L-plate for the Canon M3 found

• Thread starter Deleted member 20471
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20471

After a long search and discussion with Really Right Stuff, I have found a L-plate for the Canon M3!

Mengs have made a plate that I bought from Gumptrade, http://www.gumptrade.com/photography-accessories/camera-quick-release-plate/m3l-l-shaped-camera-quick-release-plate-1-4-screw-for-canon-m3-camera.html?___store=en. After a week from ordering it from Hong Kong, it arrived to Sweden (I used International express).

The fitting is great, I can handle the camera fine with the plate attached, for example open the battery/card compartment, and tilt the screen, without removing the plate.

The finish is not up to Really Right Stuff, but the price is much lower.

Attachments

• IMG_8745-1.jpg
    IMG_8745-1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_8747-1.jpg
    IMG_8747-1.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_8748-1.jpg
    IMG_8748-1.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_8750-1.jpg
    IMG_8750-1.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_8751-1.jpg
    IMG_8751-1.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 658

d

Mar 8, 2015
Hey Nicke,

Thanks for posting this...yesterday I was just thinking about trying to find an L-plate for my M3, so this is a very timely post!

Apart from the finish not being as good as something from RRS, what do you think of the build quality? Is it still nice and rigid - no flex between the "L" and the base? I see that it's a two piece design- does it seem like it's designed to allow the 'L' part to be removed regularly by unscrewing, if you just want to use the base plate, or is it more of a permanent attachment?

Cheers,
d.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 20471

d said:
Apart from the finish not being as good as something from RRS, what do you think of the build quality? Is it still nice and rigid - no flex between the "L" and the base? I see that it's a two piece design- does it seem like it's designed to allow the 'L' part to be removed regularly by unscrewing, if you just want to use the base plate, or is it more of a permanent attachment?

The build quality is not RRS quality, but very good. I do not think it will any problem. It have no flex between the L and base parts. Yes, it is possible to remove the L part and only use the base if wanted.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
Just a little update and observation.

I received one of these brackets this week, ordered from gumptrade.

It arrived without any issues, but one thing I've noticed when attaching it is that the camera doesn't appear to sit level on the bracket. I think the reason is that the manufacturer hasn't accounted for the nubs/feet on the base of the M3 - two on each end, so that when sat down, it is those four points in contact with a flat surface, rather than the entire base of the camera.

Because of the bracket being oversized at the grip end to allow battery compartment access, the two nubs/feet are not in contact with the bracket at all. However at the other end (the 'L' end of the bracket), the two nubs are the contact point with the base, so in effect they raise that end of the the camera a little relative to the base.

Not a big deal, and if you're using the camera on a tripod, you just adjust accordingly to get the camera level, however I took a photo with the camera attached to the bracket sitting on a flat surface and noticed the level indicator showing the body being tilted, despite me having previously calibrated the body on that surface as I know it to be level. When I raised the gripped end slightly, it showed as level.

I might even drill two small depressions into the bracket for the nubs to sit in - hopefully that would rectify the issue, and allow the camera to sit a little more snugly in the bracket.

d.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
The L plate I have for my M3 does not fit my M5 (I have the M3 one from Gumptrade, which I was very satisfied with). I was unable to find a cheapy L plate for the M5 (from Gumptrade or anywhere else) so I bit the bullet and bought the L plate for the M5 from Really Right Stuff. Bonus: Really Right Stuff now is integrating a pin type connector into their new L plates. Great for attaching, for example, a Black Rapid strap.

Upvote 0
dppaskewitz said:
The L plate I have for my M3 does not fit my M5 (I have the M3 one from Gumptrade, which I was very satisfied with). I was unable to find a cheapy L plate for the M5 (from Gumptrade or anywhere else) so I bit the bullet and bought the L plate for the M5 from Really Right Stuff. Bonus: Really Right Stuff now is integrating a pin type connector into their new L plates. Great for attaching, for example, a Black Rapid strap.

Do you maybe have link for that L-bracket for M5 ? having hard time to find some good grip or plate :(

thx

Upvote 0