LIGHTROOM - PREVIEWS NOT SHOWING

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yesterday I imported 61 Photoshop files into Lightroom Classic because I want to use its book module. It is my first experience using Lightroom to any extent. I am so steeped in the Bridge, ACR, Photoshop workflow that I'm finding LR to be really counter-intuitive. I understand it works well for volume users who know how to take advantage of its features. But I doubt that after this project I will be a convert, at least not unless I want to do another book. That will probably give me time to forget how to use it. I'm not having great luck with searching Adobe's online help files, but I'm getting things done. When all else fails, I take the picture back to Photoshop for a process.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Yesterday I imported 61 Photoshop files into Lightroom Classic because I want to use its book module. It is my first experience using Lightroom to any extent. I am so steeped in the Bridge, ACR, Photoshop workflow that I'm finding LR to be really counter-intuitive. I understand it works well for volume users who know how to take advantage of its features. But I doubt that after this project I will be a convert, at least not unless I want to do another book. That will probably give me time to forget how to use it. I'm not having great luck with searching Adobe's online help files, but I'm getting things done. When all else fails, I take the picture back to Photoshop for a process.
I'd strongly recommend getting a lightroom book. The one by Martin Evening is great and easy to read for beginning users. After getting the understanding down, its pretty easy, but I agree that its counter intutive at first. I bought the book when version 2 of lightroom came out. Currently, I have Victoria Bramptons book which is great for refreshing me on functions I havent used for a while.

There multiple modules to learn, first, a good understanding of the import and file management, thats the big feature even though a person does not realize that at first, its really critical to set up your workflow properly since you have to live with it.

Then, the editing which means how to use the controls and capabilities. There are functions within functions.

Then, the export process, thats how you get a finished image to use, until you export, all you have is a list of edit settings in the database. Export applies those as it generates a actual image file.

Then printing and the photobook applications if you use those. I have never used the web module, and never really adapted to the mobile version, but I do use it to backup images when traveling.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I’ve read several of Martin Evening’s books over the years, and trust that his Lightroom book would be good, too. But I got through tweaking the individual shots, so I’m not much motivated to learn more. A lot of it was finding where familiar controls are buried. But thanks for the recommendation. I will keep that in mind if I decide to learn the program.

I’m reviewing appropriate Scott Kelby videos on making the books as I go. Watching the course for the first time is what convinced me to use Lightroom to do the book.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
After getting more used to Lightroom, I am liking it more. The images for the book were slides scanned in from a trip in 2000. There are little bits of lint or other crud. I’m impressed with the tool that works like a non-destructive spot healing brush. It instantly chooses an area to substitute and does it so well that I very rarely move the choice.

The slides have faded, so most slides have a magenta cast. I got rid of most of that when I edited in Photoshop to produce pictures for the web pages I did about the trip. I watched a video in which the guy used split toning to adjust colors, not just for tinting black and white, as I would have used it for. I have now gone back and used it to tweak colors in a few of the more troublesome shots. I like the ease at which the effect can be turned off and on. (I probably should use adjustment layers in Photoshop more often for that reason.) After I finish and order the book, I may export the Lightroom versions to use on the web pages instead of the ones I originally did. At least I can compare the two and choose the ones I prefer.

Maybe in the future I will have a greater sense of when I might want to use Lightroom.

Now that I am done playing with the tilt-shift lens and have sent it back, I am doing a bit with extension tubes and a ring light to see how they work with lenses I already own. I don’t have any photo project in mind, but just testing shooting a ruler at various magnifications and apertures.

My next real project is to scan in negatives from my 2001 trip to Seattle and Glacier National Park. First I have to find what I did with the film holder for my slide scanner. As I recall, Vuscan does a good job compensating for the orange mask. My guess is that Kodacolor will have survived the ravages of time better than did the Ektachrome.

Upvote 0