Lens Decision Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, long time follower first time poster :D. I am having a bit of trouble in making a decision on which lens to buy with my 5d2 purchase. Keep in mind I want to keep prices under 3k.

For a while I have been doing quite a bit of headshot photography with my 85mm 1.8(Love it) on my APS-C. As of late the demand for family photos have gone way up for me. 85mm is way to tight(especially on crop) for groups. I will definitely be keeping my 85 for individuals and I know my focal length will widen a little(I am assuming not enough for more than 2 subjects) but I am wondering if I should pick up the 50 1.4 or get the kit 24-105.

If I get the 5d2 body for around $2200 and the 50 1.4 for about $350 the total($2550) is only a couple hundred short of the price if I were to buy the full kit. So I guess really, I am trying to just get a little more insight on what would suit me best.

(PS. I generally shoot outside so the low light capabilities aren's too hight on the priority list)

Thanks

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
norcalniner said:
Yeah I will be using it for more than just portraits. I suspected that would be the way to go. From what I have seen, the 24-105 looks to be a great choice.

Thanks for the advice!

After picking up the kit, if it turns out you'd rather have a fast 50 (or anything else for that matter) instead, you can always turn it around and sell it on ebay. I recently sold the 24-105 kit lens that was bundled with my 5D classic for $870 a few months ago.

Upvote 0
BL said:
After picking up the kit, if it turns out you'd rather have a fast 50 (or anything else for that matter) instead, you can always turn it around and sell it on ebay. I recently sold the 24-105 kit lens that was bundled with my 5D classic for $870 a few months ago.
Good call.. its not like I cant save for the 50 1.4 quickly anyways. I might as well take advantage of the deal at hand.

Upvote 0
G

ghosh9691

norcalniner said:
BL said:
Good call.. its not like I cant save for the 50 1.4 quickly anyways. I might as well take advantage of the deal at hand.

I use just the 24-105 f/4L and the 50 f/1.4...and I guess most of my usage is covered with those two lenses. I have not really felt the need to go for a longer focal length - maybe when I do wildlife... till then, my Nike zoom works wonders :)

Upvote 0
S

stevevihon

Since you shoot mainly outdoors and are not concerned with low light, you will enjoy the 24-105. One thought -- do you live in a major metro area where you would be able to rent the lens for a weekend? Many local photo retailers that rent equipment will let you pick up the lens on a Friday afternoon and return it on Monday. This way you will be able to see how you like the lens versus guessing. (lensrental.com is also a great option -- just a bit more to invest $$ to rent since they do four or seven day rentals instead of a single day).

I am also a recent 5D MkII owner and am still shopping for lenses. I shoot more inside in low light, so I am passing on the 24-105. But, I did actually rent the lens yesterday to take photos and shoot video of my daughter's pre-school football game. I have found that renting a number of lenses has been helpful to determining what will meet my lens needs now and what to save up for in the future.

Another plus with the 24-105 is the IS which will help when shooting video. Based on what you described, this sounds like a good fit for your needs.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2011
I have taken outdoor family photos with my 5D2 and 85mm f/1.8. The camera had to be 80 feet away or something, but it turns out really well.

Last month I used a 50mm indoors to take a family photo of 6 of us, and the camera was about 12 feet away.

I think the 24-105mm would work for you. It would be the lightest, within your budget, and easiest solution. (And then you can save up for a 14mm or 17mm TS-E to get great ultra wide angle shots ;) )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.