Kickstarter: KURVD Universal Lens Hood – The Only Hood for Every Camera Lens.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
KURVD, the makers of the universal lens cap have launched a new Kickstarter promotion, this time it’s for a universal lens hood.
What is The Universal Lens Hood? 
Here at KUVRD (pronounced ‘covered’), our passion has always been to outfit modern explorers to move forward with less.
Going on two and a half years now, we’ve been doing just that by designing innovative camera accessories and successfully funding them here on Kickstarter.
The goal has always been the same; to create tools that help eliminate photographer’s anxieties and enhance their workflow. And now, more than ever before, we’re thrilled to state, “We’ve done it again”. And this time, with our most innovative product yet; The Universal Lens Hood.
At some point in shooting, we utilize our lens hoods to enhance our shot and/or protect our lenses. The Universal Lens Hood is the best way to both enhance and protect your camera lenses. Period.
It’s designed to fit any camera lens, hold any sized circular filter...

Continue reading...

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Practical?
Changing lenses would mean having to remove the lens-shade, installing it on the new lens, also having to adapt the shade's length (depth?) to the new lens.
But, as an "always- in -the -bag-in-case-I-again-forgot-the-dedicated-shade", why not...
Well you could always have several of those, one for each lens you're carrying, they're cheap enough (cheaper than any of Canon's own anyway).

I am somewhat sceptical about how easy they are to install as compared to regular hoods though, and whether they really fit all possible lenses - imagining stretching one over a 400/2.8...

But I like the idea, and will probably get one/some, as you say, to use as emergency backup hood if nothing else.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well you could always have several of those, one for each lens you're carrying, they're cheap enough (cheaper than any of Canon's own anyway).

I am somewhat sceptical about how easy they are to install as compared to regular hoods though, and whether they really fit all possible lenses - imagining stretching one over a 400/2.8...

But I like the idea, and will probably get one/some, as you say, to use as emergency backup hood if nothing else.
Their site states that the large size fits up to only 112mm, which is clearly too small for a 400/2.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
it looks like a more robust version of the JJC silicon hoods which you can buy for about 150HKD I think (2 sizes), which are aimed to solely shoot through glass. I bought them to try aerial shots from the tallest man made viewpoint in HK. The larger one for JJC only supports up to 88mm (not tried it), and do not look as well made as this one.

These look to have a thicker silicon / rubber which will hold it's form better, and thus stand up to more regular swapping between hoods. I don't mind the swap as often I will invert a lens hood before returning it to the bag. However, offers me minimal protection of the lens which I use the hoods for.

So as Del Paso said, for the right price as a leave it in your bag all the time for emergencies, sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Their site states that the large size fits up to only 112mm, which is clearly too small for a 400/2.8.

In addition, I love the Canon hoods for their big glass (even transportation I sit them in my main luggage on their ends and put clothes inside them :D .

In use, I often stand the camera on the lens with the hood on, and as I mentioned in another thread, the hood protects my lens in case it ever fell down or fell out of a vehicle. So for me personally, I would not consider it on big whites.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Hard Pass for me. Concept looks interesting... I guess.

But has some flaws...
Putting that around RF glass will pretty much obscure lens functions (zoom, focus, switches, mf ring). Stock keeps everything accessible.
Filter placement seems wonky... wouldn't trust that floating around by the front element (for the filter and the lens). Also wouldn't there be a negative effect if not parallel.
Hoods normally attach via front so it moves when zooming in and out (for compact lenses), or focusing for others. So being a body mount would cause issues for those lenses.
Looked extremely flimsy for accidental vignetting, especially with wind.

Upvote 0