M6 II still takes good pictures

Sep 17, 2014
Sorry, you are probably right
I’m just jaded by canon atm
As I mentioned elsewhere, I’m not going to take the R line further (exception for a RF pancake)

Photography is just a hobby to me, nothing more. I make no money from it.
The prices of the R stuff is crazy. Yes Eye Focus and EVF are a god send. But my DSLR’s & M system are hardly box brownies. I just don’t need the stress of feeling I must move on and up and given their costs and maximum apertures - especially on the consumer line, I’d rather just take a back seat and carry on as I were.

A R7/8/6/5 plus a few lenses is £2k +/-
For something to take snaps as a hobby.

No, I’m stopping now

I might take another look in 5/6yrs but I’m guessing phones will have advanced to such levels I won’t want to.

I totally get it. Then we get the very decent and well priced R7/R10/R50 and have no lenses to pair it with. Plus the crazy UK prices, asking £4400 for a 3 year old R5 body only.

Compare this to Fuji for example where you can get a very good 10-24 F4 wide angle for around £300 used. Going second hand is still a good option.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I hadn’t even considered that
But then the phone is pretty much indispensable in this day and age, let’s see….

A phone,
A camera,
A diary,
A ridiculously powerful PC,
A bank card,
A personal stereo
A sat nav
A game station
A calculator
A weather station
A clock
A photo album
A dictionary
A compass
A voice recorder

Etc etc

That’s pretty amazing value for money actually

I need to get off forums - as they feed GAS
And go take pictures instead - lol

The problem with phones is the lack of a decent zoom lens. I might not buy another camera once i can buy a phone with at least 4 lenses having the same 1-inch sensor, like 16mm, 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm. Right now we can decent image quality from the main camera and very poor digital zooms/lack of details from the rest.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If Canon only does the bare minimum for aps-c, then why do we have the 32mm f/1.4 for EOS-M (aps-c) ?? :cool: . OTOH, it is very likely we won't see the M primes ported to R until the M inventory is exhausted. That is just good business sense.

That lens is a rare exception together with the 17-55 2.8 and 60mm macro. But it was a different time when APS-C DSLR's were king and sales were huge. I still consider 2 lenses in 20+ years as a bare minimum.

What surprised me the most was the new RF-S 18-45. After the EF-M 15-45 you would think they will try at least to match the same focal length and the competition. What's next? 20-40 F5.6-F7.1 for APS-C?

Upvote 0
The problem with phones is the lack of a decent zoom lens. I might not buy another camera once i can buy a phone with at least 4 lenses having the same 1-inch sensor, like 16mm, 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm. Right now we can decent image quality from the main camera and very poor digital zooms/lack of details from the rest.
True, but I think it’s almost a given that camera phones will turn the corner. We know it’s basically software, the sensor and lens basically just sends the data.

Once they’ve cracked it, that’ll be it.
At one time that scared me as I love taking pictures, but now I’ve come round to the idea of letting go and travelling light.

I can’t wait tbh.

No wonder canon are milking it, they must be acutely aware the clock is ticking. The big tech firms have almost unlimited reserves of money to throw at this.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
True, but I think it’s almost a given that camera phones will turn the corner. We know it’s basically software, the sensor and lens basically just sends the data.

Once they’ve cracked it, that’ll be it.
At one time that scared me as I love taking pictures, but now I’ve come round to the idea of letting go and travelling light.

I can’t wait tbh.

No wonder canon are milking it, they must be acutely aware the clock is ticking. The big tech firms have almost unlimited reserves of money to throw at this.

I agree but it will be a very long time until phones can replace a full frame R5 with a 70-200 lens for example. Or a 800mm telephoto in similar quality.
Sure, phones will be good enough for most and even some professional results in the near future, mostly in decent lighting and shorter focal lengths.

I'm just waiting until 1 inch sensors will be in sub £500 phones.

Upvote 0
I agree but it will be a very long time until phones can replace a full frame R5 with a 70-200 lens for example. Or a 800mm telephoto in similar quality.
Sure, phones will be good enough for most and even some professional results in the near future, mostly in decent lighting and shorter focal lengths.

I don’t think it will
Back on the early 90’s when I was at college, digital was just emerging. I vividly remember having a discussion with my lecturer about film vs digital and how it was silly having to learn sensitometry and the technical aspects of film. His reply - bear in mind I was 21 at the time - was that digital would never become mainstream in my life time, this was the head of the photography department.

The minute apple or Google crack the AI software - which I imagine they are both investing heavily - photography will never be the same again.

I hope I’m around to see it. Exciting times indeed

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
@Doormat

It's not all software.

Unless you're okay with the camera basically resynthesizing the image from scratch. For example, you point the camera at a cow, the software figures out it's a cow, and then hands you a 3-D model of a cow, standing in the same posture as the cow you're looking at. If you see what I mean.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
@Doormat

It's not all software.

Unless you're okay with the camera basically resynthesizing the image from scratch. For example, you point the camera at a cow, the software figures out it's a cow, and then hands you a 3-D model of a cow, standing in the same posture as the cow you're looking at. If you see what I mean.
With an itsy bitsy phone sensor, the AI could easily miss the fact that it was a bull, not a cow :ROFLMAO:, but in today's world, I guess bulls can be cows if they choose to be :cool:.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The minute apple or Google crack the AI software - which I imagine they are both investing heavily - photography will never be the same again.
It won't be photography. It will be photo-assisted painting.

Maybe photography itself will stop being a "mainstream", but someone will still need to provide ground truths for the AI training.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I hadn’t even considered that
But then the phone is pretty much indispensable in this day and age, let’s see….

A phone,
A camera,
A diary,
A ridiculously powerful PC,
A bank card,
A personal stereo
A sat nav
A game station
A calculator
A weather station
A clock
A photo album
A dictionary
A compass
A voice recorder

Etc etc

That’s pretty amazing value for money actually

I need to get off forums - as they feed GAS
And go take pictures instead - lol

Not amazing value for me considering a £250 midrange phone can do 99% of that. For £1000 i can buy a premium compact like a Canon G5X II and a midrange phone. Sure, that's 2 devices but still pocketable and much better image quality.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The reason I kept my DSLR’s is because of the difference in colour rendition from their various sensors. My oldest is the 400D and my newest the 6dii.
My 5dc and 40d images are so similar and share a certain signature from that era, likewise the 1div 16mp H sensor paired with the sigma EX 30mm 1.4 gives absolutely gorgeous files that I just cannot replicate with other kit and so on and so on. Those early canon sensors with their unique canon colour science are simply divine. Whereas the files I see from the RP really do look digital. I saw a comparison shot between the 5d2 and RP the 5d2 was stunning capturing the subtle nuances of light and colour, utterly immersive whereas the RP looked like a phone pic, nothing more than a clinically sharp recording……soulless.

This is why I’m staying put.
I don't blame you. I agree in a way...I think the 5D3 and 5DS/R cameras were the last of the "classic colors" era at Canon. From the 5D4 onward, the images do have a somewhat more "digital" look as you put it (I'd say neutral/clinical)...which, for certain genres, is fine and not a problem, really...but for others, it's very noticeable.

For me, nature and seasonal shooting is most affected. I've found that when I use the 5DS for these shots, the images need very little adjustment as a rule. However, when I was using the RP to take those same shots last year, I found I needed to make significant adjustments to individual color groups...and different shots needed different settings some times...all to say, I spent a LOT more time in PP getting those to look the way I wanted (or at least as close as possible). However, at events/festivals/etc., it's a somewhat different story - although I still prefer the older color rendition, the AF/speed/high ISO advancements of the newer cameras (which raise the keeper rate) more than balance this out IMO. All this to say I still have use for both...

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I thought all M cameras stopped working after the news of discontinuation dropped?!?!?

I am bringing my M6II and 22mm to my first proper work trip in an loooooong time this weekend. Let’s see if Brussels gets such awesome sunsets!

Have mine in a smallrig cage, highly recommended for more stablility and handling. Rock solid.

Used the 22mm and the sigma 30mm in japan. GOOD TIMES.

To be honest, the af isnt the best wide open, and pixel smearing is a thing..(moody is a word i'd use). But when it hits, it does great.

PS- it absolutely KILLS with the 11-22. The lens IS solves the lack of IS in the body..sharp sharp shots even at slow shutter. Loved it.

Cheers, enjoy

Upvote 0