Lightroom CC/6 & DNG Converter 9.7 Get EOS 5D Mark IV Support

romanr74 said:
jtaylor2 said:
fentiger said:
please enlighten me, whats the problem with DPP?

It's purestrain garbage.

it is not

It's unstable and slow. The interface is clunky. It's difficult to do things like preview your image in full screen. The curves editor is much harder to use than Lightroom's. It makes the open source raw processors out there look like quality.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
jtaylor2 said:
romanr74 said:
jtaylor2 said:
fentiger said:

It's purestrain garbage.

it is not

It's unstable and slow. The interface is clunky. It's difficult to do things like preview your image in full screen. The curves editor is much harder to use than Lightroom's. It makes the open source raw processors out there look like quality.

which doesn't make it purestrain garbage

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
dilbert said:
romanr74 said:

Think of it another way. DPP is a freebie that Canon gives away with their DSLRs.

You get what you pay for.

thank you dilby, but i figure out myself how i want to think of something...

how do you know it is a freebie?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
fentiger said:
Per-lease! This has had so much discussion here and on other boards it's barely worth raising the question. It's a marketing necessity that Canon ship software with new cameras, and while a patiently processed file or two through DPP look terrific, it's all about efficient workflow and options. Photographers around the planet have voted, and mostly stepped up to Lr or CaptureOne Pro. Trust the majority on this one.

-pw

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
noms78 said:
Does DPP produce better quality/more detailed RAW output than Lightroom/Phase 1?
DPP supporters, you're not listening. DPP works ok, and it's important that software ships with your new Canon. For some shooters it's perfectly fine. Nobody is saying you don't get beautiful quality conversions from DPP; it's all about stability, speed, workflow and options. Lr & CaptureOne Pro rule in this space. If you're busy and value your time, you don't use DPP. Simple. If DPP ever evolves to being a valid competitor then we can continue the conversation.

DPP did have a brief advantage while it was the only software that could convert your 5D MkIV RAWS.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
pwp said:
noms78 said:
Does DPP produce better quality/more detailed RAW output than Lightroom/Phase 1?
DPP supporters, you're not listening. DPP works ok, and it's important that software ships with your new Canon. For some shooters it's perfectly fine. Nobody is saying you don't get beautiful quality conversions from DPP; it's all about stability, speed, workflow and options. Lr & CaptureOne Pro rule in this space. If you're busy and value your time, you don't use DPP. Simple. If DPP ever evolves to being a valid competitor then we can continue the conversation.

DPP did have a brief advantage while it was the only software that could convert your 5D MkIV RAWS.

-pw

lol.

I never have a problem with stability.. and getting the equivalent of DxO optics pro for free for my canon lenses is amazing value.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
dilbert said:
romanr74 said:
dilbert said:
romanr74 said:

Think of it another way. DPP is a freebie that Canon gives away with their DSLRs.

You get what you pay for.

thank you dilby, but i figure out myself how i want to think of something...

how do you know it is a freebie?

Because you don't need to own a Canon camera to get it (for free) on the Internet.

which is why you have to enter a valid serial number to download?

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
cayenne said:
I don't want to rent my software with CC, so looking to go for LR6.
No idea about release date of LR 7.

cayenne said:
Is there any scuttlebutt on a LR7 release soon? Or, any rumors if Adobe will finally make LR CC rental only instead of a buy perpetual license?
I don't understand what you mean by that. LR CC is actually for rental on monthly basis for $9.99 with PS. I guess you know that and that is why I don't understand what you mean.

Basically Adobe again didn't address their major issue with LR - PERFORMANCE. Both overall and on local adjustments. As well no true GPU utilization. So far GPU takes advantage usage is felt on above FULL HD. E.g. 2k, 4k, 5k etc.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
romanr74 said:
dilbert said:
Because you don't need to own a Canon camera to get it (for free) on the Internet.
which is why you have to enter a valid serial number to download?

Unless you get it from some other sites but Canon's - and maybe get also some "unspecified add-on" with it.

Of course if you get hold of a valid serial number you can download it as well from Canon sites.

There's a question to raise: if I bought a Canon camera, and then sold/lost it, why shouldn't I be able to still enjoy my Canon RAW files, even if I didn't buy another, and the DPP version doesn't work on my actual OS?

Of course I know the solution is simply be "get another application able to read them", just raising pointing out the issue of a user who could be made "unable" to access his or her own photos by Canon, and if this could be a violation of customer's rights.

Upvote 0
about DPP : it has one big feature for me: displaying the focus point(s) that was/were used to focus (Alt-L). I don't really know how to verify the AF correctness without this. But obviously i'm using this during AF finetuning only on new body/lens combinations at the beginning. There is a unsupported i believe opensource so to speak plugin for lightrrom to do a similar thing, but it's not very handy to use.
But in terms of workflow DPP is not in the same league as LR. just my 2 cents

Upvote 0