Lexar pulling out of XQD cards

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Seems Lexar is pulling out of XQD cards - https://petapixel.com/2018/10/25/le...progress/?mc_cid=40e58dd496&mc_eid=7ac2cb99fe

Does this spell the end to these cards - only major player supporting them is Sony. This puts NIkon in a bad spot - They may have to switch to CFExpress as XQD may go the way of betamax.

Interesting that SanDisk was part of the initial launch of XQD cards but never seemed to manufacture them.

thoughts?

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Meaning that you can use a CF express in an XQD slot?

That's how I read the paper, as it says "XQD host platform". CFExpress is an evolution of XQD. Both uses the PCI Express bus for interfacing and communication, but CF Express supports more modern interface/protocols (i.e. NVMe) and is designed to be able to support more PCIe lanes for increased performances. The form factor for actual CF Express cards is the same of XQD, although some future cards using more PCI lanes would have different connectors and probably different form factors.

Thereby if PCExpress physical and logical interfaces are compatible with XQD, a software update could allow some cameras to use them, probably without being able to use the more advanced features.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
That's how I read the paper, as it says "XQD host platform". CFExpress is an evolution of XQD. Both uses the PCI Express bus for interfacing and communication, but CF Express supports more modern interface/protocols (i.e. NVMe) and is designed to be able to support more PCIe lanes for increased performances. The form factor for actual CF Express cards is the same of XQD, although some future cards using more PCI lanes would have different connectors and probably different form factors.

Thereby if PCExpress physical and logical interfaces are compatible with XQD, a software update could allow some cameras to use them, probably without being able to use the more advanced features.
Thanks. I get the overall picture though I must confess you lost me when you mentioned nVMe

I have used PCI express on an old PC (now on a Mac and enjoy the speed of Thunderbolt 2 and 3).

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Thanks. I get the overall picture though I must confess you lost me when you mentioned nVMe

NVMe is a specification for non volatile storage devices directly attached to the PCIe bus. It can take advantage of both PCI Express and solid state storage specific features - older specifications like PATA (use by CF cards) and SATA (used by CFast) were designed for spinning disks, and can't take advantage of features like low latency and parallelism available now. XQD does use PCIe, but IIRC was designed before NVMe, so it uses a different protocol,

I don't know enough about the specs to tell what a firmaware upgrade could deliver, but probably being able to use CFExpress cards even at reduced performance is better than being stuck into XQD only. If Nikon & C. deliver this kind of update is another issue, but one, at least, that doesn't touch Canon users.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
NVMe is a specification for non volatile storage devices directly attached to the PCIe bus. It can take advantage of both PCI Express and solid state storage specific features - older specifications like PATA (use by CF cards) and SATA (used by CFast) were designed for spinning disks, and can't take advantage of features like low latency and parallelism available now. XQD does use PCIe, but IIRC was designed before NVMe, so it uses a different protocol,

I don't know enough about the specs to tell what a firmaware upgrade could deliver, but probably being able to use CFExpress cards even at reduced performance is better than being stuck into XQD only. If Nikon & C. deliver this kind of update is another issue, but one, at least, that doesn't touch Canon users.

Thanks. we live in interesting times.

Upvote 0