Let's see some great shots taken with old, cheap gear!

In light of all the doom-and-gloom regarding the POS known as the 5DIII, let's try to lighten the mood, shall we :)? Since some people seem convinced that it's impossible to create art with only 11.7 stops of DR, and the 5DIII's pathetic hardware specs are limiting their creative execution, I propose posting your best images captured with less-than-stellar gear. It can really be anything, whether it's a point-and-shoot, xxD, Rebel, or just something that used to be a fine tool, but is too old to capture great images anymore (ie 1DII, 1DsII). As we all know, cameras that used to be cutting edge suddenly stop taking great images once a newer model comes out. Images from current crop bodies are very welcome, since everyone knows you can't take a decent image with a crop :eek:

Some of these have already been posted before, so I apologize in advance. These are far from the best shots in the world and some are far from great, but hey, they aren't out-of-focus snap shots of overweight felines taken with $3,000 bodies, either :) I know this might be better placed in the Images and Videos gallery, but since this forum has the highest concentration of whiners, I hope we can keep it here :) Let's see what those POS Canon sensors can do ;D

G7 in harsh middle-of-the-day light. Planning involved stepping out of car, pointing, and shooting.
IMG_4420.jpg

G7 with window light diffused through a sheet
06.jpg

20D with an embarrassingly slow 70-200 f/4
IMG_1224.jpg

20D with a junk 28-135 kit lens under cave-like stadium lights
65.jpg

20D somehow managing a lot of DR
02-1.jpg

20D, reflector, a couple Vivitar 285s, and cheap Hong Kong radio triggers
07b.jpg

1DII with only 1 cross-type sensor. Ack!!!!
_MG_0906.jpg

Apr 28, 2011
Ooh photos with cheap gear - I can do that!

Both photos taken with the original Digital Rebel (EOS 300D). Six megapixels of glory. The Venice photo was shot with the stock 18-55mm lens, without a tripod; it was just sitting on a pier. The lizard was photographed somewhere in Croatia using my 'up-market' 70-200mm f/4L. No IS on that baby.

Attachments

• lizard1.jpg
    lizard1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7,541
  • venice2.jpg
    venice2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 7,550
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I'm glad for this thread!

Canon 300D plus 20/2.8, stitched.

We climbed a mountain called East Peak. The temp did not go above -20C/0F all day, and there were gale-force winds at the summit. My gear functioned flawlessly.

EastPkPano.jpg

El Remate, Guatemala. 40C plus super high humidity. 300D plus Tamron 17-50

CRW_6708.jpg

Florence, Italy. 400D, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6

8629ArnoRiver2.jpg

Canon 300D, Canon 20/2.8, and a drugstore tripod.

IceAndFire.jpg

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
Not to pooh-pooh, but the implication is "my shots are as good as yours even though I'm shooting with crap. Still, I don't see a lot of shots taken under challenging conditions. I have some really good shots taken with a 450D, but they are shots with subjects that don't move with pretty light. Even iPhones take great shots under those conditions. I'm not buying a 5D3 or a d800 to shoots sunsets and flowers.

To me, the implication is that you don't need cutting-edge gear to create enjoyable photographs. It's not so much about extremes as it is about just chilling out and enjoying some photos. It's a breath of fresh air to put the latest gear and rumors aside and just look at some photos for a change.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Here we go.... :mad:

Can we not just enjoy one thread without the BS! Jeese.

Half of the people on here need to realise this isnt a forum for pros it is for everyone and this attitude to the latest and greatest is rubbish. Photography should be enjoyed by everyone regardless of their kit and not to be fealt inferior for it.

One of my favourite motor sport photographers (Dennis Noten) still uses a 450D and a 40D and check out his flickr stream. Incredible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/denniske/

Upvote 0