Leaked photos of new RF lenses

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Because of that Mag ratio has taken a hit, lets wait to find out specs of that RF 100-500mm and how it compares to EF 100-400mm lens.
The EF 300 2.8 wasn't bad but my 400 DO requires an extension tube for nice bug shots or shooting close in a blind with a set up, and I don't like that.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The EF 300 2.8 wasn't bad but my 400 DO requires an extension tube for nice bug shots or shooting close in a blind with a set up, and I don't like that.

Jack
I used EF 100-400mm II for skittish lizards(skinks and agamids) and some large butterflies which only fly in canopy. It was a perfect balance for telezoom and pseudo-macro. Both 300mm f2.8 and 400mm DO are too expensive and given I dont shoot birds just too limited use for me. I can see how 4.5m and 6m can be limiting for shooting from hides.

Those zooms look like old school telescopes. It's pirate glass. Nice, the 85 is only an inch longer than the 35 and a half pound heavier. I'm a bit disappointed with the .5x mag though. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Both those lenses are primes not zooms. .5x on 85mm lens is quite a decent mag ratio for its target audience of wedding and portrait shooters.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Wow, super smart on Canon's part to make the supertelephotos collapsible. Surprised no one else has done that for mirrorless supertelephotos. Really interested to see the price on these, it would be wild if Canon could keep the price under $1000, at least for the 600. Even the tripod ring seems very barebones, and the lenses themselves seem even more plastic than the 85mm, which makes me feel like these are going to be cheaper than we expect.

All that said, if the price isn't too much higher than the 35mm f/1.8 at launch, that 85mm f/2 IS is getting pre-ordered with the R5. Looks super nice and compact. I could see myself keeping the R5, RF 35 f/1.8, and RF 85 f/2 on me in a small bag whenever I'm going somewhere without the intention to take pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Nokishita has the specs for the 100-500: 0.33x magnification at 500mm!
Thats quite respectable, will be looking for reviews of that lens..
I stand corrected about the primes. May I ask how you know who the target audience for the 85 is?
Same group of photographers who used EF 85mm f1.8 ie Wedding and Portraits. Especially useful for wedding shooters as they wont have to carry separate macro lens.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hm. Pricing on that 85mm will be interesting. It retains the size of the Old EF 85 mm 1.8 (once you account for the flange distance difference) while adding weight. I guess it is going to be a serious improvement in terms of optics. What ever it takes to get rid of that horrible fringing.

Also glad to see the teles do indeed have IS. The collapse makes them look fairly silly, but I get looks when I'm about with the 150-600 C anyway. So I guess being able to transport them in regular bags is worth some cosmetic compromises :ROFLMAO: I wonder how they make sure the lenses are extended to the right length before use.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hm. Pricing on that 85mm will be interesting. It retains the size of the Old EF 85 mm 1.8 (once you account for the flange distance difference) while adding weight. I guess it is going to be a serious improvement in terms of optics. What ever it takes to get rid of that horrible fringing.

Also glad to see the teles do indeed have IS. The collapse makes them look fairly silly, but I get looks when I'm about with the 150-600 C anyway. So I guess being able to transport them in regular bags is worth some cosmetic compromises :ROFLMAO: I wonder how they make sure the lenses are extended to the right length before use.

I wonder if they fit in a water bottle pocket :)

Upvote 0