Lens correction in DPP4

Hi
I'm having trouble understanding lens correction in DPP4. I do NOT have in-camera lens correction enabled in my 6D. In DPP4 I have downloaded data for all my lenses. When I open an image in DPP4 the tools palette shows Digital Lens Optimizer and Chromatic Aberration available to select. But Diffraction Aberration is greyed out. More puzzling is that there is NO choice for Peripheral Illumination. It isn't on the menu at all.

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Jaysheldon said:
Hi
I'm having trouble understanding lens correction in DPP4. I do NOT have in-camera lens correction enabled in my 6D. In DPP4 I have downloaded data for all my lenses. When I open an image in DPP4 the tools palette shows Digital Lens Optimizer and Chromatic Aberration available to select. But Diffraction Aberration is greyed out. More puzzling is that there is NO choice for Peripheral Illumination. It isn't on the menu at all.

The lens correction is to allow one to chose the amount of CA correction from Canon's lens data or to be able to manipulate this manually with sliders.

The Peripheral Illumination slider should be a little further down near the Distortion slider.

Brian

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Jaysheldon said:
Hi

If you check DLO, then the other options are grayed out, since DLO includes them. Uncheck DLO and you can make manual adjustments instead of automatic.

Upvote 0
Very curious. I shut DDP, went away for a few hours and loaded it up again, and now all of the menu items are there. Perhaps I ran DLO, then unchecked it? After unchecking it perhaps Distortion and Peripheral Illumination don't appear because it doesn't reverse those changes?
The other think I just noticed is inconsistent application of the Lens Data catalogue button. On some images in the same group it says "Lens data not available"; on other it is. I should report that as a bug.

I'm running v 4.6.10

How do I report bugs?
CORRECTION: The images that say "Lens data not available" are the edited JPGs. The RAW images show the right indication.

I'm going back film.....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jaysheldon said:
Very curious. I shut DDP, went away for a few hours and loaded it up again, and now all of the menu items are there. Perhaps I ran DLO, then unchecked it? After unchecking it perhaps Distortion and Peripheral Illumination don't appear because it doesn't reverse those changes?
The other think I just noticed is inconsistent application of the Lens Data catalogue button. On some images in the same group it says "Lens data not available"; on other it is. I should report that as a bug.

I'm running v 4.6.10

How do I report bugs?
CORRECTION: The images that say "Lens data not available" are the edited JPGs. The RAW images show the right indication.

I'm going back film.....

Yeah, I don't think you can apply lens corrections in JPEG. I could be wrong. It's much the same thing in Photoshop ACR: you can open up the Camera Raw Filter, and there's a Lens Corrections tab, but it doesn't have the lens data or the lens data correction options. Nor can you do things like apply Xrite color correction profiles.

Upvote 0