Kickstarter: Peak Design Unveils The Next Generation of Camera Tripods

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've have some very mixed experiences with Kickstarter. Alot of the projects are completely rubbish. I've one project its almost 3 year waiting. I've no faith it will be delivered but they keep posting positive updates.
I'd give Peak Design their due. They always deliver and pretty much on time. Communication is excellent.
There are a number of positive comments here on their bags.
I have two the Messenger Bag and a 30L Backpack.
The messenger bag looks great but its the most uncomfortable bag to carry with any weight on board.
The 30L Backpack is more comfortable and parts of the design are nice.
Typically I don't use either because the traditional makers like Lowepro make much more practical and useful camera bags.
I have their shoulder strap and a clutch and a Pro pad clip.
In every case they look beautifully designed but other less glamourous and cheaper alternatives work better.
There's almost too much clever design and not enough practical design.
I find with Peak Design its a cult like following and they are very clever with their collaborations with people like Trey Radcliffe to promote their items.
This tripod will be interesting.
It's expensive and its not possible to know in advance whether it is good.
I have a Gitzo travel tripod and its very expensive but its a great tripod. I use it all the time as its so easy to carry.
I had the reassurance before buying it that many of its users were very happy with it.
Anyway buyer beware - I'd have far more faith in Peak Design than other fly by nights on Kickstarter.
The locking mechanism on the plate / tripod head looks interesting. Long term alot will depend on whether the ball head maintains its grip. Usually the ball is supported / locked from below rather than above.
The tripod seems to be a little short as well (a travel tripod has to have some sort of compromise on height). Not sure what the centre column brings the height up to. I think its a short centre column.
As for the rest of Kickstarter. I wouldn't recommend it all unless you are prepared to get nothing or something crappy for your money.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm a massive fan of Peak Design gear. It's well designed and fit-for-purpose but where they absolutely shine is in their support. A few examples:
  • I noticed one of my anchor links was fraying so posted a photo on Twitter about it. They responded by saying they had upgraded their anchor links and posted new ones out to me free of charge,
  • last year, when we visited San Francisco we dropped by their only retail outlet. Almost immediately, the guy there noticed that both my wife and I were using the first generation slides and swapped them both for the latest model - again, totally free,
  • on the same visit, I mentioned that my back pack had a internal zip that had always been 'sticky'. So I took it back the next day and again they exchanged it for a brand new bag.
So, yes their gear is expensive. But it is so well designed, it solves problems and they are committed to their products. I'm going to back this one, it's just pity that it comes too late for my overseas holiday this year.

Upvote 0
The messenger bag looks great but its the most uncomfortable bag to carry with any weight on board.
I had the original Messenger bag and have to agree with this. I took it to NZ and with camera, lenses and tripod it was too much. Mind you, I'm a small-framed skinny person so it might be better for someone who is more 'robust'.

I've got the 20L version (see my comment above about being small) and I love it. In particular, the ability to swing it across your torso, open the side and do a lens change in the body of the bag is a great concept. It's surprisingly waterproof - we had a downpour in Rome where I was so wet that the papers in my wallet were drenched but the inside of the pack was dry. My only quibble is the waist strap could be bulkier - I do use it to drop the weight on to my hips but it's pretty narrow.

I find with Peak Design its a cult like following
I think I resemble that comment!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think that it's an interesting design. I think it's incredibly compact and small...but here are a few of my thoughts.
Firstly it's got a lot of leg levers to undo...it's going to be slow to operate. Have a look at the Sachtler Flowtech 75 for a better design of top operated leg levers....one lever undoes the whole leg.
The other problem with this design is the very thin center pole. It's very thin and looks wobbly. I like the integral ball head...but it's using it's own clip / camera mount design which is a mistake. It really needs to be Arca / Swiss compatible or it's a no - go for me. Any tripod that can't use an Arca Swiss L bracket is pointless in my opinion.

Upvote 0
The other problem with this design is the very thin center pole. It's very thin and looks wobbly. I like the integral ball head...but it's using it's own clip / camera mount design which is a mistake. It really needs to be Arca / Swiss compatible or it's a no - go for me. Any tripod that can't use an Arca Swiss L bracket is pointless in my opinion.

the head is arca swiss compatible

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi GMCPhotographics.
The demo I saw showed all the leg clamps being undone with one swift one handed operation, does the Sachtler lock all the legs with the one lever or only unlock? If it is only unlock, it seems pretty much equal to me.
The very thin centre pole looks triangular (ish) in form, so possibly stiffer than a round pole that fit the same minor dimension?
The head is Arca Swiss compatible, I think I saw it in the specs or heard it in the review, compatible with Arca Swiss plates and L plates.

Still not going to invest in one, waaaay too rich for my budget! Money no object I might try one but until the numbers come up.......

Cheers, Graham.

I think that it's an interesting design. I think it's incredibly compact and small...but here are a few of my thoughts.
Firstly it's got a lot of leg levers to undo...it's going to be slow to operate. Have a look at the Sachtler Flowtech 75 for a better design of top operated leg levers....one lever undoes the whole leg.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is overpriced and not worth device. It will wobble if you extended the legs. No compare with Gitzo. It just a ripoff and not a recommendation.

How would you know? You've got one to test?

Obviously the "influencer" push is lame... all of them harping on the same points and using the same verbiage like "negative space" is hilariously transparent. I've lost a lot of respect for a bunch of these guys just watching all of these videos on this tripod.

That said... the design looks really good. I backed a carbon fiber version because packing my mefoto tripod sucks. I don't even try to take my Gitzo traveler series 2, it's way too big to fit in my carry ons.

We'll see how it performs, I think it'll be good, and for me if it is as stable as my mefoto carbon fiber, and saves what appears to be about 33% of the volume... it's worth the extra money.

My only real concern is that center column. If it is solid carbon fiber it might be stable, if it's not... it probably isn't and the tripod will be nearly unusable with the column extended much.

Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
I have an RRS TV-24 that has served me well. I currently take it on trips. But it is just a little large for smaller suitcases I might want to use, and a little long when it comes to comfortably strapping it on to my camera bag. So there are times I just don't take it out with me. The Peak Design model looks to solve those problems. For me then the trade off is not whether it is the most stable tripod out there (I am sure my TV-24 beats it in that regard) but whether it is more stable than me hand holding my shots. I have high confidence it will succeed in that regard. And due to the shorter length and lesser weight, it will also be included in virtually any trips or hikes I might take. And lastly for me, since my main tripod head that I use on my TV-24 is an Arca Swiss P0, this thing will be very familiar to operate. I love that type of design. I will slightly miss the panning adjustment, but in the interest of size and weight I understand it. I pledged for the carbon fiber model as soon as I found out about it and expect to be fully satisfied for my travel use cases. For times when I want or need to use the TV-24 instead I will do so, but this tripod looks to be a great option if smaller and lighter is required while still getting decent stability.

ML

Upvote 0
Hi GMCPhotographics.
The demo I saw showed all the leg clamps being undone with one swift one handed operation, does the Sachtler lock all the legs with the one lever or only unlock? If it is only unlock, it seems pretty much equal to me.
The very thin centre pole looks triangular (ish) in form, so possibly stiffer than a round pole that fit the same minor dimension?
The head is Arca Swiss compatible, I think I saw it in the specs or heard it in the review, compatible with Arca Swiss plates and L plates.

Still not going to invest in one, waaaay too rich for my budget! Money no object I might try one but until the numbers come up.......

Cheers, Graham.
The Sachtler is a one click lock or unlock the whole leg extension and operated at the head. So you hold the tripod head where you want the pod to stay...unclick and click. the legs extend to where you need them in one motion and then re-click. It's so amazingly quick and simple...it's the fastest tripod I've ever used and incredibly stable. Way faster and more stable than anything in the Gitzo range.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The Sachtler is a one click lock or unlock the whole leg extension and operated at the head. So you hold the tripod head where you want the pod to stay...unclick and click. the legs extend to where you need them in one motion and then re-click. It's so amazingly quick and simple...it's the fastest tripod I've ever used and incredibly stable. Way faster and more stable than anything in the Gitzo range.
While I do agree it's functions and construction are fantastic, it's also priced out of most shooters budgets. Some might say this Kickstarter is as well.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi GMCPhotographics.
Thank you for the clarification, as you say, this would appear to be a superior system.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

I call BS on this one. Hope I’m wrong, but I highly highly doubt it’s sturdier than a series 2 traveler. It’s rated to 2/3 the weight.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I've have some very mixed experiences with Kickstarter. Alot of the projects are completely rubbish. I've one project its almost 3 year waiting. I've no faith it will be delivered but they keep posting positive updates.
I'd give Peak Design their due. They always deliver and pretty much on time. Communication is excellent.
There are a number of positive comments here on their bags.
I have two the Messenger Bag and a 30L Backpack.
Typically I don't use either because the traditional makers like Lowepro make much more practical and useful camera bags.
I have their shoulder strap and a clutch and a Pro pad clip.
In every case they look beautifully designed but other less glamourous and cheaper alternatives work better.
There's almost too much clever design and not enough practical design.
I find with Peak Design its a cult like following and they are very clever with their collaborations with people like Trey Radcliffe to promote their items.
This tripod will be interesting.
It's expensive and its not possible to know in advance whether it is good.
I have a Gitzo travel tripod and its very expensive but its a great tripod. I use it all the time as its so easy to carry.
I had the reassurance before buying it that many of its users were very happy with it.
Anyway buyer beware - I'd have far more faith in Peak Design than other fly by nights on Kickstarter.
The locking mechanism on the plate / tripod head looks interesting. Long term alot will depend on whether the ball head maintains its grip. Usually the ball is supported / locked from below rather than above.
The tripod seems to be a little short as well (a travel tripod has to have some sort of compromise on height). Not sure what the centre column brings the height up to. I think its a short centre column.
As for the rest of Kickstarter. I wouldn't recommend it all unless you are prepared to get nothing or something crappy for your money.
For any interested in this - Tony Northrup has a pretty good review of this tripod. He's actually being filmed using it and discussing it strength's and weaknesses whilst he's using it. With some close-up filming of most of his main discussion points... It's available on YouTube - and recent.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
For any interested in this - Tony Northrup has a pretty good review of this tripod. He's actually being filmed using it and discussing it strength's and weaknesses whilst he's using it. With some close-up filming of most of his main discussion points... It's available on YouTube - and recent.
I hope it's recent, the things still in the funding phase!

Upvote 0
How would you know? You've got one to test?

Obviously the "influencer" push is lame... all of them harping on the same points and using the same verbiage like "negative space" is hilariously transparent. I've lost a lot of respect for a bunch of these guys just watching all of these videos on this tripod.

That said... the design looks really good. I backed a carbon fiber version because packing my mefoto tripod sucks. I don't even try to take my Gitzo traveler series 2, it's way too big to fit in my carry ons.

We'll see how it performs, I think it'll be good, and for me if it is as stable as my mefoto carbon fiber, and saves what appears to be about 33% of the volume... it's worth the extra money.

My only real concern is that center column. If it is solid carbon fiber it might be stable, if it's not... it probably isn't and the tripod will be nearly unusable with the column extended much.

When you get the tripod and you can test it. My experience is a long length regardless of what kind of materials. It tends to create a wobble problem. I learned and avoid it and then it was successful to avoid the wobble situation. In fact that my camera and lens are very heavy. I have to put my tripod as short as possible to increase stability. My oldest tripod, 58 years old with all metal constructed and it very stable. The disadvantage was weight as much as if I carry barbell to the site where I shot the images. Today, the tripod becomes more and more expensive and use carbon fiber materials for the lightweight purpose included compact designed. I love the Gitzo but I hate their price tag. Another point that tripod has a hook so you can put heavy such as carrying a bag to create more stable as possible by hold toward to ground. Sometimes it works but not always, for example, face wind direction that impacts the carrying a bag will swing forward and backward that create unstable. Get my points?

Upvote 0
When you get the tripod and you can test it. My experience is a long length regardless of what kind of materials. It tends to create a wobble problem. I learned and avoid it and then it was successful to avoid the wobble situation. In fact that my camera and lens are very heavy. I have to put my tripod as short as possible to increase stability. My oldest tripod, 58 years old with all metal constructed and it very stable. The disadvantage was weight as much as if I carry barbell to the site where I shot the images. Today, the tripod becomes more and more expensive and use carbon fiber materials for the lightweight purpose included compact designed. I love the Gitzo but I hate their price tag. Another point that tripod has a hook so you can put heavy such as carrying a bag to create more stable as possible by hold toward to ground. Sometimes it works but not always, for example, face wind direction that impacts the carrying a bag will swing forward and backward that create unstable. Get my points?

Of course added length given all other equal variables creates a less stable structure... I have no clue what you’re trying to say other than the obvious.

This tripod is not a tall tripod, it’s not meant to compete with a Gitzo mountaineer or a RRS, it’s meant to compete with compact travel tripods. It’s an interesting design, specifically because the legs are not circular tubes (this fact alone probably accounts for the bulk of the cost, molding carbon fiber to shaped like that can be expensive). Maybe it’s just a gimmick, but the design looks to me like it might be on to something. Only tests will tell. Automatically dismissing it is your choice, I’d prefer to wait and see.

Upvote 0