Landscape/ Scenery-My First HDR.

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
The Pilot Mountain, Surry County, North Carolina, USA.
Canon EOS 5D SR, 50.6 MP, Canon Tilt and Shift Lens TS-E 24 MM. F/ 3.5 L MK II, B+W Kaesemann XS-PRO Cir. PL. MRC NANO Filter, on tripods. with Wireless shutter remote control
F= 16.0, SS = 1/160 sec, ISO = 100 = -2,-1, 0, +1, +2 HDR (High-dynamic-range imaging) by Photoshop 5.5
This is my first HDR Photo in my life, I need to learn more and more.

Attachments

• HDR-PILOT-MOUNTAIN.jpg
    HDR-PILOT-MOUNTAIN.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 337
  • a-20.jpg
    a-20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 290
Mar 1, 2012
Dear Friend Surapon,
You've been away long and have been missed.

Here's a link to an HDR Instructable
http://www.instructables.com/id/HDR-photos-with-the-GIMP/?ALLSTEPS
Author used GIMP, similar steps should apply in any program that works with layers such as Photoshop.

Open the middle exposure as a layer.

Add the under-exposed frame as a layer, I suggest a duplicate of this layer to work with
De-saturate this layer for use as a shadow mask. If you work on a duplicate at this step, Described in detail in 'Steps 5, 6 and 7", you can have multiples of this shadow mask, each with it's own adjustments, toggle between them until you've found the combination that pleases your eye.

Add the underexposed frame in the same manner including duplication, an additional step around the de-saturation stage is to 'Invert' or convert to a negative, you remember those.
This part is in Steps 8 and 9.

This is one of those things tedious to describe but a breeze to do once you get through it once or twice.
With minimal practice you could go from start to start printing in as little as two minutes.

Try this or some other manual method, compare to automated results, choose your preference.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon. I missed his regular participation in Canonrumors. :)

The first photo is beautiful, but the color saturation seems somewhat exaggerated, with an aspect of "acrylic on canvas". I never got a natural look in HDR, and always needed to desaturate the image to the end of the process.

Thank you, Sir, Dear friend ajfotofilmagem.
Yes, I agree with you 120%, I must try to learn HDR methods, Or Never use them again.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Click said:
I agree with ajfotofilmagem, saturation seems somewhat exaggerated.

Dear Friend Mr. Click.
Thank you, Sir, I think, After I get this new Baby, EOS 5D SR, I must learn how to use this new Babe again and again.
Nice to talk to you, Sir----Long time NO SEE.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
jwilbern said:
Try this for a more natural look.
http://www.glennrandall.com/adobe-s-secret-gift-to-hdr-users.html
http://www.glennrandall.com/lightroom-cc.html

THANK YOU, SIR, dear friend Jwilbern.
I will learn from your great link---Again and Again.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
tolusina said:
Dear Friend Surapon,
You've been away long and have been missed.

Here's a link to an HDR Instructable
http://www.instructables.com/id/HDR-photos-with-the-GIMP/?ALLSTEPS
Author used GIMP, similar steps should apply in any program that works with layers such as Photoshop.

Open the middle exposure as a layer.

Add the under-exposed frame as a layer, I suggest a duplicate of this layer to work with
De-saturate this layer for use as a shadow mask. If you work on a duplicate at this step, Described in detail in 'Steps 5, 6 and 7", you can have multiples of this shadow mask, each with it's own adjustments, toggle between them until you've found the combination that pleases your eye.

Add the underexposed frame in the same manner including duplication, an additional step around the de-saturation stage is to 'Invert' or convert to a negative, you remember those.
This part is in Steps 8 and 9.

This is one of those things tedious to describe but a breeze to do once you get through it once or twice.
With minimal practice you could go from start to start printing in as little as two minutes.

Try this or some other manual method, compare to automated results, choose your preference.

Thousand Thanks, Sir, Dear friend tolusina.
I have learn a lot form you, and our friends to day. Yes, Sir, I will try harder , and learn my new classes HDR class.
Have a great/ Happy Thanksgiving day.

Upvote 0
alexthegreek said:
Isn't Surapon the best character in here?Hm?Dear Sir/Madame?
Surapon was a frequent contributor in Canonrumors few years ago. He shared his experiments with home made lighting equipment, macro, mechanical stabilization, etc. In recent months he was a little gone.

Eventually he makes some extremely sincere questions, leaving some CoR members wondering if it's just a character. After many posts, I'm sure it's a real person who loves photography, and treats his colleagues with deep respect. Typical of asian origin citizens.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mr Surapon.
It is good to see you back here after such a long absence, as for your photo, a beautiful subject but as you freely admit there are issues which you understand and will no doubt master, I have tried HDR and lack the perseverance to achieve even as good as yours, it is difficult and time consuming.
As for the wrong place, you posted landscape pictures in a landscape forum why is it wrong, just because it has a choice of subjects, I don't think so.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
alexthegreek said:

Dear friend, Mr. alexthegreek.
Well, Atleast , I come back after 3 solid months That I miss this Great Web site, Great Friends and Great Teachers. , YES, I so Busy at my Business in the Office Plus have a Travel Vacation to many place in USA. Yes, Sir After Live 66+ year in this beautiful world, And 41 years in this great/ beautiful country USA. I think, I will retire very soon, and Change the Job from Busy Architect to be Happy Photographer.
Good day, Sir.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
alexthegreek said:
Surapon was a frequent contributor in Canonrumors few years ago. He shared his experiments with home made lighting equipment, macro, mechanical stabilization, etc. In recent months he was a little gone.

Eventually he makes some extremely sincere questions, leaving some CoR members wondering if it's just a character. After many posts, I'm sure it's a real person who loves photography, and treats his colleagues with deep respect. Typical of asian origin citizens.

Thousand Thanks, Sir, Dear great teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem.
Nice to talk with you again, After Busy in Business and Busy in Taveling around USA.---No, Not Retire Yet ( After 66 Years young, 41 years in USA.), But I will relax from my work in my office as Architect---- Do small projects, and More Photography+ Traveling, Sir.
Yes, I will be back to CR as best as I can, because I miss all of my dear friends and dear Great Teachers, include Mr.Mt Spokane Photography, and Mr. neuroanatomist ------ETC.
Good days, Sir.

Upvote 0