Meyer Optik Görlitz adds native Canon RF mount for all of its lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Meyer Optik Görlitz has announced that all of their lenses now have a native Canon RF mount. The the Trioplan 100mm F2.8 II and Trioplan 35mm F2.8 II were already available for the RF mount, but now the rest of their lineup gets the same treatment.
New Meyer Optik Görlitz Lenses now with an RF mount.

Lydith 30mm F3.5 II €899.00
Trioplan 35mm F2.8 II €899.00
Trioplan 50mm F2.8 II €899.00
Primoplan 58 mmF1.9 II €899.00
Primoplan 75mm F1.9 II...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/meyer-optik-gorlitz-adds-native-canon-rf-mount-for-all-of-its-lenses/]Continue reading...

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Far too expensive for what they offer. Just trying to revive an old reputed brand with lenses nobody knows where they are actually made.
"made in Germany" doesn't necessarily mean that the optical components are German made. It often stands for "assembled".
I'd rather buy native RF lenses like the 35mm or 85mm, better optically, macro, AF, and less expensive. And for bokeh, there are vintage options (Pentax, Minolta etc...) which cost a fraction of the price of these primitive lenses.
PS: you can even get vintage Leica M lenses for less (2,8-3,5/35, 2,8/90, 2,8/50...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I guess because it needs to be said, these lenses are for filmmakers. Notice the gears on the side? That's for attaching a follow-focus unit. There's no reason for these to have AF because that's not how they're used.
Sorry, but I don't see gears", only ribbed focusing and diaphragm rings. They are ribbed like many Leica M lenses, video gears are coarser.
And their German website speaks of photo-lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry, but I don't see gears", only ribbed focusing and diaphragm rings. They are ribbed like many Leica M lenses, video gears are coarser.

Agreed. These are not cine lenses. Everything about the site suggests these lenses are intended for still photographers. About the 30 f/3.5, the website says "In addition to the classic applications of a 30mm focal length, such as landscape or city photography, the Lydith is ideal for macro photography or working with an macro-rings due to its low close-up limit of 0.15m, its three-dimensional imaging and high sharpness in the close-up range."

Deutsch Photography: NYC Wedding Photographer | Actor and Executive Headshots NYC | Family and Baby Portraits

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Agreed. These are not cine lenses. Everything about the site suggests these lenses are intended for still photographers. About the 30 f/3.5, the website says "In addition to the classic applications of a 30mm focal length, such as landscape or city photography, the Lydith is ideal for macro photography or working with an macro-rings due to its low close-up limit of 0.15m, its three-dimensional imaging and high sharpness in the close-up range."

Deutsch Photography: NYC Wedding Photographer | Actor and Executive Headshots NYC | Family and Baby Portraits

I took a second look and I agree with you that these aren't gears after all. I stand corrected.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
I checked them out on their web site - the downside seemed to be that the bokeh had a pretty hard, bright edge, rather than a softer edge. Ok with low-contrast backgrounds, but if there are points of light in the background, they look like brightly - outlined circles. My 50 f/1.4 EF has smoother bokeh (though it has its deficiencies as well).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Those names eh.... sure sound exotic. Is this company still German? Or chinese? Like how the Voigtlander name was acquired by a Chinese company and slapped on Cosina lenses?

Oh, there's no AF right? Checks calendar, confirms it is 2022, not 1980.
Take a look at wikipedia. I was not only surprised, but also a bit shocked (provided Wiki is right, doubts being allowed !).
Seems a strange and obscure company indeed...producing triplets with a strange bokeh costing more than excellent RF lenses.
I keep wondering who will buy them thinking them made by a renowned German optical company :rolleyes:.
At least, Cosina is absolutely honest as to the origin of Voigtländer lenses, they use the name without suggesting they are made by the original company.
Edit: After several avatars, Meyer seem to belong to OPC Optics based in Bad Kreuznach, Germany...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Far too expensive for what they offer. Just trying to revive an old reputed brand with lenses nobody knows where they are actually made.
"made in Germany" doesn't necessarily mean that the optical components are German made. It often stands for "assembled".
I'd rather buy native RF lenses like the 35mm or 85mm, better optically, macro, AF, and less expensive. And for bokeh, there are vintage options (Pentax, Minolta etc...) which cost a fraction of the price of these primitive lenses.
PS: you can even get vintage Leica M lenses for less (2,8-3,5/35, 2,8/90, 2,8/50...)
Many vintage options are cheap and so are the adapters for them that is true but for some they’ll want a native option even if it costs more. I have some vintage lenses and the adapter makes my setup a bit front heavy and much longer than I would like.

In the case of their upcoming 75mm f1.5 Biotar that is a fairly unique case as the original Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar is only available on the likes of ebay and from approximately £1200-£4100 and you won’t know what condition its in until it arrives. When the Meyer-Optik version arrives at least a few people will review it and if anyone choses to buy one it will cost £860 for one brand new and no adapter needed.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Those names eh.... sure sound exotic. Is this company still German? Or chinese? Like how the Voigtlander name was acquired by a Chinese company and slapped on Cosina lenses?

Does it matter where the lens is made? I would assume the lens performance is what matters. There are many very great products manufactured in China.

I guess it is wearing thin to constantly read people knocking a product because of where it is made. I can remember when Japanese products were considered junk.

Every country has manufacturers of poor quality products.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Does it matter where the lens is made? I would assume the lens performance is what matters. There are many very great products manufactured in China.

I guess it is wearing thin to constantly read people knocking a product because of where it is made. I can remember when Japanese products were considered junk.

Every country has manufacturers of poor quality products.
It does matter where a product is made, If you charge a "made in Germany" price.
Qualilty is not at stake, I too can remember when "made in Japan" stood for crappy products.
Chinese made lenses are often very good, and inexpensive too!
Nevertheless, living in Europe and enjoying excellent healthcare etc... I prefer to invest in companies paying taxes where I live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the "Brand" was bought by OPC a German company, including all historic lens formulas. They have a production facility for Meyer in Hamburg (Germany). The marking "made in Germany" may not directly be protected by law but by federal ruling based on German Trademark laws and the Unfair Competition Act. in general it is said: "In principle, a product may only bear the label "Made in Germany" if those production steps take place in Germany which are the basis of the product's characteristics and therefore "essential" for the consumer's appreciation."

btw.: the hard bokeh is intentional - they call it to be soap bubble like. I - personally - love it. much more than those overly soft bokeh most modern lenses have.

but yes - the price is still insane. I would consider them if they would have af with that price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Exotic? The names are the many decades old names of Meyer lenses made for classic film cameras and since the old lenses (especially the Trioplan 100) had some hype a couple years ago (going for >500€ even in shitty condition) the revived the name(s) with a kickstarter campaign and rebranded lenses.
This fell apart quickly - OPC took over and reworked the lenses (the lenses with "II" in the name) with more focus on quality.

Building AF lenses will for small manufacturers be a huge task, since it leads to exploding cost (mechanics, electronics, optics) and lots of headaches for the reverse engineering of the software, since Canon doesn't tell others how to do AF with their cams.
Also using manual lenses if your life doesn't depend on nailing every shot can be fun as well, especially when you are using a nice lens designed for manual use.

Upvote 0
Exotic? The names are the many decades old names of Meyer lenses made for classic film cameras and since the old lenses (especially the Trioplan 100) had some hype a couple years ago (going for >500€ even in shitty condition) the revived the name(s) with a kickstarter campaign and rebranded lenses.
This fell apart quickly - OPC took over and reworked the lenses (the lenses with "II" in the name) with more focus on quality.

Building AF lenses will for small manufacturers be a huge task, since it leads to exploding cost (mechanics, electronics, optics) and lots of headaches for the reverse engineering of the software, since Canon doesn't tell others how to do AF with their cams.
Also using manual lenses if your life doesn't depend on nailing every shot can be fun as well, especially when you are using a nice lens designed for manual use.
Yeah.. there is one problem though, technology moved on. Using a manual lens because you don't need to nail focus every-time, sounds a bit weird for a lens to be slapped on a Canon R5 etc which boasts exceptional focusing capabilities.

These lenses are nothing more than fake 'exotics' for the 'retro' hipster photographer. I really can't see the point buying one, if you own a modern camera.

Upvote 0
Yeah.. there is one problem though, technology moved on. Using a manual lens because you don't need to nail focus every-time, sounds a bit weird for a lens to be slapped on a Canon R5 etc which boasts exceptional focusing capabilities.

These lenses are nothing more than fake 'exotics' for the 'retro' hipster photographer. I really can't see the point buying one, if you own a modern camera.

Using MF lenses surely is not for everyone and if you are looking for the best possible image you probably won't use MF lenses outside of special applications (extreme macro or tilt shift).
My point was, that these lenses or manual ones in general are more for people enjoying the process and not for professionals on the job or someone who wants the best technical image quality.

The crowd of people using modern manual lenses or manual lenses from decades past adapted to modern, digital cameras is a bit more diverse than 'hipsters' and as you can imagine the views on projects like this revived Meyer are split.
I personally wouldn't buy those due to the steep price (a problem I have with the vintage Meyers as well) but not for the lack of auto focus, since I do enjoy using my old Zeiss, Voigtländer or Zuiko lenses on digital and film (at least for images I take for myself with no pressure of someone needing specific results).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It does matter where a product is made, If you charge a "made in Germany" price.
Qualilty is not at stake, I too can remember when "made in Japan" stood for crappy products.
Chinese made lenses are often very good, and inexpensive too!
Nevertheless, living in Europe and enjoying excellent healthcare etc... I prefer to invest in companies paying taxes where I live.
Prices are set based on the market. Something is not automatically commanding a high or lower price because of the geographical location of the final assembly and packaging. "Made in Germany" does not mean it was all made there. Does BMW etc. own their own chip fab house? Where does the leather come from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0