Lightroom CC/6 & DNG Converter 9.7 Get EOS 5D Mark IV Support

AlanF said:
Cameraraw 9.7 won't install on my Macs and CS6. The downloaded package goes through the motions, but doesn't actually update. Updating directly through CS6 will only upgrade to 9.1.1. It also tells me that 9.1.1 is the latest version.Any clues?

Yeah. They've been having problems with their CDNs. Some regions got corrupted uploads and they fail validation. Try again?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
AlanF said:
Cameraraw 9.7 won't install on my Macs and CS6. The downloaded package goes through the motions, but doesn't actually update. Updating directly through CS6 will only upgrade to 9.1.1. It also tells me that 9.1.1 is the latest version.Any clues?
I do not know about lightroom but for Photoshop unfortunately 9.1.1 is the upper limit of Adobe CS6.

Upvote 0
jtaylor2 said:
A couple of the pictures I took on my first day with the 5Div I thought had hopelessly clipped highlights. DPP made it seem like the were non-recoverable. But LR brought them back with detail intact easily. Seems to be able to to get more dynamic range out of the raw data, but of course I don't have any scientific tests to prove it.

As we found out on another (German speaking) forum, DPP can recover the highlights as well as soon as you disable the diffraction correction. Weired bug I must say.

Upvote 0
I'd never used DPP before, but yesterday I edited some 5Div food photographs with it... it is indeed a mess compared to Lightroom. In the middle of editing I noticed Lightroom was updated. I was ecstatic.

But I must say... Lightroom's decoding of these files is much softer than DPP. It's that heavy low-pass filter look seen in all the early samples. Meanwhile, my photos look much sharper in DPP. Then you turn on DLO and they get even sharper.

Lightroom also does not have a profile for Canon's new fine detail setting... which I'm loving for my food photography.

It's a bummer as I've been using Lightroom for years, but DPP's decoder looks so much better right now. There's no way I could edit 500 vacation photos in it, but my food photography creates only a few photos that need editing per shoot. So I'm going to stick with DPP (then Photoshop) for now.

Here's a photo of low-carb Strawberries & Cream Popsicles from my first shoot with the 5D iv.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 211
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Christianstella said:
I'd never used DPP before, but yesterday I edited some 5Div food photographs with it... it is indeed a mess compared to Lightroom. In the middle of editing I noticed Lightroom was updated. I was ecstatic.

But I must say... Lightroom's decoding of these files is much softer than DPP. It's that heavy low-pass filter look seen in all the early samples. Meanwhile, my photos look much sharper in DPP. Then you turn on DLO and they get even sharper.

Lightroom also does not have a profile for Canon's new fine detail setting... which I'm loving for my food photography.

It's a bummer as I've been using Lightroom for years, but DPP's decoder looks so much better right now. There's no way I could edit 500 vacation photos in it, but my food photography creates only a few photos that need editing per shoot. So I'm going to stick with DPP (then Photoshop) for now.

Here's a photo of low-carb Strawberries & Cream Popsicles from my first shoot with the 5D iv.

I am a newbie to DPP, but in my brief experience it is indeed sharper than DxO, PS and Apple. It might be clunky but you can transfer tiffs or jpegs to PS for further processing.

Upvote 0