Leica Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400mm f/5-6.3 vs Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ePhotozine has just reviewed the Leica 100-400mm https://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica-vario-elmar-sl-100-400mm-f-5-6-3-lens-review-36495 and I thought it would be interesting to compare it with their review of the RF 100-400mm https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-rf-100-400mm-f-5-6-8-is-usm-lens-review-36026
Price in the UK: Leica 3x (£1970 vs £645).
Weight: Leica 2.5x (1.620 kg vs 635g, more than the RF 100-500mm).
MTF 400mm f/8: Leica circa 0.5x - see my replots of the ePhotozine data. The Leica is on the 24 Mpx SL2-S, and the Canon on the 20 Mpx R6.
The Leica has high water resistance, but is totally killed by the Canon for resolution, price and weight. It is even described as being clumsy to use because of its weight, and will break the lens or your tiles if dropped! I can't believe they rate it 4 stars and recommended.

LeicavsCanon100-400mm.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Isn't that "Leica" actually rebadged facelifted Sigma?
They are both 16 groups and 22 elements so it would appear that they have remounted the glass in an aluminium block, doubled the weight and the price. The Sigma lens appears to be much better, however, both on the TDP site charts and in opticallimits tests https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1131-sigma100400f563dn so what has Leica done to it to make it so pathetic?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
When in the past, Leica reused Sigma or Minolta lenses, the usually succeded in improving them quite visibly. A much better mount (also the case here), and narrower tolerances in installing the lenses, sometimes even using different glass types.
What happened here, I do not know. The result is not convincing at all. Whether the Leigma is indeed worse than the Sigma, I have my doubts. What I know, is that I'd never ever buy this lens.
In Leica SL times, you still could adapt a wonderful 100-400 using a Novoflex adapter, I mean of course the EF II L... You only lost OS. With SL2 or SLs, it has become impossible (no working electronic transmission). So, you cannot even use canon's TSE lenses...No TS lenses in the L lens range.
The SL2 is a nice camera, nicer than the R5? I'd say no, despite being a longtime Leica user. But the real Leica SL lenses (Apo!) are absolutely great. Are they worth their price???
Edit: according to some users, it seems you can use the TS-E lenses on the SL 2, using the specific (EF-L) Sigma adapter.
Most EF AF lenses yet, perform quite erratically on the SL 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Other reviews come to a different conclusion.
According to them, the Leica 100-400 has been visibly improved, compared to the Sigma original.
It's always better not to rely on one single review...
Anyway, I didn't buy Leicas to fit them with Sigmas...
You don't buy Leica for the SLs, EOS Rs are far more advanced. You buy Leica for the lenses.
As much as I liked using the Leicaflex SLs, the only real SLs, I quit the system for the Canon SLRs. More interesting and affordable lenses, and better digital bodies.
But stayed with the Leica M, for the lenses AND the bodies.
If only Canon made a camera with "M" mount...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Other reviews come to a different conclusion.
According to them, the Leica 100-400 has been visibly improved, compared to the Sigma original.
It's always better not to rely on one single review...
Anyway, I didn't buy Leicas to fit them with Sigmas...
You don't buy Leica for the SLs, EOS Rs are far more advanced. You buy Leica for the lenses.
As much as I liked using the Leicaflex SLs, the only real SLs, I quit the system for the Canon SLRs. More interesting and affordable lenses, and better digital bodies.
But stayed with the Leica M, for the lenses AND the bodies.
If only Canon made a camera with "M" mount...
Nice last sentence

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Nice last sentence
I wrote it because I'm convinced Leica M cameras have reached an insane level of pricing, no longer matched by an equal reliability.
If I spend about $9000 on an M11 naked body, I expect the reliability of an M3 :love:single or doublestroke.
The M11, despite being a fantastic instrument, is miles away from it. If you read the complaints about the (sometimes!) need to carry a pocket knife to lift the ISO wheel so you can change the value, that's where the fun ends. I could also mention the freezing issues, the more than lame repair department (4 months), its legendary bills etc...
So, I believe that a Canon body might be less glamorous for the collectors, but certainly represent a better value and, hopefully, better reliability. And the fabulous M lenses could still be used.
PS: The Leica Q3 is a great camera and, in my opinion, priced adequately.
PPS: What I wrote about reliability isn't valid for the Leica M240. Not a single issue in 8 years, and I used and abused it...
PPPS: Canon, if you don't produce an M lens compatible camera, I might, perhaps, someday, if I find the time, jump ship.

Upvote 0