Laptop's Graphic Settings during Lightroom

Dec 17, 2012
Until Now I still can not grasp the concept behind computer graphic.

When doing LR cropping and centering. I find graphic lagging so I went to nvidia control panel, and set such that when lightroom program is use, force use dedicated graphic card instead of integrated one.

When I select dedicated graphic card for lightroom. image lagging reduced!

To the expert, do you know about this? what do you recommend?

In normal scenario, windows makes the decision when to use dedicated graphic card, is this true?

Thank you.

eninja said:
Until Now I still can not grasp the concept behind computer graphic.

When doing LR cropping and centering. I find graphic lagging so I went to nvidia control panel, and set such that when lightroom program is use, force use dedicated graphic card instead of integrated one.

In normal scenario, windows makes the decision when to use dedicated graphic card, is this true?

Thank you.

Laptops will sometimes (often?) use the gpu on the cpu as it lowers battery consumption, and therefore the dedicated GPU is bypassed. For many scenarios this is good enough. For intensive graphics, if you have a dedicated GPU and if you are not worried by battery use (mains power), then enable it for LR, PS etc.

Some laptops even allow you to "permanently" disable the integrated GPU and always use the dedicated GPU but of course at the expense of battery life...

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
eninja said:

If your laptop has a dual GPU, usually the integrated one (I guess some Intel or AMD model), is usually far less performing than the dedicated one. If it isn't switched automatically, enabling it manually makes sense. Why it doesn't switch automatically may depend on BIOS settings, drivers, AC power present or not (it may be bound to power settings) - you should check your laptop documentation or support site.

Upvote 0