Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Steve Dmark2 said:
Hello Guys,

I am stunned by the number of your helpfull replies :eek:
Thank you very very much!
This is what I want to do.

[list type=decimal]
[*]I want to go practising on Saturday with my current kit. 7Dmk2, 17-50 Sigma and my old Canon zoom 90-300 4.5-5.6 USM from my EOS 300V ;)
I know between 50 and 90 is a gap, but i can crop there a little bit.
[*]Comming down with that practise i gonna decide, wether i will order also the 10-18 STM.
[*]What i got is a solid tripod. I order for sure: A set of three ND filter. (because i also want to film a little bit.)
A infra-red remote release, a step down ring from 77mm to 58mm and a circular polarizer filter.
[/list]

Thanks again for your support. I will share results with you second half of next year! :)

Cheers,

Steve

A solid plan. Have a great trip!

- A

Upvote 0
Thank you Ashford,

btw, when is a filter called slim?
Can I stack two filters when i use the 17-50 or then the 10-18?
Will I have serious vigneting?

Is there a rule of thump?
I want to order this package:

Attachments

• 2016-12-06 21_08_58-walimex pro Graufilter Komplett Set 77 mm - Walimex - Shop – Opera.jpg
    2016-12-06 21_08_58-walimex pro Graufilter Komplett Set 77 mm - Walimex - Shop – Opera.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Steve Dmark2 said:
Thank you Ashford,

Sorry, Steve, I don't stack screw-in filters like those. When I need more than one filter at once, I switch to a filter holder system because I shoot wide focal lengths (16mm FF or 10mm crop) and stacking screw-in filters with wider focal lengths will absolutely vignette in that situation.

So someone else on this thread will have to answer you. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that your 17-50mm lens on crop should be okay to stack two filters at 17mm. But the 10-18 lens you are picking up will likely be a problem. You said you are using a step-up ring so the 77mm filters will 'get out of the way' of the 67mm 10-18 lens filter ring. But if that step-up ring may occlude the corners of your FOV, especially down towards 10mm.

I'm not aware of a rule of thumb as each lens has it's own relationship between the filter ring diameter to front lens element spacing, which makes this a lens by lens problem to consider.

Thread readers with crop UWA filter stacking experience: any thoughts?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Steve Dmark2 said:
So IF I choose to get the uwa, I will get the filters first, go to a photo Store and ask if i can try the filters on the 10-18 stm. Thx again ;)

Oh, if you are near a proper camera store and can physically try everything out before buying it, that's 100% the way to go. Just hook everything together in your 'most stacked' condition, set the lens for 10mm and shoot a white wall and see if your corners darken.

- A

Upvote 0
Steve Dmark2 said:
Thank you Ashford,

A "slim" screw in filter usually doesn't have a thread on the other side, so you can't stack another filter on it.
If you are worried about vignetting, use 82mm filters and then use a step down ring to your lens. With the increased filter diameter, you should be able to stack 2-3 filters without any vignetting.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
GMCPhotographics said:
A "slim" screw in filter usually doesn't have a thread on the other side, so you can't stack another filter on it.
If you are worried about vignetting, use 82mm filters and then use a step down ring to your lens. With the increased filter diameter, you should be able to stack 2-3 filters without any vignetting.

GMC, he's basically got that with his plan for a 77mm filter set for the 17-50 + stepdown ring for the 10-18's 67mm filter ring.

But the stepdown ring itself has thickness and may give him some grief at 10mm. I'm not familiar with stepdown designs as I don't personally use them, but if any metal projects straight out in the direction of the axis of the lens at the 67mm diameter before widening to 77mm, it very well could vignette at 10mm. His trial and error approach in the store will obviously catch that, so he should be all set.

- A

Upvote 0
Steve Dmark2 said:
I will do the testing and let you know the results. Thx again.

I decided to skip the 10-18mm. I got myself this filterset "WP-H3H0-25" from Cokin and it workes very well with my 17-50, alone...
When i also put my circular polarizer as first element and then the filter holder second element i get BIG vignetting.
So for landscape I chose my 18-55mm STM. Because of smaller front element and smaller filter thread i get no vignetting with my screw on Polarizor and the filter holder.

When it comes to big vistas (Hoover Damn, Grand Canyon, Horse Shoe Bend...) I will make Panoramas.
The software of my choise is the free ICE from Microsoft.

Thats it for now. I don't change my gear before vacation in August. I will post some pics after that.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Steve Dmark2,
For remote, I'd choose a wireless (RF) remote shutter release over an infrared unit. The latter requires a line of sight, usually near the front of the camera, to work, whereas the RF units are omnidirectional and can work at a longer distance.
A number of brands make RF shutter releases, eg., Hahnel, Phottix, etc., at a fairly reasonable price. Check them out.
And some units even can double as a flash trigger for off camera non-TTL speedlight, too.
-r

Upvote 0