Locking Exposure in Manual

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
I have an aging 70D and I find shooting on Manual particularly tricky when I want to change aperture -- I always fumble counter-rotating the shutter-speed dial to keep my exposure constant. I'm considering upgrade options and wondering if there's a feature of a newer camera that makes this easier.

In my dreams I press the exposure lock button, spin the aperture control dial, and it changes the shutter-speed (and/or ISO) for me. (Curiously on my 70D pressing the AE lock button in Manual actually swaps the roles of my dials between shutter-speed and aperture).

I read about Canon's new Fv mode but as far as I can tell it's not at all what I'm looking for -- I want to lock in my exposure and then change Aperture and let counter-adjust the ISO & shutter-speed automatically. Is this crazy? Is there another way I should be doing this?

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
On my M6 mark II the exposure lock works just as you expect in Fv mode. I can change a setting and the remaining AUTO settings compensate to maintain the same exposure. This also happens when I'm not using exposure lock and don't change the scene since the metering will continue to be the same.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
On my M6 mark II the exposure lock works just as you expect in Fv mode. I can change a setting and the remaining AUTO settings compensate to maintain the same exposure. This also happens when I'm not using exposure lock and don't change the scene since the metering will continue to be the same.
Thank you for sharing this!

Upvote 0