Lens upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanonCameraFan

I've just taken the plunge and bought a secondhand 24-105L to replace my secondhand 28-135mm. Have I done the right thing? As I'm waiting for the L to arrive at the beginning of the week I'm wondering just how much better is the L than the 28-135? Suppose I'm looking for reassurance really. I've read loads of reviews, forum posts (here and elsewhere) and anything else I could find about both lenses and have come to the conclusion that for 100 posts there will be 100 different opinions! I am most concerned about the upgrade of the optical quality since my camera body isn't weather sealed having a weather sealed lens seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury. I've only tried out the L in Jessops so haven't had much experience of it though everyone raves about it. Replacing the lens with one of similar length seemed the best thing as the 28-135 was a good choice. I don't tend to shoot wide (landscapes etc) so even on a crop body the reach suits me.

I'm selling the old lens on eBay since the local independent camera shop only does secondhand sales at a whopping 25% commission and the photography section on Craigslist doesn't appear to have a lot of activity in this locality.

I just hope I don't regreat spending the extra cash.

CanonCameraFan said:
I've just taken the plunge and bought a secondhand 24-105L to replace my secondhand 28-135mm. Have I done the right thing? As I'm waiting for the L to arrive at the beginning of the week I'm wondering just how much better is the L than the 28-135? Suppose I'm looking for reassurance really. I've read loads of reviews, forum posts (here and elsewhere) and anything else I could find about both lenses and have come to the conclusion that for 100 posts there will be 100 different opinions! I am most concerned about the upgrade of the optical quality since my camera body isn't weather sealed having a weather sealed lens seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury. I've only tried out the L in Jessops so haven't had much experience of it though everyone raves about it. Replacing the lens with one of similar length seemed the best thing as the 28-135 was a good choice. I don't tend to shoot wide (landscapes etc) so even on a crop body the reach suits me.

I'm selling the old lens on eBay since the local independent camera shop only does secondhand sales at a whopping 25% commission and the photography section on Craigslist doesn't appear to have a lot of activity in this locality.

I just hope I don't regreat spending the extra cash.

It's way better. Just shoot a few shots with it when you get it and you'll see what I mean: sharpness, contrast, color rendition, it's all there.

Upvote 0
K

KreutzerPhotography

You absolutely will not regret it... I thought the same thing when I drop $1000 on my 70-200 f/4L. It was the best idea I have made as far as photography goes. It opened my eyes to another range of Image Quality and made the ammount of keepers increase insanely (if thats a word).

The 24-105 is a GREAT video lens (one of the most popular) and depending on whaat you are photographing it can be a great photo lens too..

You will be head over heels for this lens

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I found my 24-105mm L to be much better than the 3 or 4 28-135mm's I've owned. There is a law of diminishing returns, you spend a lot more money for a relatively small increase in IQ.

However, the build is worlds better, AF is fast, and it likes you to use at at f/4 rather than having to stop down to f/8 to get sharp images like a consumer lens.

You won't be disappointed, if you are, then someone shipped you a bad one.

Upvote 0
C

CanonCameraFan

Many thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's a sound investment. Good to here what it's like from people who've used it. The lens arrived on Friday.

Unfortunately it was pouring with rain all day so I didn't have much chance to use it (the cat gets up and walks off in disgust every time I pick up my camera now after years of being photographed). I noticed the lack of lens creep immediately and from the limited shots I have taken with it so far it's certainly looking good; just want time to try it out now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.