Magnetic Filter Recommendations?

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
CR Pro
Anyone have any experience using magnetic filter systems (Freewell, Kase, others?!)

I have been using screw in filters (most B&W) for a while now with good results. Although I am too lazy to transition over to the plate (Lee or similar) systems, I find the magnetic systems intriguing.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
I've used magentic filters, CC30M as screw-in back in the BW film days, and also as large sheets to wrap fluorescent lights in scientific imaging applications.

As for magnetic filters, I have come across them a few times including once being used by someone shooting next to me. I was using B+W screw-ins, and he certainly had an easier time changing filters. He did say he was not as happy with the optical quality as his prior Lee square kit, but that the magnetic ones were very convenient. Apologies, I don't recall what brand he was using.

Upvote 0

jabird56

Explorer
CR Pro
Oct 16, 2018
Central Florida
Maven Filters is a new magnetic line of filters, that was just released a few months ago. The initial set of filters were/are released to the initial backers, that had signed up and provided initial start-up funding through kickstarter.com and indiegogo.com. I am one of the initial backers and the filter kits that I bought are currently on their way to me, with delivery scheduled for next week. Between Kickstarter and Indiegogo, there were approximately 3700 backers for Michael's product line. So, Michael and staff have been working the last few months dealing with these initial orders. He has more filters inbound by container ship and should be able to support new customers sometime in March or April.

Mavenfilters.com has recently come online and has a few of the filters available for purchase, where they will start shipping later this month.

Michael the Maven has a YouTube channel and is also the administrator of the Canon 90D Owners FB page.
The link provided goes through how this system works and has some video reviews also.

Also check this article out here in Canan Rumors: https://www.canonrumors.com/maven-f...or-coded-photography-and-videography-filters/

Last edited:
Upvote 0