Looking at Cine Lens Color Shifts Using Spectrometry

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,257
2,030
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
If you’re in need of some geek, Roger over at Lensrentals.com has <a href="http://www.pjatr.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJGRk5HSklCRkpOSkVN?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lensrentals.com%2Fblog%2F2018%2F04%2Flooking-at-cine-lens-color-shifts-using-spectrometry%2F">posted a new article</a> comparing color shift differences in cinema lenses. Included in the test are cinema lenses from Canon, Samyang, Sigma, Schneider & Zeiss</p>
<p><strong>What’s the takeaway from Lensrentals.com:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>For Cine lenses at least, a given brand does tend to have a given look, at least in focal lengths of 35mm and longer. The process we’ve developed seems to be correlating with real-world findings. The differences are slight, and I doubt significant at all unless you mix and match brands during a shoot without color balancing. <a href="http://www.pjatr.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJGRk5HSklCRkpOSkVN?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lensrentals.com%2Fblog%2F2018%2F04%2Flooking-at-cine-lens-color-shifts-using-spectrometry%2F">Read the full article</a></p></blockquote>
<p><em>image credit // <a href="http://www.pjatr.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJGRk5HSklCRkpOSkVN?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lensrentals.com%2Fblog%2F2018%2F04%2Flooking-at-cine-lens-color-shifts-using-spectrometry%2F">Lensrentals.com</a></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 
D

Deleted member 380306

Guest
Never mind about lenses where's the 'Canon FF mirrorless revolution' you talk of...!
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,847
2,464
Alberta, Canada
If you say the same thing over and over you start to believe it. If you say the same thing over and over and over again you start to believe it's the most important thing in the whole wide world. So much for reality. ;) ;D

Jack
 
Mar 31, 2014
1,014
101
71
Center of my universe
Jack Douglas said:
If you say the same thing over and over you start to believe it. If you say the same thing over and over and over again you start to believe it's the most important thing in the whole wide world. So much for reality. ;) ;D

Jack

I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...

No this is not working! Perhaps I need to repeat it a few more times...
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,847
2,464
Alberta, Canada
;D ;D I was thinking more along the lines of "Canon is dumb", "mirror slapper", "crippled", "*******", "Sony is blowing away the competition" ... ;)

Seems the more we get the more we tend to complain - living in the age of "entitlement".

Jack
 
D

Deleted member 380306

Guest
chrysoberyl said:
Jack Douglas said:
If you say the same thing over and over you start to believe it. If you say the same thing over and over and over again you start to believe it's the most important thing in the whole wide world. So much for reality. ;) ;D

Jack

I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...I do not want a new lens...


No this is not working! Perhaps I need to repeat it a few more times...

Maybe Jacks a hippy chanting away with his "brainwashing" and "coercive persuasion," S____...!
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,847
2,464
Alberta, Canada
The title of this thread: Looking at Cine Lens Color Shifts Using Spectrometry, and we must be subjected to this, "Never mind about lenses where's the 'Canon FF mirrorless revolution' you talk of...!"

Need I say more. ;) :)

Jack
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,106
396
Vancouver, BC
Jack Douglas said:
;D ;D I was thinking more along the lines of "Canon is dumb", "mirror slapper", "crippled", "*******", "Sony is blowing away the competition" ... ;)

Seems the more we get the more we tend to complain - living in the age of "entitlement".

Jack

I will not complain about the people complaining if I can just get a 200-400+TC. Because then I will be too busy to read about all the complaints! :D :D :D
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,847
2,464
Alberta, Canada
Talys, I've never gotten gas for that one based on my assumption it's kind of heavy for hand held shooting. I do understand that the zoom range is great and the quality is superb but I'm still very happy with my 400 DO II, provided my two extenders are with me.

No point calling out complainers, I know. ;) How about we have a CR "wailing wall" where those who are so inclined can go and whine in good company.

So much for color shifts in this thread. :)

Jack
 

jeffa4444

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 28, 2013
1,526
185
67
Its certainly helpful to know how a lens is biased when it come to colour shift in cinematography but trying to understand why one lens is used over another scientifically is a pointless exorcise. DOPs with their directors balance the bias of the lens with other things such as how the film is to be lit, is it period or sci-fi, is it low key or high key, is it pastel or saturated. The lens sets an accent as does in these days of digital the camera choice but they can easily be altered or compromised in post colour shift is not what it used to be in film days.