Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/01/land-of-crazy-not-so-crazy-cr1-5/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/01/land-of-crazy-not-so-crazy-cr1-5/"></a></div>
<p><strong>Maybe not so crazy</strong>

I posted the craziest rumor of the week on Sunday, it didn’t seem at all plausible to me.</p>
<p>One person in particular wrote in saying it may not be that far off. Such a camera was apparently discussed with him/her before Christmas.</p>
<p><strong>Spec List!</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>- New small body FF</li>
<li>- Pro AF (45 point same as Eos 1D MKIV)</li>
<li>- 16.7 MP</li>
<li>- 6 FPS (booster with extra batterygrip up to 9fps)</li>
<li>- ISO 100-12800 (L50 / H102400)</li>
<li>- Single CF slot</li>
<li>- Video as Eos 7D</li>
<li>- Msrp $ 4,399</li>
</ul>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>What I was told was the MSRP was way off, the rest of it was relatively on the mark. A CP+ announcement was unknown, as the source was told it would be announced at the end of February.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III / 1Ds Mark IV</strong>

As most people know, the 5D Mark II completely killed the 1Ds Mark III sales numbers. The same source explains that Canon will move the 5D Mark III into the territory of flagship resolution camera and the 1D Mark IV/V will be the flagship “pro” body. The 1Ds Mark IV will be something completely different, yes, another person saying it.</p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take</strong>

The whole Canon DSLR lineup is due for a big shake up, all of this info points to that. I’m not going to commit to all of this being true, but there’s an awful lot of people saying the same thing.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

K

Keith

Well I would be glad to see Canon re-structure their FF camera lines. I am an amateur enthusiast, but I'd really like the option of a FF body for $1500-1800 (street price). The specs listed here look like they would fit my needs without blowing my budget. With a FF body and limited to 16MP, I hope it will have great low-light performance.

If they start tailoring the 5D series for ultra-megapixel performance, I wonder if this will raise its price.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I really would NOT like a new FF camera with only 16 MP. there's no reason that canon can't get better performance out of 28 MP today in 2011 than they could out of 21 MP back in 2008. as a generalist, I like being able to crop down if I want to since I'm not in the market for a 1D Mark IV, and I don't feel like I should be forced to buy a 7D just for wildlife/sports.

I also don't want something with crap build quality just so we can get it cheap. if the 5DIII were to be built like a rebel, I probably wouldn't buy it. just save my money for glass and then go to whatever the 1D series cam is once my 5DII dies eventually. I've seen cameras hit the floor and survive, and I've seen cameras hit the floor and die. I've seen a T2i croak after being exposed to hard spray. build quality matters.

also, what does "video as 7D" mean? why not "video as current 5DII firmware"? how/why would a FF camera shoot video like a crop camera? if anything, 7D video is weaker than 5DII video as you do not have manual audio gain available, which better be an available feature in the next 5D cam released

so I am firmly thinking/hoping this rumor is total bunk. I want that 5DIII with 28 MP and 19-point AF that was rumored previously

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree; I've seen this "wish list" a thousand times. Nothing but someone wanting a D700 that says "Canon" on it.

I honestly don't want to see lower megapixels in the next 5D. Why go backwards? There is no reason technology shouldn't allow for improvements in other areas while at least keeping the MPs constant, if not increasing.

x-vision said:
16.7 MP ???

Nah. This could have been believable in the summer of 2008. Not in 2011, though.
CR, this 'source' is not reliable :)grin:).

Expect the 5DIII to have the same 30mp (FF) sensor as the 1DV. Price going up too.
The 7DII will be the entry level pro camera for those who don't like the 5DIII price.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

I'm expecting this new model to be a video camera that happens to take very nice still images in ridiculously low light levels. For those who think that 16.7MP isn't enough, the Red Epic $58,000 movie camera only has 14MP in a very oblong APS-H-size sensor, but does 5K raw video and claims 13.5 stops of DR. One of the big complaints about the 5DMk2 and 7D as movie cameras is the absence of raw video output. I would expect this to change.

The 5DMk3 will be the high resolution still camera that also takes video.

Upvote 0
Improve the video, AF, and high ISO noise
Add AF in Video, swivel screen, rack focus, peaking and false color
Improve AWB too

The rest is gravy:

MP can be anywhere from 16 - 28. I prefer staying around 21, files are getting pretty big
Pixel binning awesomeness: include 3 levels 9:1, 4:1, 1:1 for useable digital zoom as well as max high ISO and minimized moire.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Keith said:
kubelik said:
I've seen cameras hit the floor and survive, and I've seen cameras hit the floor and die. I've seen a T2i croak after being exposed to hard spray. build quality matters.

I think the Rebels can hold up better than you do: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/nikon-d90-vs-canon-550d-destruction-test-6481-article

nothing against the digitalrev guys, as I enjoy their videos a lot, and I have seen that video before, but I'll believe what I've seen in my own experience. I'm not the kind that babies my equipment, although I try to take good care of it, but if I'm next to a waterfall I need to know my camera isn't going to get waterlogged from spray. I don't want a 50-50 chance -- that doesn't cut it.

I've respected Canon build quality ever since I first bought a G9 and proceeded to drop it from standing height onto rough stone (accidentally, of course), and nothing happened except a minor surface scratch. I'm 6'1, so that's a long way down. but I have to say, if I were putting money on whether a G9 or a T2i were to survive a given situation ... I'd have my money on the G9.

Bob Howland said:
I'm expecting this new model to be a video camera that happens to take very nice still images in ridiculously low light levels. For those who think that 16.7MP isn't enough, the Red Epic $58,000 movie camera only has 14MP in a very oblong APS-H-size sensor, but does 5K raw video and claims 13.5 stops of DR. One of the big complaints about the 5DMk2 and 7D as movie cameras is the absence of raw video output. I would expect this to change.

the weird part about this is: when is Canon going to bring these kinds of sensors to their video lineup? with Panasonic and Sony and Red all releasing full-featured video cams with large sensor, Canon's flaships still only run 1/3" sensors ... they're really starting to look weak against the competition, all of which is very fairly priced. the new "professional" handycams look kind of sad against Sony's NXCAM system. I think we'll need to see significant improvement here as well, otherwise the 5D series will end up killing off not only the 1DsIII but also Canon's video lineup.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

kubelik said:
Bob Howland said:

the weird part about this is: when is Canon going to bring these kinds of sensors to their video lineup? with Panasonic and Sony and Red all releasing full-featured video cams with large sensor, Canon's flaships still only run 1/3" sensors ... they're really starting to look weak against the competition, all of which is very fairly priced. the new "professional" handycams look kind of sad against Sony's NXCAM system. I think we'll need to see significant improvement here as well, otherwise the 5D series will end up killing off not only the 1DsIII but also Canon's video lineup.

I think you're being a little too hard on Canon. First, the XF100/105/300/305 camcorders include fast wide-range zoom lenses and the lens on the XF300/305 is reportedly excellent (See Luminous Landscape). The lens on the XF100/105 appears to be the same as the one used on the XA10 and $1500 G10 and hasn't been tested. Second, using a larger sensor means that a larger lens will have to be used. I suspect that a 29-527 f/1.6-2.8 lens (the FF equivalent of the XF300/305 lens) would cost and weigh a bunch. Third, so what if the new model hurts sales of the Canon video lineup, so long as the camera that is purchased instead is a Canon and not a Panasonic or Sony?

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Bob Howland said:
I think you're being a little too hard on Canon. First, the XF100/105/300/305 camcorders include fast wide-range zoom lenses and the lens on the XF300/305 is reportedly excellent (See Luminous Landscape). The lens on the XF100/105 appears to be the same as the one used on the XA10 and $1500 G10 and hasn't been tested. Second, using a larger sensor means that a larger lens will have to be used. I suspect that a 29-527 f/1.6-2.8 lens (the FF equivalent of the XF300/305 lens) would cost and weigh a bunch. Third, so what if the new model hurts sales of the Canon video lineup, so long as the camera that is purchased instead is a Canon and not a Panasonic or Sony?

bob, good points; although I think if you had a larger sensor format you wouldn't need f/1.6 on a zoom lens like that. you didn't say it explicitly but I realize you're also pointing out that these are used for different purposes; a newsman needs to have that zoom range and doesn't need/want ridiculous DOF effects, while the camera I'm talking about would be more of something that would intrigue a filmmaker. still, I'm sure canon is toiling away on some new large-sensor video-dedicated cam; to not be examining that right now would put them pretty far behind the curve

Upvote 0
Small Body?

I can't work with a small body. I am not a tourist nor do video with the camera and I shoot vertical all the time. Why can't they have 2 different versions of the camera: A normal one and a Pro model with a built-in grip? Those plastic crappy grips for 5D's, 7D's etc., really suck. They are not well made, the materials are not the same as the camera, and having to use 2 batteries is stupid.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

You've never touched one of the battery grips have you?

Mag-body-(9).jpg

Looks just the same Magnesium Alloy to me!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Justin said:
Nature shooters would welcome the extra depth of field at wide apertures, but would loose reach and without a nice big sensor from which to crop, would lose the power of crop in PP.

As a FF camera, it would have shallower DoF (not deeper) than a crop body, for a shot with equivalent framing. That has nothing to do with megapixels, only the size of the sensor. It's why cheap P&S cameras have nearly infinite DoF even 'wide open', and why portrait photographers want as large a sensor as they can afford...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.