfast cards from now on. I only wish they were making competitively priced Compact Flash cards. I'm guessing it says something about their view of the future of Compact Flash that they only make CFast and SD.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I actually bought them direct off the ProGrade site. I wanted the 128 Gb two-pack and it was not in stock at B&H at the time. It was the same price buying direct as the price from B&H. I just Googled ProGrade Cfast and the company site was one of the choices.
https://progradedigital.com/

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
unfocused said:
I actually bought them direct off the ProGrade site. I wanted the 128 Gb two-pack and it was not in stock at B&H at the time. It was the same price buying direct as the price from B&H. I just Googled ProGrade Cfast and the company site was one of the choices.
https://progradedigital.com/

Thanks! I checked briefly and it seems these would ship from the US - do you know for sure?

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I just received a Super Talent 256 GB Cfast 1 and tried it in the 1DX2. Hopes are up; it did a few minutes of 4K 30 without hick-up. I'll report when I've used it more. I watched the price bounce around for a couple weeks and then grabbed it at what I thought was a minimum (I wasn't too far off), which was $140 CAD - that's about $106 USD in case anyone is interested.

Jack

Upvote 0