Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The first image and specifications for the Canon EOS M50 have leaked out.</p>
<p>I noticed a few things about this release that really caught my eye.</p>
<ol>
<li>A new RAW format? I wonder what .CR3 is going to bring us.</li>
<li>DIGIC 8 already? Canon must have made a breakthrough in processing speeds.</li>
<li>New generation sensor? The EOS M50 sensor is 24.1mp, the previous APS-C sensor from Canon is 24.2mp</li>
</ol>
<p><strong>EOS M50 Specifications:</strong> (Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS (New sensor? EOS M5 is 24.2mp)</li>
<li>Dual pixel CMOS AF</li>
<li>DIGIC 8</li>
<li>4K Video</li>
<li>Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)</li>
<li>Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)</li>
<li>EVF: 2.36 million dot organic EL</li>
<li>3 type 104 million dots Bali angle touch panel liquid crystal</li>
<li>Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed</li>
<li>Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
<ul>
<li>The C-RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Development and digital lens optimizer</li>
<li>The body is available in black or white</li>
<li>Preorders start on February 27, 2018</li>
<li>Pricing? We’ve been told it’s around the current EOS M6 prices.</li>
<li>This is not a camera above the EOS M5.</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Aren't these specifications a bit superior to the EOS M5? What's the catch (presumably, fewer control points, polycarbonate body and no weather 'sealing')?

Still, if this is true and the price is reasonably lower than the EOS M5's current street price (i.e. not just $75), it would be a bit of a steal and a very positive sign that Canon is serious about both mirrorless and solidly competitive specifications across the range.

Upvote 0
Looks like a fine camera, but personally I don't care about 4K video or slightly enhanced servo stills shooting speed. Smaller RAW is nice, I guess, but mostly I shoot JPEG anyway. Not sure why the size of a raw file has any logical relation to the size of the camera?

So not sure why I would update from my M5. Wish it was weather resistant.

And where are the decent EF-M prime lenses (buzz buzz)? IMHO that's what the system really needs, and has needed for quite a while now.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
The first image and specifications for the Canon EOS M50 have leaked out.

it will be interesting to see the rest of the images, specifically of the back side and top.

it appears that canon has adjusted the ergonomics for this to be a video -> stills versus a stills-> video bolt on if you note the location of the record button.

with what appears to be lower level ergonomics this sits kind of under an M6 in terms of ergonomic functionality however with an included EVF and variable angle display for video.

of course the big news is possibly DIGIC 8 bringing hopefully efficient 4k video to Canon ILC's. it has to be more efficient than the 5D Mark IV etc simply because it's SD card.

My guess is that they released this to get the EF-M line up to include 4k after Fuji seems to be doing great things in that market, and more than one whisper said that Canon / Nikon are more worried about Fuji than Sony.

Why it's not the M5 Mark II? probably because it' *only* has really minor updates from the M5 outside of video and CR3 format, and no new sensor generation.

If a new sensor generation is coming out this year, it makes sense to hold off the M5 update, IMO.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
bdbender4 said:
Looks like a fine camera, but personally I don't care about 4K video or slightly enhanced servo stills shooting speed. Smaller RAW is nice, I guess, but mostly I shoot JPEG anyway. Not sure why the size of a raw file has any logical relation to the size of the camera?

And where are the decent EF-M prime lenses (buzz buzz)? IMHO that's what the system really needs, and has needed for quite a while now.

This isn't above the EOS M5, it'll be priced around the current EOS M6 prices I think.

A new prime is coming in September for Photokina.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:
The first image and specifications for the Canon EOS M50 have leaked out.

it will be interesting to see the rest of the images, specifically of the back side and top.

it appears that canon has adjusted the ergonomics for this to be a video -> stills versus a stills-> video bolt on if you note the location of the record button.

with what appears to be lower level ergonomics this sits kind of under an M6 in terms of ergonomic functionality however with an included EVF and variable angle display for video.

of course the big news is possibly DIGIC 8 bringing hopefully efficient 4k video to Canon ILC's. it has to be more efficient than the 5D Mark IV etc simply because it's SD card.

My guess is that they released this to get the EF-M line up to include 4k after Fuji seems to be doing great things in that market, and more than one whisper said that Canon / Nikon are more worried about Fuji than Sony.

Why it's not the M5 Mark II? probably because it' *only* has really minor updates from the M5 outside of video and CR3 format, and no new sensor generation.

If a new sensor generation is coming out this year, it makes sense to hold off the M5 update, IMO.

I think this is a new sensor, 24.1mp vs 24.2.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
bdbender4 said:

This isn't above the EOS M5, it'll be priced around the current EOS M6 prices I think.

If this spec'd camera is around $800, I think this is a promising sign going forward for Canon. Really interested to see how much of a change .CR3 and C-RAW is.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
H. Jones said:
Canon Rumors said:
bdbender4 said:

If this spec'd camera is around $800, I think this is a promising sign going forward for Canon. Really interested to see how much of a change .CR3 and C-RAW is.

I wonder if the CR3 format is to bring out the data from both sides of the dual-pixel design?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The Digic 8 with a rate of about 240Mpixel/sec (24.1 X 10) brings the same rate of a Dual Digic 6. See 5Dsr with Dual Digic 6 having a rate of 50.1mp X 5fps ~ 250Mpixel/sec.

Encouraging for the processing speed of future cameras that may even have a Digic 8+, Dual Digic 8 or Dual Digic 8+

I mention these because I hope for a much faster 5DsRMkII (although if pushed to 60Mp I expect it to be around 6fps) and 5DMkV (OK that will take too long and maybe it will have a single Digic 9+ ;D ;D ;D )

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
mclaren777 said:
CR3 RAW format is the single most fascinating thing about this camera.

I agree.

CR2 has been slowly evolving with minor changes forever.... To go to a new format must mean a big change, and the two things that come to mind is that it must be either be related to dual pixel technology, or it means that the RAW files have gone from 14 to 16 bit..... or possibly both!

If it is for 16 bits, then it would imply a significant jump in DR...... possibly through different gains on each half of a dual-pixel site....

most interesting, most interesting indeed!

Upvote 0
If it has some manual focus helpers via the EVF a really interesting option to use my FD lenses and the 2.8 35 macro lens for the Canon bellows.
4k is not too interesting for me but if 30 fps 4k video with DIGIC 8 leads to a 120 fps mode for 2k and 240 fps mode for 1.3 k a really interesting camera (just dreaming).

AvTvM: Your remark about uglyness: If the goodies inside the camera deliver and it is at least ergonomically usable I will consider using it. And if noone is interested in stealing an ugly camera, uglyness is welcome.

Upvote 0