Microsoft RAW Codec that supports 5D III and 64 Bit Available

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
This is invaluable - thanks Mt. Spokane (hope your hands are doing better)

Some of you may get an error code which deals with permissions and writing to the Registry to allow this installation to occur. If you get this error (ProgId) please visit: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/microsoft-camera-codec-pack-16006520621-could-not/6faac61d-ff5d-4c54-b2d1-ffdbda4e4cbd

I believe this was posted once before in a similar thread so I thought to add here once again
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/microsoft-camera-codec-pack-16006520621-could-not/6faac61d-ff5d-4c54-b2d1-ffdbda4e4cbd

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
revup67 said:
This is invaluable - thanks Mt. Spokane (hope your hands are doing better)
I'm doing fine. I'm having both hands done for carpal tunnel. I have been unable to hold my heavy photo equipment, and the pain has been growing worse.
It will take a few months before the damaged nerves completely heal, but only about three weeks before I can reasonably hold 10 lbs in one hand.
There are a lot of nerves in your hand, and they all pass thru that tunnel. I don't know how I came to get the issue in both hands, probably typing for hours on CR ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
bigmag13 said:
what exactly is this for?
i do own a 5D3 and a Mac. what is the benny or what is this codec for?
please explain.

The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats in Window Live Photo Gallery as well as other software that is based in Windows Imaging Codecs (WIC).
Installing this package will allow supported RAW camera files to be viewable in Windows Explorer.
This package is available in both 32-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_x86.msi) and 64-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_amd64.msi) versions.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
I already had this downloaded on my system. This apparently does NOT support CR2s from 6D? Just got my 6D last week and photos will not open in Windows Live Photo Gallery. They work fine in LR4. And I have no problems seeing CR2s from my old 5D classic (or 30D for that matter) on Windows Live Photo Gallery. Running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. Any thoughts? Or am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
sanj said:
bigmag13 said:
what exactly is this for?
i do own a 5D3 and a Mac. what is the benny or what is this codec for?
please explain.

The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats in Window Live Photo Gallery as well as other software that is based in Windows Imaging Codecs (WIC).
Installing this package will allow supported RAW camera files to be viewable in Windows Explorer.
This package is available in both 32-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_x86.msi) and 64-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_amd64.msi) versions.

Thanks for the clarification. Really enjoyed this feature (browsing RAW images) when I switched to Mac, but I still have to use Windows at work.

Upvote 0