Last second (selfie) focusing on self timer- how to do with electronic focus??

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014
I should know this but I don't. How do you get Canon body (in this case 5DSr) to focus at the last second if you want to run around to the front of the camera for a passport portrait (or other selfie) with the shutter release on 10 second delay? (2 off camera speedlite flashes used). What I'm doing, it focuses on the background, then I'm out of focus when the shutter releases. If I use "Live View" the flashes don't flash. So I just did it manually, but that's not spot on, and there should be (??) a proper way do do it with electronic focus. Right?
I'm an idiot... I know. :(

Jul 21, 2010
Re: Last second focus on self timer- how???

I believe the timer will always focus at shutter press (if you have AF on the shutter button), before the timer starts. If you use a remote trigger (wired or wireless) with AF on the shutter button, it will focus when you press the remote button. I think Canon's IR triggers work with the 5DsR (they don't with the 1-series).

So, manually prefocus the lens (on a chair, stepladder, whatever). With flash, use f/11 and you should be in the DoF even if focus isn't perfect.

Incidentally, for Live View try disabling the live view silent shooting, then the flashes should fire.

Upvote 0

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014
Thank you!
Yes, I have it silent shooting. Very perceptive. :)))
Too bad about the immediate shutter focus. They should have a last second focus feature on self-timer. Kinda like second curtain flash in a way. I guess I'll have to carry around a potted plastic palm tree with me on my one man trips to get proper selfie focus in front of the (XYZ) tourist vistas. :eek:

Okay, I'll order a remote release, too. Just saw this. Thank you, also!

Upvote 0
LovePhotography said:
Thank you!
Yes, I have it silent shooting. Very perceptive. :)))
Too bad about the immediate shutter focus. They should have a last second focus feature on self-timer. Kinda like second curtain flash in a way. I guess I'll have to carry around a potted plastic palm tree with me on my one man trips to get proper selfie focus in front of the (XYZ) tourist vistas. :eek:

Okay, I'll order a remote release, too. Just saw this. Thank you, also!
For travel, it is certainly more convenient to use a remote control. I like trigger the camera using a Yongnuo RF603, who works for radio frequency, and does not suffer from infrared problems in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Re: Last second focus on self timer- how???

neuroanatomist said:
Incidentally, for Live View try disabling the live view silent shooting, then the flashes should fire.

That one got me the first time. I get the setting, just never understood why that was the default.

For me, I've always enjoyed BBF, and that throws a whole wrench into the situation as it doesn't focus at all when you remote shutter with the RC-6 remote, etc. It would be nice if BBF was a simple on/off setting but unfortunately you got to dig down into the button configuration and I prefer to not go messing around in there.

I'm not familiar with the 5Ds(r) settings/menu. But the M and the 70D both had a continuous focus setting that could be turned on in live view. Combine that with the face detection and that is one way to get focus on one's self. The M has been more hit and miss. But the 70D with the DPAF was perfect for that. Unfortunately I no longer have the 70D and the 6D does not work very well for this area.

Who wants to see pics of my ugly mug is my feeling 90% of the time, but once in a while I'm interested in a shot and yet it seems like self portrait is more difficult then it should be on many Canon bodies.

Upvote 0